This is not a very stylish way to finish off the ground roll after a nice circuit and landing.  

>http://youtu.be/K3szh_1wYKc

The glider is a Jantar Standard 2, and is one of two that we have at the Gliding Club of WA.  I had been out flying for a couple of hours on a nice late winter afternoon and as I came in to land I realised too late that the gentle cross-headwind (about 4-5knots) had swung around somewhat to become a cross-tailwind.  In addition, this particular glider is fitted with a different brake to the one I usually fly, the other Jantar in the fleet has a drum brake, while this one has a new disc brake.  In an effort to pull up the ground roll close to the launch point, I squeezed the brake a bit too hard and pitched the nose forward.  Even when I realised what was happening, I kept squeezing the brake and ended up with the nose on the runway.  While I had my teeth rattled by the jolt, there was no damage to the glider other than some scraped paint which got fixed up easily.

Otherwise, the circuit and landing were great!   :P 

Some more videos, with better outcomes, coming soon!

Cheers,

Derek

• Upvote 1

Really enjoyed that video. Well maybe not the screeching end.LOL

Glad I missed the language that followed.

Expensive flight for the owner.

Anthin. >:(

Nah, it didn't cost much to fix.  A little bit of epoxy filler and some paint 8)

Thanks again Derek for sharing your gliding experiences. I am amazed at the agility of the aircraft and the skill required to do those turns on final and line up with centre. I just can't seem to nail it 100% in FSX :)

Very nice vid Derek, would have loved it if you kept the colourful language in, but bleeped over for maximum effect. The glass canopy looked to be a little bit of a handful, I hoped it was not going to be the second casualty. The beauty of gliding I guess is that any scrape on the fuselage does not end in fire ( no engine no fuel no fire).

Thanks for the comments everyone :)  I've got some more video coming soon...

Thanks again Derek for sharing your gliding experiences. I am amazed at the agility of the aircraft and the skill required to do those turns on final and line up with centre. I just can't seem to nail it 100% in FSX :)

I think it's actually easier in real life than in a simulator.  There's a lot to be said for the effect of having peripheral vision giving you attitude cues, and also to the physical sensations that tell you what the aircraft is doing.  Part of the reason I'm not flying in FSX as much any more is that I now find it difficult without all those peripheral and non-visual cues to help me!

Very nice vid Derek, would have loved it if you kept the colourful language in, but bleeped over for maximum effect. The glass canopy looked to be a little bit of a handful, I hoped it was not going to be the second casualty. The beauty of gliding I guess is that any scrape on the fuselage does not end in fire ( no engine no fuel no fire).

The removable canopy is actually very thin acrylic, and doesn't weigh much at all.  It is fragile and awkward to handle though, and is an unfortunate feature of older gliders like the Jantar.  Modern gliders tend to have forward hinged one-piece canopies.  Many a removable canopy has been damaged during removal, or by being stepped on while exiting the cockpit.  I've smashed one myself, because I cocked up and didn't secure it properly before launch - and at $4k to replace it can get expensive.

Thanks Derek,

I knew the canopy was some kind of acrylic, at least that's what I should have said instead of glass. I imagine it is high impact acrylic hence the 4k pricetag, I am also wondering wether glider pilots prefer to land on a grass strip rather than a hard bitumen runway, the landing may be bumpier but less prone to scraping the fuselage or wing tip when balancing to nearly stopped.

It was interesting reading your impressions of Virtual gliding as a opposed to Real gliding, visual cues and the sensation of lift and the lack of lift is some thing that simulation just can't replicate. I try to vary my virtual flying experiences wherever possible, and after doing a couple of the glider missions have come to really enjoy the challenge.  

Using the rules layed out in FSX regarding where to find thermals and how to ride them from one to another. Turning off the thermal visualisations I try to stay aloft for as long as possible without panicking with slew "Y"  The variometer can get a little annoying after an hour, but as it replaces visual cues in-sim I put up with it. Wingflex is another impressive part of the glider experience more so than any other type of aircraft .

One thing which has made virtual gliding more enjoyable for me is the use of Accufeel, wind noise and drag rumble creating a more realistic experience.

Very much looking forward to your next gliding video.