I don't think so.  The imagery used was taken in 2009, and it would be expensive to get new imagery.

Also Hugh Johnston who created it has (I believe) been forced to give up scenery development due to other commitments.

Maybe one day, but it's the nature of scenery development that complex projects tend to represent 'points in time', as they were when they were originally commenced.

Each airport can be considered a 'snapshot' of how it was when the imagery was captured.  On that basis YSCB is complete.

In some cases additional newer elements have been incorporated (some of these in Canberra I believe)

The amount of work involved in revising an airport each time a runway is extended or a new terminal added is prohibitive, and as John has pointed out licensed imagery requires any of these revisions would most likely be new product purchases.

With so many airports in the world yet to be modelled, it is a question of where best to spend the time enhancing the FS world.

• Upvote 1

Each airport can be considered a 'snapshot' of how it was when the imagery was captured.  On that basis YSCB is complete.

The amount of work involved in revising an airport each time a runway is extended or a new terminal added is prohibitive, and as John has pointed out licensed imagery requires any of these revisions would most likely be new product purchases.

With so many airports in the world yet to be modelled, it is a question of where best to spend the time enhancing the FS world.

The same applies to all airports, ....  obviously.

• 5 weeks later...

...would most likely be new product purchases.

Why not? :)

But with zillions of airports to be made, only if a developer had lots of spare time in his hands... which I doubt, but...

I am lucky in that I have not seen the Aus airports in many years in RL, and most of them are "As I remember them". To be honest, for me I hope they stay that way..anyway it's a bit much to expect updates every time a building is removed or a new one built.. It's a sim after all. Teecee.

I am lucky in that I have not seen the Aus airports in many years in RL, and most of them are "As I remember them". To be honest, for me I hope they stay that way..anyway it's a bit much to expect updates every time a building is removed or a new one built.. It's a sim after all. Teecee.

With all due respect.

Just to clarify things.

Some airport devs like FS Dreamteam & Flightbeam for example revise their airports when major construction has been carried out on them in real life. The devs then either choose to update for free via SP, or charge a nominal fee for the update. YSCB snapshot was some years ago and it has been completed since. I would be wiling to pay the additional $$ for the completed YSCB.

I don't believe I'm requesting an update to a singular new building.......there is a collection of new buildings at YSCB now. I don't think that's asking "a bit much".

In addition to this, I believe YMML is shortly going to go into V3.......probably with a fee attached. I'll more than likely shell out for V3 provided the changes are what I deem to be "worth it".

• Upvote 1

I agree when YSCB was developed by ORBX the terminal is under construction, the construction site is in the scenery. Always willing to pay for an upgrade.

Sadly this Australian company doesn't seem to do much development of Australian scenery anymore.

But still would fly without ORBX :)

• Upvote 1

If you don't like YSCB in it's current state - deselect it and go back to the state it never was.

I would rather ORBX venture further than waste any more resources in an area they covered before the made over anywhere else in the world. When the rest of the world is finished and JV's grandchildren are running the company then my grandchildren can look forward to Badgery's Creek and the additional runway in Brisbane.

• Upvote 1

If it was as easy as sitting down at a computer and pulling a few files together to make the new terminal then it might be a candidate for consideration, but unfortunately it's not that easy.

The requirements would include at least the following:  New ground vertical imagery of a large slab of the airport. That costs. New photos of the entire terminal area. That's not easy and would cost and require someone with appropriate access to be given permission by the airport to get the images. A new set of parking spots, aerobridges, people flow, vehicle paths, night textures, lighting and who knows what else would have to be researched and programmed. I'm not a dev so I've probably missed half of the steps required before the initial beta is ready for testing.

Perhaps some day someone will look at it and go yeah, let's do it, but I don't think it'll be any time soon!

To back up John Dow's and Ian's posts, when each airport is developed, there are costs incurred for some of the items he described.  As the developer has moved on to RW endeavours (he now flies helicopters commercially for work).  The source imagery and files that make up a lot of the original ground textures and buildings are now lost, so the development would have to start anew if there were additions needed to be made to existing buildings etc.  Developers spend many hundreds of hours hand crafting the texture sheets that go into making every custom building that is modeled and those files are then compiled onto what you see in the sim of the 3D versions.  Those files are now in the wind. 

The other thing that has to be considered is income.  Both for Orbx and the developer.  The interest in an update would have to be substantial to make sense for both, and as passionate as you are XCLMT3 about having an update, there would likely not be a massive amount of global interest to a small domestic airport upgrade, hence it does not make sense from a business perspective to spend the development time to complete. As for the likes of Flightbeam and FS dreamteam, they may have that luxury, but as big as Orbx is, and with as many projects that are always in development it just likely wouldn't produce the sales necessary to be viable.  These are just my individual observations and not an official Orbx stance by any means, but just wanted to give you some added things to process the "why not" question.

Hi Ryan & John,

my response was more geared to teecee (hence the reply with text-post copy). There was a hint from teecee that I may have been expecting too much with the following statement: "anyway it's a bit much to expect updates every time a building is removed or a new one built".  I wanted to clarify this....as I was not requesting a modification to YSCB for the sake of a singular building. That's simply not the case. The airport has been transformed significantly.

I also simply wanted to clarify that some devs will update airports for a variety of reasons.

I appreciate the fact that ORBX-FTX has done so much for our country, as previously we aussie flightsimmers really didn't have any quality payware FSX scenery to look forward to at all.

PS: I fully understand & appreciate all the business feasibility issues (particularly monetary) that dictate ORBX-FTX directions/decisions.

Having said that, I will say that I'm curious over the decision to produce Norway first over Southern California? I predict sales of Norway will not touch either NCA and/or Southern California......not by a long shot. Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, But I stand by my statement..The only way these sort of changes could be maintained would be by doing a complete remake of every airport that has changes occurring and charging accordingly .. The choice of Canberra was a bit strange in my opinion,as indeed is the title of the original post (YSCB, Plans to complete it) when this airport and of course the city itself are among the most complete of the many jewels in the Orbx crown. Teecee.

I can fully understand XCLTM's question. Flying in to a perpetualy shown construction site is a bit odd indeed. I would not expect all the airports to get regular make-overs - but major alterations (like added or taken away runways) or complete new terminal buildings which completely change an airport should be considered. Flying in to Heathrow without Terminal 5 or Frankfurt without Terminal 2 would just not be right. Oh - and at Redding we got a terminal that is not even built yet ;)

Cheers

Mallard

• Upvote 1

I understand the augment of cost and time to update YSCB. Isn't the Canberra cityscape "more up to date" than the airport itself? I live near and work in Canberra so I guess I'm super keen to see it updated as the airport has changed a lot with the construction of the large terminal and new surrounding buildings. Maybe this is not the place to ask but I would be MORE than happy to take photos of the area (for free) if I had guidance as to what was required and access to the airport. I plan to start my PPL there early next year too!  ^-^  If any of the developers want to contact me, please do!

• Upvote 1

Hi Chris, Canberra (the airport and the cityscape) took a large stage of development. Yes, the cityscape is more upgraded, but it's obvious that some buildings changed in the meanwhile. It's very expensive for us to take care about all the changes are happening in the scenery area, at least for me 4 years developing it are enough, and you see, by the way i'm preparing a patch soon to fix some issues.

I don't believe that Hugh has the time now to make the changes you wish, but maybe i could be wrong :) 

• Upvote 1

Sorry, But I stand by my statement..The only way these sort of changes could be maintained would be by doing a complete remake of every airport that has changes occurring and charging accordingly .. The choice of Canberra was a bit strange in my opinion,as indeed is the title of the original post (YSCB, Plans to complete it) when this airport and of course the city itself are among the most complete of the many jewels in the Orbx crown. Teecee.

No problem at all Teecee. We good gents can agree to disagree and that's the beauty of good forums like this one, and of course an excellent indicator of a democracy that is truly alive & well !

You have a good one buddy.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

I can understand the desire to have an updated YSCB as I travel through Canberra on a regular basis and the Orbx depiction of the terminal building has no resemblance whatsoever to the way it appears today.  I note that some are happy with historical depictions of airports but I guess I am not one of them.

Bruceb

Desire and fulfilment are often two distinct and contrary aspirations.  We would all love to have an updated YSCB, but logistics are against us as has been explained clearly in the above posts.

• Upvote 1