No names, no pack drill, but "someone" has put out a new 19M mesh for Aus,, it's not cheap, but I was wondering if we would see any improvement over the existing Orbx mesh? Teecee.

I'm pretty sure they said 76m mesh is fine because Australia is mostly flat. I guess some more detailed areas could see an update though.

Perhaps the coast lines? I remember those being square-ish when I flew in Aus.

Any higher definition would help increase the 'recognisability' of hills, ranges and mountains. The big question though would be 'is it just an interpolation of the existing public domain 76m data?' In which case it would make no difference. 

Greetings All,

According to the press releases in my email, the new data is from an outfit out of Colorado called Intermap. They definitely have the resources to provide the required resolution....

I don't know how it works the same in FSX or P3D, but I know that as a soldier on the ground, the difference in detail between 1:24000 and 1:50000 is great enough to be able to pick a spot to hide an old M151 (jeep). ;)

Respectfully,

Brian

I have bought two of the aussie mesh packets and it definitely makes the landscape more realistic.

Thanks people.. I was hoping that this would be the outcome..new mesh here I come..Teecee.

"Anyone have a link so I can see if its any good?"

I could not find any "before and after" screenies so bit the bullet and bought NSW VIC and TAS.. and at this point I am trying to evaluate it and do not want to post my impressions, enough to say I am not surprised at the lack of before and after shots, but I hope I am wrong.. Teecee.

After three attempts to install this new mesh, and having to place it well up the scenery library list, I find that I am seeing better ground textures and more undulating surfaces..I will definitely be getting the rest of Aus over time.Teecee.

m1NdF.jpg

Interesting Teecee, do you have co-ordinates for the pic, I couldn't make out your GPS. Is that NSW escarpment or somewhere in TAS.

It's Mt Roland in Tas..Jump to Claude Rd strip (one of the Ozx strips) and it is in sight of it. Teecee.

Thanks Teecee, I am reinstalling now, have not put OZx back yet but will be sure to visit that locale when all up and running. Initial thoughts about your shot are good from memory there does seem an improvement, thanks for the heads up on the 19m AussieMesh.

Is anybody going to say what product is this so we can all play?

Hi Mark,

looks like we're talking about the FSGenesis Nextmap AU series: http://www.fsgenesis.com/nextmap and http://www.fsgenesis.com/regions/rest-of-world/australia

One thing to keep in mind with high-resolution mesh add-ons for Australia is that any polygon flattens included with our FTX AU regions -- primarily rivers and lakes (partial coverage in AU BLUE and GOLD, complete in AU GREEN and RED) -- are based on the Shuttle Radar 90-m terrain data, which is what the "Holgermesh" and PILOT'S Global terrain mesh files use. Thus, there may be local mismatches such as sunken and raised waterbodies. Similarly, any of the OZx airfields and scenery add-ons that rely on specific elevations may not display as intended.

Cheers, Holger

looks like we're talking about the FSGenesis Nextmap AU series: http://www.fsgenesis.com/nextmap and http://www.fsgenesis.com/regions/rest-of-world/australia

...there may be local mismatches such as sunken and raised waterbodies. Similarly, any of the OZx airfields and scenery add-ons that rely on specific elevations may not display as intended.

Thanks. Looks like a bit of a gamble, but maybe worth checking out.

Thanks Holger. At this time I only have NSW,VIC,TAS and have seen nothing untoward..If I do find anything I will report it here..Interestingly, I laid down most of the rivers in Tas some years ago, (endless thanks to Barry Micklejohn for training me) taking them directly from GE, and as I have flown over some of them today I am seeing no problems.There were occasions (not many) where the rivers were on the sides of hills, and if anything I think I am seeing improvement there.

I will get the other states over time, but if anyone gets them I would appreciate comments here because they are not cheap. (at least not for a pensioner) Teecee.

Just out of curiosity, to have better than holgermesh 76m resolution and maintain compatibility with Orbx FTX AU, does FTX AU also have to be updated or is it independent?

Just out of curiosity, to have better than holgermesh 76m resolution and maintain compatibility with Orbx FTX AU, does FTX AU also have to be updated or is it independent?

I don't think I understand the question.

There is no specific compatibility implied between this new mesh and FTXAu products!  They are independent products.  Holger's post above may be worth a second read.

• Upvote 1