I have some money, so I'm in the market for a commuter plane for short hops.

Looking at either the BAE 146 by Qualitywings, the Carenado B1900D, or the Razbam Metro.

I'd get both, but here's the thing..

Could the 146 make it out of Cushman and strips of similar length? Or would I need the 1900D or Metro?

Both planes look great. I'd just rather get the one that I could fly into more ORBX airports with.

You guys have recommendations?

-Mac

The B1900D has left me cold... :( the QW146 or metro would be a better bet

That's too bad to hear. I have a few of Carenado's planes and fly them all the time. What was disappointing in it? 

I was also looking at the Grand Caravan Ex. Luxurious interior and GREAT versatility. My kind of aircraft! 

The Metro would be nice since my father flew the thing for 5 years or so at Comair, so he could give me some pointers on it.

That's too bad to hear. I have a few of Carenado's planes and fly them all the time. What was disappointing in it?

I was also looking at the Grand Caravan Ex. Luxurious interior and GREAT versatility. My kind of aircraft!

The Metro would be nice since my father flew the thing for 5 years or so at Comair, so he could give me some pointers on it.

I pretty much have all Carenado's releases...some are superb, yet some lack feel & have a sterile flight dynamic, feeling almost an unfinished product :( I guess you can't hit the back of the net with every shot! This is only my personal opinion, I guess I have far too many aircraft in my hanger and I can't give them all the same amount of love & attention they deserve ;)

I have both,and fly both a lot .VR speed for the B1900D is 110kts so you will be able to take it anywhere..within reason...definetely good for cushman.

The Quality wings RJ/146 package is my favourite.the RJ70 with appropriate flap setting will give you a VR of approx 115 to 120kts .i have taken it in and out of Orcas Isl no problem... Not sure on cushman though..compare strip length I guess.

The problem you may have with the RJ/146 is the stopping distance on landing

No reverse thrust but massive spoilers and large air brakes in the tail cone and full braking will stop you pretty quick,but thinking it may not be as good as reverse pitch or thrust !!

For my money I would go with the Quality wings package

Cheers stu

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This might be odd so don't think I am suggesting this for everybody, but I like to fly aircraft on their real world regional connections routes. That goes for the B1900D, the Dash 8 and the Bae-146. I like looking up some airline schedules and planning some routes/flight plans and all that, and making the hop in whatever aircraft it is that actually makes that flight for real.

I am also considering adding the ATR-72 into the mix as well. Definitely going to get the new CRJ when it comes out. Have not yet tried the Metroliner, but I am looking hard at that one -- particularly since it is comes in a military version as well.

This might be odd so don't think I am suggesting this for everybody, but I like to fly aircraft on their real world regional connections routes. That goes for the B1900D, the Dash 8 and the Bae-146. I like looking up some airline schedules and planning some routes/flight plans and all that, and making the hop in whatever aircraft it is that actually makes that flight for real.

I am also considering adding the ATR-72 into the mix as well. Definitely going to get the new CRJ when it comes out. Have not yet tried the Metroliner, but I am looking hard at that one -- particularly since it is comes in a military version as well.

The Razbam ATR?

That Flight1 ATR is a dinosaur. Very glad Razbam is making a new one.

Hmmmm, yes I knew the Flight1 version was getting long in the tooth, and that is why I have hesitated. All the reviews are good, but dated. I think I might vaguely recall seeing something about RAZBAM doing one but man, it is still a long way off. We'll see.

EDIT: I did just go help myself to the Metroliner a bit earlier, however.

Hmmmm, yes I knew the Flight1 version was getting long in the tooth, and that is why I have hesitated. All the reviews are good, but dated. I think I might vaguely recall seeing something about RAZBAM doing one but man, it is still a long way off. We'll see.

EDIT: I did just go help myself to the Metroliner a bit earlier, however.

Go check out Razbam's facebook page.

Development pictures of the ATR are getting posted weekly!

Don't forget the BN-2 as a commuter.  Might be the most realistic older one out there.  It will get in and out of anything that even looks like a runway with plenty of room to spare.

Ray

Go check out Razbam's facebook page.

Development pictures of the ATR are getting posted weekly!

Yeah, OK. Still it will be a year or two before it is ready. Maybe not that far off on their Saab 340, however. We'll see.

Don't forget the BN-2 as a commuter.  Might be the most realistic older one out there.  It will get in and out of anything that even looks like a runway with plenty of room to spare.

Good call, Ray, that is another really good one -- and it flies in pretty much every FTX region, too. I enjoy that one.

Yeah, OK. Still it will be a year or two before it is ready.

Not AS bad as the 4+ years the CRJ has taken.

I'm quite familiar with the CRJ, my father flew one for 10+ yaers and I've been in the sims for them before.

Let me tell you, this addon better be better than the NGX. We've waited FOREVER for this. 

If it's not at NGX level, well, at least we'll finally have a good CRJ, the folks at Aerosoft haven't ever dissapointed me!

It's too bad you can't get a 15 day or so trial on the aircraft.  I've been wanting to try the 1900 also but at least need a 2d panel for gps.  i don't know how you see a gps in VC only.

Aww, your kidding.. No 2D popup GPS?

Hasn't this been standard in almost all payware for awhile now?

Ray

I totally forgot about that thing. Should've grabbed it when it was on sale for $20 or so last year.

EDIT: Checked Flight1's "Weekly" sale. Still the Skycatcher folks. Looks like not just Cessna is having trouble selling that plane!

Not AS bad as the 4+ years the CRJ has taken.

Good point there, but we are at least now getting close.

Aerosoft rarely disappoints but it is possible, at least in the scenery arena. I wasn't super thrilled with Aspen X and I would not recommend it certainly. Of course now they are doing it over but it really was the only negative example from that publisher that I could name. I agree, they do have a good reputation for quality.

The Majestic Q400 is excellent as well. I like the Metroliner for nostalgic reasons (They used to fly over all the time when I was in college.) As posted above, I can't recommend the BN-2 enough. Oh, and Mike at Flight Replicas is working on a nice D.H. Heron.

I had to decide either for Carenado's B1900D or for Razbam's Metroliner. Finally I chose the B1900D - simply because I liked the aircraft more than the Metroliner. As I already had the their King Air 200 I knew what I had to expect. Even if it's a really nice machine with a high level of fun while flying, I'm still disappointed about some really obvious bugs and missing system depth. (E.g. they should rather have invested their time in a working pressurization system than in a nice looking but almost non-functional FMC that is hardly present in any real B1900D). But apart from that it's still fun if you stick to your own skills and don't look too deep into the functionalities of each system.

I guess the Metroliner would have been the better FS addon, but I don't like the cockpit at all because it looks like a dark prison to me (not Razbam's fault, but Fairchild's ;-) ). Furthermore the P3D version isn't included in the higher price while at Carenado both sim variants are included.

I can second the recommendation for Aerosoft's Twin Otter Extended, especially if you want to fly into small airfields. Furthermore I can highly recommend Carenado's Cessna Caravan (non-EX version) for your purposes (with some modifications to the flight dynamics and the sound).

What about PMDG Jetstream? I don't have it. But it seems to be quite famous among flight simmers.

I had to decide either for Carenado's B1900D or for Razbam's Metroliner. Finally I chose the B1900D - simply because I liked the aircraft more than the Metroliner. As I already had the their King Air 200 I knew what I had to expect. Even if it's a really nice machine with a high level of fun while flying, I'm still disappointed about some really obvious bugs and missing system depth. (E.g. they should rather have invested their time in a working pressurization system than in a nice looking but almost non-functional FMC that is hardly present in any real B1900D). But apart from that it's still fun if you stick to your own skills and don't look too deep into the functionalities of each system.

I guess the Metroliner would have been the better FS addon, but I don't like the cockpit at all because it looks like a dark prison to me (not Razbam's fault, but Fairchild's ;-) ). Furthermore the P3D version isn't included in the higher price while at Carenado both sim variants are included.

I can second the recommendation for Aerosoft's Twin Otter Extended, especially if you want to fly into small airfields. Furthermore I can highly recommend Carenado's Cessna Caravan (non-EX version) for your purposes (with some modifications to the flight dynamics and the sound).

What about PMDG Jetstream? I don't have it. But it seems to be quite famous among flight simmers.

What is there against the Ex version? That's the one I was looking at buying.

Try the RealAir Turbine Duke, almost guaranteed you wont want to fly anything else after :) Specs below :)

Royal Turbine Duke

Engine model

P&W PT6A-35

TBO

3,600 hrs

Passenger Seats

Length

33' 10"

Height

12' 4"

Wingspan

39' 9"

Max Take-Off Weight

7,050 lbs

Standard Empty Weight

4,650 lbs

Max Useful Load

2,400 lbs

Max Useable Fuel

260 gal

Payload @ Max Fuel

750 lbs

Certified Ceiling

28,000 ft

Take-Off Runway

1,000 ft

Landing Runway

900 ft

Max Climb Rate

4,000 ft/min

Time to Climb (25,000 ft)

9 min

High Speed Cruise (29,000 ft)

290+ kts

Fuel Flow

66 gph

Max VFR Range (no wind)

1,100+ nm

If you are interested in the vintage side, check our California Classics, they have a nice Viscount and it's free!  While I do not have the Viscount, Cal Classics have some really nice stuff.  With free, there is no down side...works in FSX and I suspect like most of their offerings, it will work fine in p3d.

I have the Flight1 V814 - after two flights it was stored in my Hangar. Have an eye on the B1900D or the Twin Otter - both great planes for short hauls and flying around PNW and so on

Try the RealAir Turbine Duke, almost guaranteed you wont want to fly anything else after

+1

Sure it's not as big as a Metroliner or a 1900 but it's just silk to fly and very immersive.

You sure know about it when you take your feet off the brakes and start rolling down the runway

One I really like, that's been around for a while, is the Digital Aviation Piper Cheyenne.  All steam gauges and no mickey-mouse GNS430's, instead a Trimble 2000 for GPS'ing - not to mention, weather radar.

the only one of the three OT suggestions I own is the QW BAe.  I have no problems giving it a hearty recommendation,  I love that plane.  as for Cushman's,  I don't think any of them are a real fit for that airport, being a small narrow GA runway, but I'm sure it might be possible for a TO or landing there.  there are some third party fictitious liveries for Horizon and Alaska airlines for flying in the PNW.

Is there more or less room at Cushmans KCMW than there is at Vashon 2S1? The RealAir Turbine Duke has very short T/O and landing capabilities and I have no problems getting in and out of Vashon 2S1 with it. :)

I'll re-affirm a couple of earlier suggestions, the PMDG BAe Jetstream 4100 and the Majestic Dash-8 Q400.  Both are tops in realism and detail.  The Majestic Dash-8 Q400 is good to go in both FSX & P3Dv2.  The PMDG BAe J4100 is listed as non-compatible with P3Dv2 because of the EULA.  Don't tell anyone, this is a secret, but I installed the J4100 into P3Dv2 using the Estonia Migration Tool and it appears to be working, although I've only flown it once so I don't have much to report as far as performance or any bugs using it with P3Dv2.  The PMDG J4100 has about 24 or so different liveries and the Majestic Dash-8 Q400 also has an abundance of liveries.

I would venture to guess that the AeroSoft Twin Otter would be the king of the STOL commuter planes.  IMHO, the Twin Otter should be in everyone's stable/hanger anyway.

Have fun!

TD

I'll re-affirm a couple of earlier suggestions, the PMDG BAe Jetstream 4100 and the Majestic Dash-8 Q400.  Both are tops in realism and detail.  The Majestic Dash-8 Q400 is good to go in both FSX & P3Dv2.  The PMDG BAe J4100 is listed as non-compatible with P3Dv2 because of the EULA.  Don't tell anyone, this is a secret, but I installed the J4100 into P3Dv2 using the Estonia Migration Tool and it appears to be working, although I've only flown it once so I don't have much to report as far as performance or any bugs using it with P3Dv2.  The PMDG J4100 has about 24 or so different liveries and the Majestic Dash-8 Q400 also has an abundance of liveries.

I would venture to guess that the AeroSoft Twin Otter would be the king of the STOL commuter planes.  IMHO, the Twin Otter should be in everyone's stable/hanger anyway.

Have fun!

TD

I don't want to state how I feel on EULAs, that's a whole nother' discussion that doesn't really belong here on these forums. But if it works, that's your pleasure!

I'd buy the Q400 but it's pretty expensive. How's FPS in that compared with the the NGX? How are the systems?

I wish Coolsky would make a DC9-10 model. But give me a new MD80 and F28 first please!

What about the Dash 8?

I saw a video on youtube of the thing taking off. Looks like they rotated after about 15 seconds (Or less!) down the runway.

With the Turbine Duke you will be rotating in a lot less than 15 seconds, and you get an easy 4000' per min climb rate. I have lots of Carenado stuff, some PMDG, A2A, Aerosoft, Flight1, all great airplanes..but nothing has been able to compare to the versatility, quality, bug free, performance, frame rate friendly characteristics of the RealAir Turbine Duke. For exploring and ORBX airport hopping, it has been by far the most awesome piece of software I have yet to experience, even the sounds that it produces are incredible! And of course being able to reverse the props to get into some tight spots works great. :)

Oh..and I do have the Twin Otter (nice airplane..but a slug), and it does not even come close to the nice hot rod abilities of the Turbine Duke hahaha :) Did I mention how agile, maneuverable, forgiving and  STOLish this airplane is? It is also fast, has a great IFR panel and autopilot functions.

The Twin Otter is one of the must have IMHO, goes almost anywhere.  A comment on any aircraft with FMS, If you can't update the data base, I won't buy it. The BAe ranks right up there in the realism department.   My take is that any plane has to fly at least sort a like the real thing....not something that is plain vanilla and looks nice. I like taking a current sectional and flying a route the old fashion way....Low and slow......Orbx scenery allows me to do that in the modern age, for past times I still use fs9 for golden wings and silver wings and FSX for the Vietnam era and p3dv1 for all Orbx and working on v2.  Don't forget the DC-3, still a winner. You can fly the "beam" or fly the Alaska bush....The Q400, a fine machine...But remember you have to enjoy it, and if you do, that's all that matters....we each enjoy different approaches!