G'day guys..

I think I am starting to get addicted to this hobby, buying planes and airports!!

and now weather, got Rex essentials plus over drive,

and I am also hearing good things about Acitive sky next for fsx

i did try to download the trial of this from their site but for some reason I had trouble with the key thing,for the demo ,  any way is it worth getting? do use the combination of rex and active or use them seperatly ie one or the other ..

thanks

milo

"i did try to download the trial of this from their site but for some reason I had trouble with the key thing"

Same here, but I decided if they could not get that right I was not giving them my money as the program might have problems too. Teecee

OPUS  all the way for me ,  not only are Stephen and Cheryl constantly working to Better an already 

Excellent Program  there Customer Service is top notch.  Buy  it for the Weather  and  they will throw 

in  Better Cameras and Much Better DHM/ Turbulence Bump than  EZDOK.  By Far one of the BEST

Additions to my Sim.  

Milo another option is FS Global Real WX by Pilots . Here is a review : http://mutleyshangar.com/reviews/np/fsgrw/fsgrw.htm

Brad

Another vote for FSGRW...it has no cloud popping (had lots of issues with Opus), no wind shifts, and it has localised weather support (try flying in Gibraltar or Madeira or Innsbruck and see what happens)...really simple little engine, injects weather without problem, and it has top notch support as well.

• Upvote 1

I have both OPusFSX and ASNXT...both phenomenal in their own respects..but I use ASNXT primarily as the wake Turbulence, cloud smoothing and general turbulence are outstanding and at the moment surpasses OPusFSX...    

I am probably the only one that would say try them all, get them all :lol:(if you can afford) . I think each has their different pro's and cons and you don't really know what you like before you have tested each one of them. My favorite so far has been FSGRW because of the localized weather effects(at a handfull of airports), but I haven't tried the new ASNext and all the new features sounds intresting. Also there nothing that keeps one from having all of them installed and use the one that fits best for the particular flight that day.  8)

REX can be good to have anyway for it's cloud textures that will be used by the other weather programs. And all of the devs keeps inventing new stuff, so one day you may like that, and the other day someone else is inventing new exiting things that you might want to try.

thanks guys, do you keep them all (weather programs) running while fsx is going or do 

they all sit in the background some how...?

milo

You probably misunderstood me when I said buy them all/try them all :P . What I mean is you can have them all installed, but you can only run one at a time when flying, you can't have them all running at once while FSX is going 8) . One advantage with having them all I think is, lets say today I want to do some challenging flying to e.g Madeira, then I would start up FSGRW to get the cool localized effects. Another day I might want to expirience wake turbulence, thunderstorms etc, that day ASNext would suit me better, etc etc. Opus for example has it own thing with the camera feature that some people like, and other may not like.

I had Opus before I switched to using FSGRW, and used Opus very rarely after that, but now my Opus purchase have started paying off again because so far it's the only weather engine that works in P3Dv2 which is now the only SIM I use:). The other are soon coming to P3Dv2, but one day Opus might invent something cool that makes me want too use it more, and vice versa

There are probably many different scenarios and each weather engine has things they do better than others, having them all/trying them all you will get far more weather options and you will also find out wich you prefer the most, because people always have different opinions on what the "best" weather engine is and it may not be what suits you the best. And the different weather engines keeps evolving all the time so locking oneself to 1 forever you can miss out on cool new features each of them bring to the table.

And welcome to the addiction :D(think I need to go to flightsim rehab soon :lol: )

The ASN and OPUS weather engines offer free trials. I decided to go with ASN + REX4 textures. Beautiful stuff.

Basically, once you have ASN tweaked to your liking, you just launch ASN, then launch FSX. No need to choose weather settings in FSX. I'm not sure if OPUS works in a similar fashion.

I've only ever used Active Sky products, so can't really comment on the others. I believe Active Sky Next is a great product. Much quicker at updating the weather than the others I've tried. Although I was a little disappointed yesterday when it didn't seem to portray the winds that were occurring off the coast of North East Queensland.

Given I am running P3Dv2 only, I went with Opus (just recently). I'm still working out the camera stuff, but the weather injection seems fine. They do seem to update it pretty much all the time and their website indicates new features being worked on.

Cheers