I've read in several places where all add-on airports should be placed above FTX regions. Is this true? Because I only stumbled across this recently. I've been flying with addon airports below FTX regions and haven't experienced any problems. So, is this necessary? I ask because, after reading about addon placement, I decided to move my airport addons above the FTX regions as suggested. The problem is any time I change settings in FTX Central, all FTX regions get moved back to the top of the Scenery Library. So, if I have to move airports back to the top, we're talking a good 20 airports that have to be reshuffled to the top any time a change is made in FTX Central. Any way to avoid having to do this?

Todd

Use the FTX Central "FTX scenery library insertion points" function, that will solve the "moving" problem.

I have had some problems with 3:rd party add-ons BOTH above and below ORBX sceneries.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Other addon airports placement normally depend on various factors.  FTX scenery does include things like flattens and excludes that "could" effect an addon airport if it is located 'under' the FTX files and that would make it important that the add on airport be 'above' the FTX entries.  There are exceptions to this, for instance Tongass X scenery should be located below the FTX entries per the instruction with that software.

The good thing about the FSX Library is that if your addon airport seems to have problems that might be caused by its order in the library you can always move it.

As JJ says use the 'Insertion Point' utility in FTX Central Tools section.

I have all my non-FTX installed on top of the Orbx scenery except for Tongas Fjords which needs to be below the Orbx scenery if you have SAK installed.  My insertion point is Tongass Fjords. 

I also have my FSGenesis Mesh and Ultmate Terrain installation under Tongass Fjords.

So far no problems at all.  Hope it doesn't change.

Isn't the insertion point for newly installed FTX sceneries only? And will it work retroactively on sceneries already installed? How will adding an insertion point change my current library order?

Todd

Todd,

no the insertion point utility allows you to pick exactly where you want the entire FTX set of files placed after switching from default, (now Global) or another FTX region.  This normally cause FTX files to be moved back to the top of the Scenery Library.  By making an insertion point the FTX files will always be placed at that point after making a switch and not move back to the top of the Library.

When you install new FTX scenery (airports, regions etc.) the installer always places the new files withing the FTX folder of the scenery library.  The user should not attempt to locate the files on his own.

OK, this does not solve my issue. I set my insertion point and every time I switch from Global to North America or visa versa all FTX entries move to the top.

Todd

I think the most confusing part is step 3 in the link provided by Holger, "select an insertion point where you want to insert FTX.."  I think most people need assistance in where this point is?

With so much non-FTX/Orbx product on my system, I don't know where this "magical" point is?

I think the most confusing part is step 3 in the link provided by Holger, "select an insertion point where you want to insert FTX.."  I think most people need assistance in where this point is?

With so much non-FTX/Orbx product on my system, I don't know where this "magical" point is?

This might help you out: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/64222-orbxopenlc-xxx-correct-locations/?p=652294