The last set of screenshots this week, Yakutat is going forward with testing and moving along at a nice pace. Here are some shots from the seasons that have not been shown off yet, fall, winter, and hard winter. Along with some shots of the bonus airstrip, A68 Situk Airport. Situk Airport isn't much more than a clearing in the forest, but it does have two cabins available to pilots, fishermen, and backpackers. 

Fall on the flatlands

1.jpg

Situk Airport, Eagle Cabin

2.jpg

Situk Airport, Raven Cabin

3.jpg

4.jpg

By November the snowfall starts, RWY 2/20 is not serviced between October and May which includes the runway lighting.

5.jpg

6.jpg

During the hard winter months snow is plowed from the apron and piled into a large mound in the center. The snowpack can reach up to 50ft high!

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Situk Airport, Raven Cabin again. This time showing the typical 2ft of snow piled on the roofs during the winter

12.jpg

Most of the bodies of water freeze over, so get out your skis!

13.jpg

14.jpg

Finally by March or April the bulk of the snow has melted. However the snow mound on the apron sticks around for much longer and gets very dirty. By mid-spring digging equipment breaks it up to expedite the melting process

15.jpg

• Upvote 1

Come on, fellas, When you have seen a 45 ton excavator drive up on a mound of snow? That needs to be replaced with a wheel loader.

Other than that it looks great!

Finally by March or April the bulk of the snow has melted. However the snow mound on the apron sticks around for much longer and gets very dirty. By mid-spring digging equipment breaks it up to expedite the melting process

You are saying that you have photos of somebody using a hydraulic excavator to break up this ice pile?

Looks like an iceberg! :blink: That excavator is pretty much dwarfed.. Wonder how they got the snow up to the top of a pile that high though.

It's plowed and blown on to the top.

The excavator was placed with realism in mind, that snow is compacted tight! I've been constant contact with my local source at Yakutat so accuracy was a priority.

Believe me I like that excavator. I work for that company in RL.

I just am going to have to get use to seeing that thing sitting up there in such a non-standard application.

Believe me I like that excavator. I work for that company in RL.

I just am going to have to get use to seeing that thing sitting up there in such a non-standard application.

Here's two more pictures of the excavator clearing up the snow pile, can't post directly as I'm on my phone:

http://imgur.com/ndDB8ZT,lfrQsDP

I can't make a snow pile quite as crumbly as the real one, that would be an enormous number of polygons. I think I have another picture of a bulldozer sitting right on top of the pile.

Great series of shots.  Question, since we are dealing with a very talented scenery developer...What are your thoughts of making a water reflective puddle around that mound as if its melting and running off? like how we have puddles at YMMB?

Great series of shots. Question, since we are dealing with a very talented scenery developer...What are your thoughts of making a water reflective puddle around that mound as if its melting and running off? like how we have puddles at YMMB?

Well, so it would be more difficult than YMMB to do but still possible, I think. YMMB does not have a ground polygon so the photoreal ground can be used to create reflective puddles. Yakutat is completely covered with a ground polygon, the ground poly is an FS8/9 style polygon so many of FSX's capabilities like reflective surfaces are not possible.

There are some other tricks that are possible and it's a very good idea to bring up. I will investigate it and see if it could be something I can work into a service pack. The apron is often very wet so puddles could be a nice addition.