Hi guys

I'm sure some of you also made the decision to fly one of those really complex but outstanding simulations of PMDG...especially the 737 NGX or now the 777...

I decided to go with the smaller 737 first but for me the complexity is overwhelming (as I stick with GA-aviation most of the time)

So my question is how did you manage to really master all the functions/features of these complex simulations? (Manuals, books, learning by doing, flyaoamedia)

And how much time did it take you to master your first "as real as it gets" - flight?

Take care

Mat

Hi guys

I'm sure some of you also made the decision to fly one of those really complex but outstanding simulations of PMDG...especially the 737 NGX or now the 777...

I decided to go with the smaller 737 first but for me the complexity is overwhelming (as I stick with GA-aviation most of the time)

So my question is how did you manage to really master all the functions/features of these complex simulations? (Manuals, books, learning by doing, flyaoamedia)

And how much time did it take you to master your first "as real as it gets" - flight?

Take care

Mat

It all comes down to repetition. When dad was getting training for the NG with Southwest, he said most of it was memorizing flows (procedures) and then simulation time over and over again until he got it!

Mat, If you really want to master the PMDG 737, I would look at the extensive training from Angle of Attack:  http://www.flyaoamedia.com/pmdg-737-ngx-training/ .     It is not inexpensive but very thorough.    The captains package provides systems training (groundwork), flight training (flightwork) and a three month subscription to linework which simulates working on a schedule.    The downside is that the videos are online only at the base price , it costs a little more to download and save the HD videos but probably worth it to digest it at your own pace.   They also offer a free trial and every once awhile have sales on their training products.

Mike 

Hi Matt..if you search PMDG 737 NGX or similar in YouTube there are just heaps of tutorial vids on every operation of the aircraft.

I recently got the NGX myself so have been doing this to get my head around the FMC/CDU.

It's all good..just get a cuppa and settle in and watch and take notes and you will be auto landing in no time !

Cheers Stu

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PMDG has made tutorials for the 737 and 777. They're in the PMDG Operations Center. 

I had to go through the 737 tutorials about 3-7 times before I could fly it without forgetting anything etc. Once you learn how to fly the 737 then it'll be easy to fly the 777. :D

One more for the two PMDG NGX tutorials.

What has helped me with every new aircraft is, creating checklists (as per the official FCOMs/FCTMs) for them myself. I still use FlightDeckCompanion for that purpose but MCE and other payware or freeware utilities can do this as well.

I absolutely completely agree with going for Angle of Attack also referred to as AOA ( go for ? I think it's the captains package ). Just brilliant for around $60. Without it, I couldn't have got there. Whilst there is lots of stuff on youtube, youtube is just not structured and goes all over the place good for some specifics, but not starting to learn the 737. AOA is completely step by step structured, views of panels being used are clear and far better than most youtube videos so you can actually see the buttons being pushed properly, and the step by step process is worth every cent.

And combine this with Mike Ray's book on the 737 NGX from PC Aviator, you have the two tools you need. This is not cheap at $70+, but it steps you through and explains the why's so you no what is going on. You you use this to use in your actual flights to step you through each step. AOA's documents lack this one part.

AOA and Ray's book gives you a complete package. Just blow the budget buy both and you will save so much time and effort.

The hardest part of learning the 737 is I think the FMC. On youtube, type in FMC in the search bar and look for the video that goes for 22 mins and 1second by ReNewReVeiws. This is the best FMC training video I have found. The FMC part of Ray's book is really good, so are AOA's, videos, but really you need this video just to tie it all together.

The other difficult part is SIDS AND STARS. FSXGenius has a great learning video on this on youtube that goes for an hour, but again only useful after AOA and Ray's stuff, again as for just rounding up of the learning.

This is only my opinion, I tried youtube, and I tried the PMDG manuals (that whilst brilliant in content just put me to sleep after a couple of pages - it's a really boring and dry read .... but it is written like a boring technical manual just as the Boeing manual would be, and you need some of it to set up the 737 on FSX).

Hope this helps.

Edited by Spacey

Thanks guys for the inputs!!

I've already bought the AOA Groundwork training and I also plan to accomplish the Flightwork soon after...Only theory seems to be a rather insufficient way of learning. So better just hop into the aircraft and see what's happening when you push the buttons...

The manuals that come along with the 737 NGX are just huge. Respect to somebody who really finds the motivation to go through all those pages again and again until beeing ready to master the aircraft but I think for me it's just not an efficient way of learning. Watching videos and flying some tutorials seems to be the way to go

Although AOA seems to be the perfect choice (and the videos really look nicely) I'm not quite sure about the status of their products... For example is Flightwork for 737 NGX now COMPLETELY done or do I have to wait years for it to reach completeness?

Their homepage also seems to be a complete mess and I struggled finding detailed information about the real content of their product. Also when the release of Groundwork was around the corner they really struggled implementing a good customer strategy and let their customer pay for an unfinished product and dragging the release of the videos months away from the actual "release date"

That's why I have some concerns about AOA...Did anybody have the same impression?

Other than Linework which is a subscription model, both the Groundwork and Flightwork training lessons are finished.   So you do not have to wait for more to be completed.    

Mike

You Tube is really good for learning the cockpit. I would run my sim while watching a vid and do a lot of pausing. I also take a lot of notes and going from vid to sim to get myself familiar with where everything is in the cockpit and eventually I get it.