While I was staring blankly at the school board after finishing my exam, I thought "You know what would be cool? FTX coverage of Singapore and Singapore Changi Airport" I think that Singapore would just be a great product, it's the destination of a lot of flights. Singapore has a lot of flights to Australia and is a stopover for several flights from Australia to Europe. For example from Sydney to London, BIA and SIA stop over in Singapore. Singapore is a great airport to have highly detailed scenery for. I know some previous producers have created Singapore scenery, but I think that if FTX made one they would completely be blown out of the water.

-Kick

• Upvote 1

Damn I was just thinking this a few minutes ago, before I wandered back over here.

+1 and then some.

That place has to be the next Cityscape project. It is a unique East-West City, like Hong Kong, and a major hub with a lot of attraction for FSXer's around the globe. And though it has been done, it has not been done to any standard even starting to approach ORBX quality level. Not close.

Although I'm positive ORBX would do an outstanding job with WSSS, I'm curious as to what in their product portfolio you saw that points to them doing big international airports (which they foreswore in writing on this forum when they cancelled the KPDX project a few years back)?

It is a unique East-West City, like Hong Kong

Ermmm ... if it's unique, its can't be like somewhere else. ;)

I'm sure I asked about the possibility of Singapore once, but I can't remember if it was here or on the Aerosoft forum. I'd love to see the whole island plus some of the outlying islands, particularly Palau Bukom and the offshore lighthouses. If Orbx were to venture into Asia, then this self-contained city state would surely be the place to start. I've many happy memories of Singapore, and would love to see it accurately recreated for P3D.

Imho Singapore is more like Drzewiecki kind of place not Orbx. They've done splendid job with New York and Warshaw, I am sure they can make excellent Singapore. Taxi2Gate's Mexico City and latest LTBA scenery is also amazing, they would be my second choice for Singapore.

If Orbx decides venture into Asia, starting place should be Japan. Japan is richly endowed with beautiul volcanic mountains, forests, rivers, lakes showing distinctive beauty in each season. It's definitely Orbx-kind of place. Plus probably it's economically viable; big flight sim community ready to pay whatever amount Orbx will ask, zero piracy.

FTX Singapore, FTX Caribbean, FTX Florida, FTX Germany ....

We base our product development not on personal requests but on where we believe the market to be, and whilst many of these destinations would make for great projects it ultimately comes down to how many copies we would sell, and Singapore would not be in the top 10 let alone alone the top 50, sorry to disappoint you.

We base our product development not on personal requests but on where we believe the market to be, and whilst many of these destinations would make for great projects it ultimately comes down to how many copies we would sell, and Singapore would not be in the top 10 let alone alone the top 50, sorry to disappoint you.

We all get that. Selling copies is the goal, and this needs to be a metrics-driven determination.

What we don't have is a good working idea of what the market numbers would be. You seem to have a list, almost as though there are FSX addon sales data available out there somewhere. Somehow I had imagined that would be proprietary, but I could be wrong (in fact I often am). The marketing/sales management guy in me has to ask.

BTW, Mathijs would tell you that Lukla was one of their better sellers. So I don't think that it is simply a function of the earning power of the local population.

And anyway I think the point the thread is just a discussion amongst fans of ORBX, John, rather than a serious lobbying effort. Have you never flown over some default area and thought, damn, imagine what THIS place would be like....?

• Upvote 1

BTW, Mathijs would tell you that Lukla was one of their better sellers. So I don't think that it is simply a function of the earning power of the local population.

I've heard that the local Nepali sherpas are avid flightsimmers... 8)

I've heard that the local Nepali sherpas are avid flightsimmers... 8)

There you go, see... I just don't have access to that kind of data : )

FTX Singapore, FTX Caribbean, FTX Florida, FTX Germany ....

Totally understandable, John.

But if companies in the FS Scenery business continue to only release products with a secure market base, then places like Africa or Southern America will always remain bland and generic representations. 

I do understand that it's also the fault of the potential customers, because we tend to fly in places we are familiar with in the real world, just to see how close it mimics our picture of reality. And since the amount of actual simmers in Africa is neglible it will be hard to find enough people who'd buy an FTX Mozambique on the base of first hand experience.

Norway is probably already a gamble for ORBX. 

Nontheless I sometimes wish you guys were a little more adventurous in the pick of your regional packages.  Pick something totally out of the left field like for example Buthan, Venezuela or Jordania, and then win your customers over with the exceptional quality you have presented with PNW and NAC.

• Upvote 1

That's a nice sentiment but tough when you've got to pay a mortgage or you have the responsibility of employing guys who have to pay mortgages. There has to be a workable market to sustain the business and how JV gets to that decision is up to him. It would be nice to know what the longer term plans/thoughts are for the regions on the radar (subject to change of course).

For us Simmers it is fun, only a game with low stakes and no impact on our lives if something fails. For ORBX it is real life with a huge impact on their lives if the market is misjudged. Let JV do his business and we should confine ourselves on playing with what's available.

Spirit

• Upvote 1

For us Simmers it is fun, only a game with low stakes and no impact on our lives if something fails. For ORBX it is real life with a huge impact on their lives if the market is misjudged. Let JV do his business and we should confine ourselves on playing with what's available.

Spirit

very well said

While I can understand that any developer wants to minimize risk and maximize profit, there's another side to the story too IMHO. The world isn't changed by those who merely follow trends and play it safe; it's shaped by those with the vision to think outside the box and go beyond the already well-trodden paths. And in doing so they often create a market that no one knew was even there. Look at Orbx themselves: they put Australia om the FS-map when no other developer had even considered releasing add-ons for that continent. And they have certainly reaped the benefits from that decision.

I personally believe that the continued interest in flightsimming is seriously threatened by developers merely doing the same stuff over and over again (e.g. "another" F-14, F-15 or F-16). You won't be holding the interest of existing customers or even create new customers that way. What I also find rather ironic is that in all walks of life, those who once were "revolutionaries" turn into the most staunch conservatives once they have become succesful. It's a bit like the music industry in the late '60s/early '70s: those that once proclaimed they wanted to smash the system, in the end became the system.

Just my worthless 2 cents ;) .

• Upvote 1

FTX Norway will sell very well indeed, I have no doubt about that at all. It will end up being the "PNW of Europe" and we'll be producing many quality airports for it beginning with Tore's stunning ENNK.

After that it will be SoCal and Alaska and continuing eastward in the USA.

I am not disappointed, honestly speaking, that 's a businessman plan and point of view whereby the company will launch it products or invest  in an area with a larger customer base,

BUT luckily JV hasn't say NO, for what I read it is, it could be queue 50+1, whose knows , one day, he may just change his mind and say let's  do FTX SINGAPORE.

so the HOPE is still there.  Mates

cheers,  ricky1088

..............., FTX Germany ....

Sorry JV.....objections from my side!

I would truly believe that there is a pretty big market here in Germany and as you mentioned much earlier that there is something to come is what we not believe.

The Aerosoft stuff was taken back as it was far away from expectations and the quality we like is simple a FTX region. Its still a dream of us and we are looking forward that you re-think your decision not to make Germany!

Sorry JV.....objections from my side!

I would truly believe that there is a pretty big market here in Germany and as you mentioned much earlier that there is something to come is what we not believe.

The Aerosoft stuff was taken back as it was far away from expectations and the quality we like is simple a FTX region. Its still a dream of us and we are looking forward that you re-think your decision not to make Germany!

The decision not to make FTX Germany has nothing to do with DEX. DEX itself is not continued because someone (whoever that is) is planning something for Germany.

There is good reason we are not doing Germany, as I have alluded to once before.

The development community is rather small, and we all talk to each other, but of course we can't discuss projects that are not our own.

I'm pretty sure you said once in an interview that the goal of Orbx was to cover the entire North America and Europe with FTX regions. Are those plans still valid?

Covering all of North America an Europe sounds like something that would just be amazing, the routes you could fly are just amazing. But one issue that would surface is the integration with other major airport sceneries in these areas.

Covering all of North America an Europe sounds like something that would just be amazing, the routes you could fly are just amazing. But one issue that would surface is the integration with other major airport sceneries in these areas.

I agree that the entire North America and Europe covered with Orbx scenery would be awesome. I'm sure John talked about covering all of North America in an interview, and I think he also said the same about Europe in another.

FTX Norway will sell very well indeed, I have no doubt about that at all. It will end up being the "PNW of Europe" and we'll be producing many quality airports for it beginning with Tore's stunning ENNK.

Please, Sir,

There are already a large number of loyal consumers in the current stage of Orbx system.

Now, hypothetically, I would like to know to better understand:

1 - If these loyal consumers were a number, say, profitable; 

2 - and if those same consumers through an open consultation said they would buy a certain region of Germany; 

3 - and, therefore, after such consultation, the profitable consumer´s number bought a pre-sale of that future region; 

and even then, even with zero risk - will not Orbx develop this region?

Please,

Sinesio

Folks, get a grip with reality. At best of times "Team Holger" could release 3 full fat regions per year. Nowadays they have additional work with P3D and bringing the older regions up to new standards. I guess that means NCA and NOR for 2014, plus reworks on AU, PNW, PFJ, SAK, NRM, CRM, NZNI, NZSI, ENG, SCO and WLS, plus reworks on tons of airports.

If "covering North America and Europe" sounds nice, how does 2030 sound? How many of you would buy an FTX NA Northwestern Mississippi or FTX EU Northern Balkans? How many people who already own PR scenery with autogen in central/western Europe or PR scenery of the US deserts and midwest by MSE would pay additionally for a landclass scenery of the same region?

A full fat region is a lot of investment in time and money, most probably too much for simply "covering the entire....". That's what Global Base, Vector and OpenLC is for. "But I want OrbX quality" does not do it for regions which have been already covered twice or more.

Full fat regions should be for exquisite flying areas, not simply for coverage.

Folks, get a grip with reality. At best of times "Team Holger" could release 3 full fat regions per year. Nowadays they have additional work with P3D and bringing the older regions up to new standards. I guess that means NCA and NOR for 2014, plus reworks on AU, PNW, PFJ, SAK, NRM, CRM, NZNI, NZSI, ENG, SCO and WLS, plus reworks on tons of airports.

If "covering North America and Europe" sounds nice, how does 2030 sound? How many of you would buy an FTX NA Northwestern Mississippi or FTX EU Northern Balkans? How many people who already own PR scenery with autogen in central/western Europe or PR scenery of the US deserts and midwest by MSE would pay additionally for a landclass scenery of the same region?

A full fat region is a lot of investment in time and money, most probably too much for simply "covering the entire....". That's what Global Base, Vector and OpenLC is for. "But I want OrbX quality" does not do it for regions which have been already covered twice or more.

Full fat regions should be for exquisite flying areas, not simply for coverage.

They've already said they want to cover the entire North America, and possibly Europe. Even if it takes 20 more years for that, why not?

And they can always add more teams if they want to speed up development, like they did with Sim720.

They've already said they want to cover the entire North America, and possibly Europe. Even if it takes 20 more years for that, why not?

And they can always add more teams if they want to speed up development, like they did with Sim720.

Sim720? Now that worked like a charm....

"20 more years" means 20 years of paying bills and wages. OrbX is not a hobby but a company.

Sim720? Now that worked like a charm....

"20 more years" means 20 years of paying bills and wages. OrbX is not a hobby but a company.

They brought a new team for the FTX Global range of products and it has worked really well so far. Bringing a new team doesn't mean bringing people new to scenery creation. Sim720 were trained by Orbx, and even though England and Wales weren't great, they improved a lot with Scotland.

While it is 20 more years of paying bills and wages, it is also 20 more years of profit.

England and Wales weren't great. Really? I think they're both pretty good with their patchwork fields - look like the real thing to me. Wish we had some airfields more spread out but that's no reflection on the regions.

England and Wales weren't great. Really? I think they're both pretty good with their patchwork fields - look like the real thing to me. Wish we had some airfields more spread out but that's no reflection on the regions.

The majority of opinions says otherwise.

• Upvote 1

They brought a new team for the FTX Global range of products and it has worked really well so far. Bringing a new team doesn't mean bringing people new to scenery creation. Sim720 were trained by Orbx, and even though England and Wales weren't great, they improved a lot with Scotland.

While it is 20 more years of paying bills and wages, it is also 20 more years of profit.

I take it you haven't noticed that Sim720 has left the boat? They left when they were about to do a "Norway South". Team Holger had to take over and works on a complete Norway now. Therefore they had to leave their work on another Alaska region.

And I doubt that covering whole continents in full fat regions would be profitable.

Two points, 1st  I have to agree that England and Wales are very well done  and as stated above only need a few more airports further north.

2nd  JV and The team have done a brilliant job of transforming our flight sim world so far, 

' perhaps they know what they are doing',

I'm sure they appreciate suggestions for future projects but lets not insult them by telling them how to do a job they are very good at.

JV, keep doing what you do,the vast majority of us love it, thank you all.

• Upvote 2

The Sim720 project was productive for Orbx but we parted company for a myriad of reasons which remain private. The work they produced for us while not being "Holger team standard" was quite well received on the most part for such a young inexperienced team, and continues to sell well for us.

As for conquering the whole world with full-fat FTX regions, that's just not going to happen, thus the reason for the FTX Global family of products.

Meantime team Holger will do their magic for key demographic markets.

• Upvote 1

How many of you would buy an FTX NA Northwestern Mississippi or FTX EU Northern Balkans?

That depends on how good it would captures the essence of those regions.

I take it you haven't noticed that Sim720 has left the boat? They left when they were about to do a "Norway South". Team Holger had to take over and works on a complete Norway now. Therefore they had to leave their work on another Alaska region.

And I doubt that covering whole continents in full fat regions would be profitable.

Of course I'm aware that Sim720 are not working for Orbx anymore! Did I say otherwise?

As for conquering the whole world with full-fat FTX regions, that's just not going to happen, thus the reason for the FTX Global family of products.

I know it's impossible to cover the entire world with FTX regions, but I remember you talking about covering the entire North America and Europe at least. Is this correct or am I remembering wrong?

JV, very pleased to hear this. It'll be amazing once we get a region with Colorado. 

I myself wouldn't buy a region such as "Ohio" if it was released. The reason I bought PNW and CRM and NRM is because of the fact that the Western environment is truly magnificent and alien to me, it's a whole different world. I live in Ohio, I fly a few times a month here IRL and have to be honest, there's not much to look at. 

About Germany, I'm not surprised. As others have said there's a HUGE market in Germany, as there is in the rest of Europe. Owning a plane is very expensive over there apparently, and I just found out a few weeks ago that some of you in Europe have to pay to use an ILS. Thus, many turn to the next best thing, simulation.

To be quite frank, we already have Global, and most of the huge German airports are already created or being made. If OpenLC does what it looks like there will be no reason to make a Germany region. Many of the pictures of Global-Covered scenery in the screenshots section, it's hard to tell the difference between them and the full regions.  

So while I do think people would buy Germany, it's just not worth it since we'll have the best representation of it we've ever seen once LC comes out.

Can I be really naughty request a region please?  ^-^

Japan.

Okay, I know - well doubt - it would ever happen, but what a great place to have a detailed region of?... Mount Fuji as a photoscenery area, and some great cities... some very different and interesting structures and architecture for Autogen, the cherry trees in Spring and maples in Autumn, lots of islands and interesting topography. I think it could be amazing and very different, but that is probably just me... well that's one sold anyway ^-^

Hope you don't mind, not really a serious request, and I'm sure it will look great in FTXG + LC... but I would be at the front of the queue if ever you did a full fat region :smile:

The majority of opinions says otherwise.

I always form my own opinion and do not care what a so called majority of opinions says. I like FTX England and Wales very much!