Help! taking delivery of new pc this week : i7-4790k 500gb SSD, 780ti 3 mb and 16 gb ram. eternal problem........stay with FSX or bite the bullet and move to P3d?!!

A nice dilemma to be in though!

Kev.

With those specs and the fact that you'll have to install everything anyway, I'd say the time is right to move to P3D2.2 - you won't be disappointed, and v2.3 is just around the corner as well.

Cheers

Jack (a very happy P3D2.2 user)

• Upvote 2

Basically I would also make the change now... However as long as P3D is still a 32-bit programm you could run into trouble regardless of the amout of RAM you have if you load it up with highly demanding add-ons.

So be prepared that you might have to pay again as soon as the 64-bit version comes out. (Maybe a discount?) Unfortunately no time frame was given talking about the release date of it...

By the way: Great system I would go for a similar one! Did you order it completely established already and how much did you pay?

Yorkfield, this is the complete spec. I ordered through Dino Pc (UK) and changed a few bits on the configuration:

PRODUCT Infernodon 4790K

PRICE £1,300.51

Special Deals: Bundle! Green Surge Protector + Included

Bullguard Internet Security

CPU: NEW! Intel Core i7 4790K Included

CPU Overclocking: 4.5Ghz - Extreme Overclock Included

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Extreme Water Cooler Included

Operating System: Windows 8.1 (64-bit) Included

Motherboard: NEW! Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 Included

RAM: NEW! 16GB Corsair 2400mhz Vengeance Pro Included

(2x8GB)

Hard Drive: NEW! Crucial 512GB MX100 SSD £94.40

Additional Hard Drive: Seagate 2TB (Hybrid 8GB £87.59

SSD)

Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA £12.49

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB £115.60

Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio Included

Internet: Wireless 802.11N 300Mbps MIMO PCI-E card Included

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D £41.20

PSU: 850W Corsair RM Fully Modular £46.20

Warranty: 3 Year PromoCare Warranty Included

Subtotal: £1,697.99

Shipping Charges: £15.00

=====================

Total: £1,712.99

Been testing P3D 2.3 beta and I have to say it's gone up another notch, water now looks absolutely stunning, cloud shadows are now much less drain on the system, it's smoother, immersion is the key, that feeling of flying is awesome, clouds are volumetric so you actually feel yourself going into and out the other side, just for fun I turned on bathymetry and took the submersible for a run, it has huge potential, they've added a very subtle foamy water texture which you can see when flying low or under the water it's very impressive, as I said they've put a ton of work into this area.

Not wanting to detract from FSX even with the DX10 fixer it's run it's course and will never do what P3d can.

Go to the videos section of this forum and see for yourself and there 2.2 with some demos from Robains in 2.3 there very impressive.

Cheers

Ken

Hi Torchy

BITE THE BULLET..........

I would not even think of going back to FSX, I purchased P3D as soon as it came out and have experienced the changes. P3d 2.2 is great on my setup which is now a few years old so yours should be great. I run my Intel I7 at 4.7gh with water cooling and P3d is awesome.

DONT LOOK BACK    O0

Ken

Not had a chance to try out 2.3 yet (I WISH I was on the Beta team for that one!) but I had a similar situation... New build, but a power spike caused my PC to shut down during an FSX load... totally screwed up my FSX installation so seeing as I was facing a full reinstall anyway, I just decided to try P3D.

Best decision I ever made... Sure, your rig (similar to mine now) will run FSX in either DX9 or DX10 mode with good performance, but FSX in either mode is starting to get crippled by higher end addons, especially when used in combination, leading to all sorts of memory issues.

P3D, for me at least, seems to run not only better, but also uses less VAS memory for the same situation... And truly, you can't beat the cloud shadows and other fancy extras that's included. 

I'd go with the crowd and say "go for it"...

When I use to have FSX, most of my time was spent tweaking, tuning, tweaking.... getting the hump with it crashing. I was using the config tweaks more than flying. Always trying to find that magic bullet tweak, but could never find it. Then I moved over to p3d1.4... a big improvement but still issues as it was in its infancy.

Since P3D 2.2, I have never looked back too!.. I don't have a single tweak in my config. And now all my time is spent flying. 

Only issue I had with P3D 2.2 was when I tried to install some non P3D ready Orbx products... this completely screwed my autogen draw distance which I could never get back without a reinstall.

I absolutely love P3D2.2 and could never go back to FSX or the like. Runs perfect everytime :)

• Upvote 2

FSX (with DX10) will run like a dream on that rig...

Cheers

Mallard

Not at all!!!!! DX10 would ruin everything for you. Strange how people keep harping on and on about DX10 a product that even Microsoft  recognizes never should have been published, it was just a test and a bad one, 1000-ands of postings on the net confirm it´s a dissaster and still there are some people refusing to realize the fact. Read the DX10 thread on this forum and you will soon realize it will give you lots of problems. P3D and DX11 is the working reality!!!  ::)

Yorkfield, this is the complete spec. I ordered through Dino Pc (UK) and changed a few bits on the configuration:

PRODUCT Infernodon 4790K

PRICE £1,300.51

Special Deals: Bundle! Green Surge Protector + Included

Bullguard Internet Security

CPU: NEW! Intel Core i7 4790K Included

CPU Overclocking: 4.5Ghz - Extreme Overclock Included

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Extreme Water Cooler Included

Operating System: Windows 8.1 (64-bit) Included

Motherboard: NEW! Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 Included

RAM: NEW! 16GB Corsair 2400mhz Vengeance Pro Included

(2x8GB)

Hard Drive: NEW! Crucial 512GB MX100 SSD £94.40

Additional Hard Drive: Seagate 2TB (Hybrid 8GB £87.59

SSD)

Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA £12.49

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB £115.60

Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio Included

Internet: Wireless 802.11N 300Mbps MIMO PCI-E card Included

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D £41.20

PSU: 850W Corsair RM Fully Modular £46.20

Warranty: 3 Year PromoCare Warranty Included

Subtotal: £1,697.99

Shipping Charges: £15.00

=====================

Total: £1,712.99

Hmm not even as expensive as I thought.... I see you go for a fast SDD. Does this make any difference performance-wise compared to a "normal" HDD?

I have my FSX installed on a partition of a HDD and sometimes loading times are really long even with use of O&O defrag

Not at all!!!!! DX10 would ruin everything for you. Strange how people keep harping on and on about DX10

And it's strange that I've been running DX10 without any hiccups since the Fixer came out. Never tweaked anything ever again... Brilliant, fluid, no OOMs, no CTDs - unless I really throw everything at it. But I also read the P3D forums here and elsewhere since day one - and please don't try to tell me that that's a "fly it out of the box" sim.

Cheers

Mallard

I love my FSX DX10 with all the trimmings! My time is spent flying and NOT tweaking...smooth as butter!!! Took seven years but awesome!

But if I had your rig...

P3D all the way!!!

O0

During a decision of a reinstall, I picked to just go with P3Dv2, and never loaded FSX again. Best choice I have made so far in my simming experience. I am trying to upload a video now of my high settings, the AXE, Orbx and all so show everyone, but youtube is telling me to expect a 17032 minute upload time!  :blink:

• Upvote 1

Go for P3Dv2.2 the only drawback I can see is that all of the ORBX is not ready...yet.  With 2.3 soon, I don't this there is any question.....but with that said, I keep FSX because now and then I like to retro with silver wings and gold wings.  I even have FS2004 for the same reason...there are some add ons that just won't convert, but I have the space.  What do I fly normally is modern versions of the big radials on P3Dv2.2, nothing compares. Do it!!!

Henry

I'll throw a curved ball....why not have BOTH!!

no reason not to and if you have any problems FSx is still there :)

Most software is now being updated with dual installers,so it might take a bit of time,but you will have a good backup.

steve

I'll throw a curved ball....why not have BOTH!!

Ah, Steve! Please don't bring reason or sense into this discussion!! :D

Cheers

Mallard

(actually that was just what I thought some minutes after typing my first contribution to this thread)

Hi Bruce,

Not if one sim is high an fast, while the other is low and slow! ;)

Respectfully,

Brian

That's a beauty rig!!

I would say " bite the bullet"

Looks like a pretty good price too!

Hi everybody, thank you for so many good answers!

I'm sold - P3D it is! Now, all I have to do is wait a couple of more days for delivery. Looks like the garden is going to come in for a bit of neglect over the next few weeks!

Kev

• Upvote 1