Sign in to follow this  
Biggles2010

FlightSimStore slow download speeds

For the last few days I've  attempted at various times to download the 1.30 update to FTX Global.

Each time I've given up because download speeds, on either server, at different times of day, have started at only 400 to 600Kbs, and have quickly degenerated to around 200Kbs.

The last estimate for the 4.1 Gb download was 13 hours and increasing when I cancelled it. I know there are times of high demand when things slow down, but this seems excessive.

Obviously I've raised this with FlightSimStore and I'm waiting for their reply.  I'm curious to know if others have experienced this problem.

I have a reasonably fast broadband connection, for the UK,  at around 14Mbs. and I usually get a steady 1.6Mbs on downloads from other flight sim vendors.

My previous downloads from FSS have been slower than from other vendors, but usually at least 600 to 900 Kbs.

Since Orbx only supply FTX Global and their other products as downloads through FlightSimStore it cannot be in their interest to have poor download capability.

jbee

Clear your cache, clear your temp files, clear your cookies. Download www.internetdownloadmanager.com (Free Trial, I have been using this since Version 1 and own the software, I would never live without it anymore, highly recommended) this will allow you also to resume at a later stage. After you download this, reboot your computer, reset your modem and try it again, 100% confident you will not have issues anymore. 

Just tried it using Server1 with no Download Manager and it starts off slower at 1.2mb/s and slowly gets faster holding steady around 3mb/s. 

With a download manager it managed around the same.. Not great, but not bad either. On release day I was getting a solid 9.5mb/s throughout.

I am getting a strange ping from your IP to be honest, most packages are failing at the first node after it bounces at your ISP, there might be a local DNS issue, perhaps grab your ISP's livechat about that 

I have had the same experience as Biggles. From either of those two servers the speed is between 200 Kb/s and 400 Kb/s.

On the same day I downloaded Windows 10 and the speed was 4900 Kb/s.

Hmmm I would suggest to download it using the same software I suggested, I just got the same download in 22 minutes without a problem, same server and 24 minutes from the other one

Using those two servers has always been slow. Download speeds for other files directly from the Flightsim Store seem normal.

I think I must have used every download manager available but they all behave the same.

Reading through the posts again I notice that if you live in Aussie you get reasonable speeds. If you are in the UK and half a world away in NZ you don't. It seems unlikely to be anything to do with download managers when downloads from any other site are fast.

That reminds me that when I was at my friend's place last week and he was downloading the global 1.30 update he was only getting 200 Kb/s. We abandoned the attempt because it was too slow. He said he's try it again and let it run all night.

No, no correlation, I just remotely logged in to a machine of friend of mine in Canada and one in Woking, UK, using IDM, it was ever faster for both of them then it was for me 

I just discovered your server testing post and tried each of them out with the 1GB file. I didn't download the whole file as the results were obvious immediately.

Mediafile reached a maximum speed of 671 Kb/s and no resume support.

All the others downloaded at 4900 Kb/s with resume support.

Come to think of it, mediafile was involved in all those slow downloads I experienced.

It seems likely to me, at least, that that is where the problem is.

I can confirm that Mediafile is very slow in Germany, too. I got only about 1000 kb/s and sometimes as low as 400 kb/s yesterday. I really hope the flightsimstore can find a different filehoster. The Google Drive downloads which Orbx provides are very fast for example. 5 mb/s are no problem.

Thanks everyone for the fast responses and the efforts you have made to check this out.

It certainly appears from these that the issue occurs mainly outside Australia.

Regarding the good advice from JayKae, I always run downloads with cache, temp files and cookies cleared. The download manager is a good tool for long downloads, because they are more likely to be interrupted.

However it does not necessarily increase the actual download speed, despite some of the claims made for them.

I had a reply from FlightSimStore today which basically said sorry, but that I should expect slow downloads because Orbx had released new software.  But they have at least referred it to their server operator. 

I run a home cockpit setup and I download a lot of software.  I do not have any problems with any of the other main vendors.  I even get good speeds from Lockheed Martin.

FlightSimStore is consistently the slowest site for downloads.  As this is the only outlet for Orbx products it could have an impact on future sales.

Footnote:  Just tried again and currently showing around 1.24 Mbs on both servers.   Not great, but still a 600% improvement.

It was too good to last. 

I started the download from server 1, then showing 1.24 Mbs at the same time I posted the previous message.

Within 5 minutes it was down to 1Mbs.

As I post this it's 620  Kbs and now reducing by 1 Kbs  every second.

This is not acceptable.

This is not acceptable.

That's like looking out the window, seeing it's raining, and saying "that's not acceptable, I wanted it to be sunny".

There are many many reasons why the internet slows up for different users in different parts of the world.  It could be a bottleneck in a satellite link or an undersea cable, it could be congestion at your local ISP, it could be hundreds of WoW gamers in the next city.

As many have reported, download speeds are good in many locations.  Therefore, FSS files servers are not to blame.  In my (limited) experience, local ISP caching and restrictions cause the majority of problems.

If I strike a slow download that's going to take hours, I set up Free Download Manager just before I go to bed, and when I wake up in the morning, 9 times out of 10 even a 4GB download is there waiting for me. Stress-free.

• Upvote 3

Thank you John could not have said it better myself. I don't think the others realise what CDN is the mediafire link is just a springboard to one of the nodes the file does not get served from Mediafire . My servers deliver 2-3TB a day if there were problems these forums would be swamped ... Guaranteed

Re the post by John Dow,   I'm not sure if this is in a private capacity, or expressing the official Orbx view, but it comes across as rather dismissive.

My post was intended to be constructive and I certainly don't want to use the forum for whining.

I'm not a computer novice, and I am well aware of the reasons for internet slowdowns at various times, and I agree that local issues with ISPs can be a problem. 

However, if you read my original post I made clear that the slow speeds available for FSS downloads do not occur with other software vendors to anything like the same extent.

I run a full home cockpit and download a lot of software.

I get consistently fast downloads from Aerosoft, Flight 1, SimMarket, Lockheed Martin etc.  Their servers in America and Europe route through the same ISP, the same modem and to the same pc.

Each and every download attempt, (not just recent ones)  from FSS has been slow.

I agree with Jay Kae that if it was a widespread problem you would expect more posts about it, and it appears that experiences vary within individual countries. 

None the less, some of the posts show that others are noticing the same issue, and of course many people just accept these things without posting about them. 

I am in the USA, and on occasions have to  run a large DL overnight..no big deal.. I get the product in the end..I see little to be gained by "he said, she said" type posts. John Dow made a valid point, and stated an opinion. That is what forums are for.. Teecee.

In regional areas of Australia we have what we call 'Stone Age' Broadband. My download speeds average between 400 and 600KBs. Our previous Government was building a National Broadband Network that would provide up to 100MBs but averaging around 50MBs. New "Government" original NBN killed off and replaced with their version that would provide a download speed of 12MBs.

So anyone who can get an average d/l speed of 1.6MBs just be thankful.

I've just been testing the download speeds of some of the stuff I've bought from the Flightsim Store.

Using Global CDN1 for all the downloads, if there is "mediafile" in the URL, absolutely, without exception, they are slow and resume is not supported.

On the other hand, if there is no "mediafile" in the URL they are fast - very fast.

This is using the same computer, the same download manager, the same ISP, the same time of day.

The answer seems simple - get rid of "Mediafile".

LOL'ing at the first world problems!!

Leave a download manager running and go do something else, getting new scenery downloads instantly is hardly worth getting your knickers in a twist over!

• Upvote 1

Well it is 2015 now - And Im getting the same super slow download of GlobalBase130.

Windows download fluctuating between 17 hours and 3 days to download, 3 DAYS !!

Not good!

The Global Vector at almost 7 Gigs downloaded in 15 minutes from UK to East Coast USA

They gotta fix this !!

Nothing to fix I just downloaded the same in less than 40 minutes using Windows download is not good always use a download manager of some sort of description

Also it's not actually a media fire download it's used as a distributing link

Welcome to the forum....I just tried the download and it's coming across at 63Kb/sec. That's the download limit of my IPS. At that rate the entire download is 9 minutes 43 seconds. As Jay says, the problem isn't on the FSS side. You might want to look at Internet Download Manager as a part of a possible solution. Using a download manager will at least eliminate one variable.

Doug

Well it is 2015 now - And Im getting the same super slow download of GlobalBase130.

Windows download fluctuating between 17 hours and 3 days to download, 3 DAYS !!

Not good!

The Global Vector at almost 7 Gigs downloaded in 15 minutes from UK to East Coast USA

They gotta fix this !!

Same here, from Japan. Other downloads work fine, with full speed. Tested it by downloading a different file at the same time. This is not a problem on my end. The mediafire links are broken, at least outside of Australia.

Edit: For further reference, I just used the 10 MB test-downloads from Jay Kae, the mediafire one would take several minutes, the random one from Germany was done is 10 seconds.

Well Guys, Left downloads over night. Base finally come in at about 4hours download. But zip was broken with 2 of the file inside not unzipping. Downloaded again, this time other files broken, so was able to assemble installation set from 2 downloads.

Same problem with Vector, but I've now downloaded it 10 times from all the servers and still cannot get a OrbxFTXGlobalVector120.10 file that is not broken in the zip.

Oh yes and I now use GetRight for downloads, full paid version.

This is getting super frustrating having to download tens of gigs but have one file stopping install.

Can anyone just give me a link to a working OrbxFTXGlobalVector120.10 ??

Update: I have done everything everyone suggest on this forum in multiple threads : 

I've tested from 8 different geographic locations one faster than the other on 4 different continents I can't fix what isn't broken unfortunately

Well Jay, the problem is now not the download speed, but that every time I open the zip another part of it is broken.

I just need one file now OrbxFTXGlobalVector120.10

I am assuming you did not use a download manager ?

If you did not, I would suggest to try it again using www.internetdownloadmanager.com (free trial, once used you will never want to go back)

To be fair and honest, I purchased more than 60 Orbx produsts by using the download manager as said above and faced no problem on slow downloading speed. May be the problem is on the internet service of your region.  That is my experience.