Okay another dumb question. I read about guys having a rave about how good Prepar3D is, so then should I have it, what are the pro's and con's and should I get it? Is it a ORBX system and is my FSX software convertible or do I have to buy new software. Any info would be appreciated, and anything I need to know before/if taking the plunge. Thanks. 

Don

Don,

I would strongly suggest that you spend some time reading.....reading all of the forums with special attention to P3D specialty forums. There is a huge amount of information that has been discussed over the last six months that will answer all of your questions.  ORBX is making a huge commitment to P3Dv2.2 converting all past software and all of the new releases are P3Dv2.2 compatible.  All of the software freeware 1-16 is ready now, Global, Vector and LC Europe too.....there really isn't much of a reason to even thing too much about the move. Learn more from Lockheed Martin forums.  It's the best of the best and it's getting better.

Enjoy,

Henry

• Upvote 1

I own Prepar3dV2.2. It's looking really promising. The only thing that stops me using it full time is not all my aircraft I like to fly from FSX are compatible with it as yet. Hopefully that will change in the next 12-18 months.

• Upvote 1

Why not have them both? Then you can decide which you like best.

• Upvote 1

If you prefer a future-proof sim then go for P3D!

More and more developers will move over to this platform in the comming months.

just out of interest does p3d have people flow in the orbx airports?

also are the pmdg planes compatible? same with fs2crew etc??

I installed P3d 2.2 in July. I had been following from the outside and finally thought i will give this a shot. 

To me the 60 day refund policy from Lockheed was the one that tipped me over the buy side.. So if i didn't like it or if i had issues i can request  a refund. 

So after a few weeks i am deciding to keep it and see where this goes.

I have a Mac (27" i5 with 1Gb graphics card) - so i am running windows on bootcamp - so currently the question of upgrading the graphics card etc are out the window unless i am willing to spend on a separate PC. 

So far - things i like  Beautiful clouds, shadows inside the cockpit , no crashes. 

Things that i don't like - a drop in fps (because of above), not having the free flight selection screen, many of my add-ons would need a migration tool of some sort to work/or native P3D installer 

PMDG don't support P3D yet - i have the NGX for FSX. 

To me at this point - i am going to continue to use both fsx and p3d and keep my eyes open when i buy new products to make sure they are compatible in both and at some point (hopefully) turn off Fsx. 

Sri

Compared to the list of scenery that you've already bought you haven't taken an enormous financial risk buying Prepar3d.

After all it's only US$50 and all that scenery will eventually work with it.

Interesting comments gentlemen. I not sure but I thought I read somewhere that its 32 bit and that 64 bit is just around the corner. if this is correct I  might wait for the 64 bit release. Anyone have any info about this?

Don

The 64-bit version is NOT around the corner. According to a lot of sources that claim to know, that version is not even in ALFA stadium yet and that means it will be at least 1 year before release.

I recently moved from FSX to P3D2, and I'll never go back. P3D2 is much smoother, and the shadows are simply amazing. And it will only get better via updates. In my opinion, it is the sim of the future.

Hi, gents,

For my part, abandon FSX? No, I cannot: I need to fly my F/A18-E and the PMDGs. 

At the moment I live with them. I know that P3D is the future, it seems. So I use both. It's okay as well.

When PMDG and VRS migrate to P3D, so I'm thinking of staying with one simulator.

Cheers,

Okay, so is the recommendation to have both for now. I use FSX for the software I have and any future software buy software that can be run on both systems or maybe for just P3D as eventually that is where I will finish up. If this is the case, can I run them both off my main HD which is 2tg, 1.5 available as of now, or do I have to run it off a separate HD?

Don

Greetings Don,

I had both FSX and P3D (both versions) on a 1.5TB drive with room to spare. I've since uninstalled FSX and have somewhere around 900GB free.P3D1 will be uninstalled when a few more of my favorite Orbx airports are ready for P3D2. ;)

Respectfully,

Brian

Don,

I have FSX and P3D 2.2 installed. I don't fly PMDG and my first "post" P3D purchase was the EMT migrator. I found quickly that I didn't even bother starting FSX anymore and ONLY keep it there to help with installing SOME sceneries etc into P3D.

Number 1 bonus for me is the VAST improvement in "out of the box" performance (I hate spending weeks tweaking for each ten minutes' flying), second, the improved graphics. P3D as it is would keep me happy. 2.3 should be the icing on the cake performance wise.  

In the words of Lindsay Buckingham...never goin' back again.....

I bit the bullet and moved over. Been in the process of doing it all in the past week.

The only thing I'm struggling with at the moment is finding rock solid "settings". I've read that the CFG doesn't need tweaking so I'm gonna run with that, I'm over all that. I'd be happy if I never had to open it.

Just trying to find a happy relationship between the sims settings and nvidia inspector.

I am seriously considering a move to P3D. My old PC suffered a motherboard and GPU failure over two weeks ago, and (hopefully) my new PC will be delivered tomorrow. That has given me the perfect opportunity to take the plunge. However, if I do decide to purchase P3D, then it will be a total commitment. In other words, I do not intend to install FSX at the same time. I have been told that most of my addons will work in P3D, so long as I use the Migration Tool to install them. I am well aware that the PMDG 737NGX is unlikely to work, but that is a compromise that I will just have to accept for the moment.

Thanks Brian, I was curios about disc space running both, that puts my mind at rest a lot. Guys a further question, if I go P3D v2 and I buy new software applicable to both, is it permissible to download onto both systems, and also not cause problems with either? Maybe once I get going I wont want to install on FSX just buy for and build P3D. If P3D has extra good graphics, then is REX a waste of money? 

Don  

REX is defenately not a waste of money!! The default clouds still look silly compared to the HD textures REX uses... With the upcoming REX Weather Direct and Weather architecture programs there is much more to come but only textures

Thanks yorkfield.

So guys I've had a visit to the Lockheed Martin site and I guess the Academic License is the one that pertains to me, and I might wait a bit as apparently the ver 3 is close to release, might as well have the latest version. Also Darryl mentioned "EMT Migrator", is this something I will need to marry everything together happily, and do I get it from Lockheed or FSS?

Don

In my opinion, forget the migrator tool. I haven't used it in a year, being almost everything is moving to triple installers. I think it is now unnecessary. In fact, I removed it completely and haven't missed it.

Cheers,

Todd

Except Todd that on some systems the Triple installers don't work. I installed Pilots Global/Vector off DVD four times with the P3D installer and on each occasion it stopped after nearly completing  disk 5 (a significant time investment over two nights!!!) By choosing FSX and using EMT it went on with no trouble at all, first go. I had the same trouble with an aircraft too..not sure which one though now. And much of the older stuff I have (some things have not been udated with them but are still able to be purchased now)  has no triple installer but I still wish to use them. (I have NO connection with the EMT software designer BTW)

Then again..I come from a generation most of whom who could not be bothered lining up for two days in the rain to get the latest iphone, so I don't pounce on every new scenery/aircraft release with its accompanying new fangled installers :)  And no, I don't even own a mobile phone....

My advice to you is spend $10 bucks for a one month non recurring dev license and give it a go. If it works out for you then buy it, if it doesn't then you're only 10 bucks out of pocket and a million bucks the wiser.

Version 2.3 although arguably will be better (bug fixes, small performance increase etc.), won't be massively different from what you can currently achieve with 2.2.

I enjoy both. FSX is used for multiplayer because most of flying friends & server have not switched to LM, and some of my acft don't work in LM. Both FSX & LM are installed on own dedicated SSD. I use LM for off-line flying, excellent product & support. At some point, I will totally switch to LM. As others have indicated - do lots of reading - Good luck!

In my opinion, forget the migrator tool. I haven't used it in a year, being almost everything is moving to triple installers. I think it is now unnecessary. In fact, I removed it completely and haven't missed it.

Cheers,

Todd

Sorry, but I would have to disagree completely!

I tried running P3D without the migration tool, but now I don't fly without it. I just could not get EZDok to work without it (and yes, I was using the latest 1.17 beta). As soon as I enabled virtual FSX in the migration tool, it worked fine, as did many other utilities (such as, for example, CumulusX, which I use when flying gliders).

In the end, it just depends on your system and what utilities you want to run - you can try using P3D without the migration tool, and if you have no incompatibilities, then that's fine. But if you do encounter any compatibility issues, then the migration tool is well worth the small cost, in my opinion.

I tried running P3D without the migration tool, but now I don't fly without it. I just could not get EZDok to work without it (and yes, I was using the latest 1.17 beta). As soon as I enabled virtual FSX in the migration tool, it worked fine, as did many other utilities (such as, for example, CumulusX, which I use when flying gliders).

In the end, it just depends on your system and what utilities you want to run - you can try using P3D without the migration tool, and if you have no incompatibilities, then that's fine. But if you do encounter any compatibility issues, then the migration tool is well worth the small cost, in my opinion.

Have I missed something here? The migrator toool is used to install add-ons NOT developed for P3D into P3D, as far as I know. It has NOTHING to do with running the sim, how could it? 

By the way I use EZDok in my P3D without any problems and I have not even installed EE Migrator Tool!  ::)

Of course you should have it! Everybody should have it! 8)

Have I missed something here? The migrator toool is used to install add-ons NOT developed for P3D into P3D, as far as I know. It has NOTHING to do with running the sim, how could it? 

By the way I use EZDok in my P3D without any problems and I have not even installed EE Migrator Tool!  ::)

The migration tool is in fact much more than an installation utility.

It has a feature called "Virtual FSX", which, when enabled, essentially makes installers designed for FSX think that the P3D root folder is the FSX root folder, thus allowing FSX addons to install into P3D.

But this also allows various .exe or .dll modules that require FSX to be running to work correctly, to work with P3D by fooling them into thinking that FSX is running whenever P3D is running.

This was why I could not get EZDok to work correctly with P3D - it always gave me a message saying "FSX process not detected" (even after trying all the tricks described in various forums). As soon as I installed the migration tool and enabled Virtual FSX, it worked fine. It also allowed the EZCAConfig.exe to write the config info to the aircraft in my P3D directory, whereas previously it would only write to the FSX directory.

So it does a lot more than just installations.

Don,

I would strongly suggest that you spend some time reading.....reading all of the forums with special attention to P3D specialty forums. There is a huge amount of information that has been discussed over the last six months that will answer all of your questions. 

This is wise advice.

BladderBoy, yep I agree and I am reading and reading and reading, and the more I read the more confused I get with everybody's different opinions. So I guess pretty soon I will have to "bite the bullet" and go with whatever I decide from the info you guys have been so kind to supply. As I'm new to FS a lot of the computer software technology speak means little to me. I was told I had a HUGE learning curve in front of me, when I got into this, and that was a HUGE understatement. :(

Don   

I'm late to this discussion, and though I'm a P3DV2 user, ( and an EMT user ) I recommend that if you have a lot of Orbx scenery, then stick with FSX. I have scenery ( e.g Cairns, Alice Springs and Broome ) that I bought at the end of last year and I've yet to be able to install them, for lack of triple installers. Additionally, none of my UK airfields ( Old Warden, Elstree etc ) can be used, for the same reason. If thats going to be a problem for you too, then stay with FSX.

Be warned that installing Orbx non P3D2.2 ready sceneries can really screw up you installation!

I tried to install Compton Abbas a while ago, and although It appeared in the sim, there were serious issues with autogen draw distance. Literally a mile out from my aircraft, the scenery was flat with no autogen at all. No matter where I loaded the sim, this would happen.  I tried many methods to fix, but nothing seemed to have worked. So I had to do a complete reinstall of P3D2.2 and now everything is back to normal.

See this thread on the whole subject 

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/80468-p3d-draw-distance-issues-since-installing-latest-object-flow/