Howdy all,

I'm new to the forum, my name is Eric Malcolm, and I'm a custom builder working for AVA-Direct custom computers.

We build a lot of gaming systems, and recently I have been working with a client who was wanting a gaming system dedicated to FSX, which is one of our favorite systems to build.  My configuration was the following, in regards to internal storage:

1 x 120 GB SSD (for operating system)

1 x 120 GB SSD (for FSX)

1 x 1 TB HDD VelicoRapter (dedicated to ORBX files)

My customer called me this morning, saying that he read last night on a forum (not here) that you cannot use this software on a separate internal drive, and that it has to be installed on the same drive as the FSX software.  I'm not sure where he read this, and I don't believe this to be an issue, but I was hoping one you lovely folks could help confirm that the way I envisioned this build should pose no technical problem.

We would be using an ASUS Maximus VI Hero motherboard on the Z87 chipset, in conjuction with an i7 processor and a GTX 780 TI graphics card.

Any help would be appreciated, and if this has already been discussed, I would appreciate a point in the right direction.  Thank you!

-Eric Malcolm

Cleveland, Ohio

Somewhat on-topic - this weekend I completed a clean reinstall of FSX and all of my ORBX goodies to a fresh 250GB SSD, separate from my OS drive. Everything works perfect. And I finally have enough space to have all of my NA/EU/AU regions, airports, Global, Vector, REX4, and 50+ payware aircraft installed simultaneously. Oh joy!

Somewhat on-topic - this weekend I completed a clean reinstall of FSX and all of my ORBX goodies to a fresh 250GB SSD, separate from my OS drive. Everything works perfect. And I finally have enough space to have all of my NA/EU/AU regions, airports, Global, Vector, REX4, and 50+ payware aircraft installed simultaneously. Oh joy!

NO problems with having the OS and the FS on different drives, BUT a 250GB SSD will NOT be enough!!! Beleive me, I have had to reinstall my FS as my add-ons took too much space. 500GB is a minimum. So sorry to say, you have a reinstallation coming up within a year.  ::)

Jack 

the Swede in Spain

• Upvote 1

NO problems with having the OS and the FS on different drives, BUT a 250GB SSD will NOT be enough!!! Beleive me, I have had to reinstall my FS as my add-ons took too much space. 500GB is a minimum. So sorry to say, you have a reinstallation coming up within a year.  ::)

Jack 

the Swede in Spain

Your not wrong,mine is on a 3TB LOL! you never now how big it will be in 10 years time :-)

500GB is a minimum. So sorry to say, you have a reinstallation coming up within a year.  ::)

Indeed you speak the truth. I have about 90GB of free space. 5-10 airports and a couple of meaty regions can eat that up right quick. Open LC? Already a bit worrisome.  :-[

I back up all of my install executables on a 1TB HD, and I can certainly see needing another one of those in a year or two as well.

I need a second job.