looks like I need a better cpu cooler next week my new i7 4770 under core temp maxs the 4 cores between 72 and 73 C under full load. I'm guessing this is too hot and sometimes my system locks up.

since it is only a new system it runs mostly well and I'm getting 4290 on the 3dMArk score but just concerned about the temps.

Another thing is I thought the CPU had at least 8 cores yet only 4 cores show in core temp but 8 threads? What is all this?

and what should I do to my FSX config file? should I alter it and if so what should I do to get the best out of it?

Low 40's idle

72-73 is fine under full load (mine is O/C & water cooled and still blows past 75+)

80+ is when to worry about the cooler.. the CPU can handle 80-90 just fine.

100+ is worry time but it will shut itself down to avoid damage. (105C is max according to intel)

Hyper-threading shows 8 cores.. 4 Physical / 4 Virtual ... FSX will only use the Physical.

Only things to add to CFG to start is:

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096

(i double line Texture max load so FSX does not change the value every time i change settings)

Skip the other tweaks if all is running well..

Someone else will have to chime in on the Affinity Mask... I don't have Hyper-threading on my i5.

Also use Nvidia Inspector (if not already) to force AA/AF .. world of difference - I run at 32xs AA 16x AF  1/2 refresh rate.. and it runs smoother than 8x 8x.

Also i do not run the latest Nvidia drivers... they cause all sorts of problems..

Rolled mine back to 304.42 (partly because the Majestic Q400 & TrackIR perform poorly above that version on my sys)

-------------------------------------------------------

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096

Sorry little bit off topic... but adding both lines, which will FSX use? That's the first time I have seen that suggestion. Thanks

Sorry little bit off topic... but adding both lines, which will FSX use? That's the first time I have seen that suggestion. Thanks

Haven't really tested it until now... that is how "Flightbeam KPHX" sets it and I always assumed it worked.

After double lining other values to test however, it appears that FSX uses the first value only. 

I tried this:

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30

Frames stayed set to unlimited..... hmmm

It's no good after-all...

This means my TML & LOD have been low settings for quite a long time.... never even noticed, looked like HD texture to me .......

I would EDIT that as incorrect... but it looks like the Edit function is time limited .

I have had a problem with i7 running hot while in FSX, getting to 100C often. I finally resorted to buying a stationary small room fan. I now keep the case open and run the external fan into it when in FSX. Now CPU temp goes between 45 at idle to 75 max. Mostly stays in the 60s. Not bad and a cheap solution for me.

• Upvote 1

I have had a problem with i7 running hot while in FSX, getting to 100C often. I finally resorted to buying a stationary small room fan. I now keep the case open and run the external fan into it when in FSX. Now CPU temp goes between 45 at idle to 75 max. Mostly stays in the 60s. Not bad and a cheap solution for me.

Very nice idea alexf as I have done the same on my old setup with Intel 6 core 12 threaded monster ,I recently switched it out for a much cheaper 3770 and the difference was small but notable .

the plus is I don't overclock as high 4.0 and returns to stock once the load is gone off the processor .

A clean case and high airflow fans always a must . Haswell I read should run cooler ? 

With i73770K overclocked at 4.5ghz, I occasionaly see 70C when flying with P3D. My fan is Zalman CNPS 9900 DF and it's barely fitting in case. I also considered keeping case open but it creates another problem; Too much house dust on motherboard and GPU.

Temperature up to +80 C is ok and no need to worry about.

Writing the same parameter twice but with different values in the fsx.cfg file is weird and makes no sense. Use the one you want to have and set the other one at least as comment.

Spirit

Temperature up to +80 C is ok and no need to worry about.

Writing the same parameter twice but with different values in the fsx.cfg file is weird and makes no sense. Use the one you want to have and set the other one at least as comment.

Spirit

The idea was to eliminate FSX changing the value back to default every time an adjustment is made inside FSX.

For instance if you set the value to =4096 , and then adjust sliders in FSX.. the value will be changed back to =1024 by default..  (Same with LOD radius)

Mute point anyways.. it doesn't work at all. as already explained in post #4... ^-^

With i73770K overclocked at 4.5ghz, I occasionaly see 70C when flying with P3D. My fan is Zalman CNPS 9900 DF and it's barely fitting in case. I also considered keeping case open but it creates another problem; Too much house dust on motherboard and GPU.

That's a nice cooler.. looks like a "noctua" which are said to be the best.. I may look into replacing my Water Cooler with one like that. 

The idea was to eliminate FSX changing the value back to default every time an adjustment is made inside FSX.

For instance if you set the value to =4096 , and then adjust sliders in FSX.. the value will be changed back to =1024 by default..  (Same with LOD radius)

This odd FSX behavior is well known (P3D is better here). Just avoid to work with the sliders and make changes directly in the fsx.cfg.

Spirit

Hi

I have an I7 - 950 OC at 4.3 on air cooled and idle it runs at 35-40 on full pelt it gets to 65 , but I have 5 case fans sucking the heat out, have you tried  cleaning the heat sink fans, my temops started rising and I got a can of spray air with the long plastic straw on it and celaned between the fans, this worked wonders and dropped the temps by 10 degrees

worth a try

Hyperthreading is what is making your logical core different to your physical cores. Google it for info

CMOS devices in the ranges around 22nm wont cook until over 100C but the life of the part is better at lower temps. Better cooling is always recomended. Intels chips will auto downclock themselves if it gets too high.

all good points. I have purchased 5 atx case's that are rack mountable and an old 19 inch rack to put them in. I will then pull all computers out and put in these rack mountable cases. I will install high powered fans and better cpu coolers on the main systems.

rack mounting is a better way for a flight sim I think and I can make it all look neat and nice. I'll post pics when done

For an easy to install water cooled CPU cooler system try the Corsair H80 or H100 systems. They are closed systems ready to install. Mine was a snap to setup.

I have a 2600k o'clocked to 4.6 running around 65 to 73c, on a corsair h100, I was running 75c to  85c until I lowered my vcore to 1.20 from 1.30. Runs really smooth now no temps over 72 flying with the Flight 1 Mustang everywhere in Ftx global hybrid.

Ron

What do you consider "full load"? There are many stress test applications out there and each produces different temps.

73C in itself is not a problem, but if you get that with a relatively "light" stress test, chances are you get 90C in more demanding ones such as Aida64 FPU or LinPack 11 with AVX2. Its probably not the reason for your lock-ups however.

Hello,

the other day i checked my cpu temps while FSXing and found out it was in the high 40°C. It is cooled by an H80 watercooler. So im wondering is the cooler combined with the case that cool or is the temprature sensor in the wrong place??? My GTX660ti goes all the way up to 54°C when the fan kicks in with 85% RPM then it goes down to 40°C while running FSX/P3D.

What you guys think? 

Your CPU is watercooled, your GPU is air cooled. if you did a great job applying that H80 to your CPU, I expect it to run cooler than the GPU under a full load. Before Haswell came out, the CPU was almost always cooler than the GPU, but thats not the case with Haswell now.

After reading this thread I took a look at my CPU core temperature using the Intel Extreme Tuning utility. My i7 950 @ 3.07 is constantly at 100 degrees Celsius. It gets to 100 degrees a couple of minutes after I turn on the computer but stays exactly at 100 degrees as the CPU throttling kicks in and maintains 100 degrees. Needless to say we have a problem so I just bought a better CPU cooler. Its likely that it has been running at 100 degrees since I built the computer in December of 2010. Glad I looked into this and read this thread. The more you know.... 

Wait. If my processor is running at 100 degrees shouldnt it be very hot around the processor? I touched the area on the other side of the motherboard where the processor sits but it was only mildly warm. This leads me to think it is a faulty sensor..

Forget about what you hear and see, but go to Intel's web site and enter the details of your CPU , There will be a Tmax and TOp temp listed  aim for AT LEAST 20 deg below that as a safe working load temp.  IMHO the cooler the better, Temp is not only related to Load but also the Voltage and therefore the current required, and THAT my friends is an issue with many chips.  With overclocking the Voltage as a general rule needs to go down and as a result the current needed goes up and that is part of the reason that the CPU temps rise, esspecially with dynamic over clocking ( Laod increases and the Clock freq increases as well) This can in some cases cause OOM's (during the CPU cycle switch) and why I do not used nor subscribe to the use of DHC Dynamic Hardware Control. 

Buy and use the Highest efficiency cooler you can either afford or fit in the case, remember this is not always the biggest either, I have a H100 and to be honest for my system it was the best choice because the case was designed for it but also the cooling efficiency. i5 3570 running at 4.2 Ghz and full load hits 55 or there abouts according to the MoBo sensors. admittedly I can channel cold outside air through the radiator and am contemplating actually remote mounting the Radiator out side :)

Another reason for a good cooler is thermal expansion. Intel has apparently down a very good job with composition of the material in their chips to keep the internals mechanically stable. However, due to room temperature in winter versus summer, and a small cooler, the CPU is forced through a wide temperature range. For those few cases the CPU life may be lessened by the tiny expansion and contraction of the strata and the deposited elements of the chip. So, the range of temperatures MAY shorten the life of a CPU.

Thanks both of you with that information. I learned a lot. - I live in San Francisco so the Summer and Winter temperature difference is very minor.

I'm running an i7 4770k @ 4.3ghz using an NZXT havik 140 air cooler.  Idle temps are 28-30c and max load under Prime95 in place large FFTs is around 73c.  FSX can't push it nearly that hot, Prime95 is a pretty good worst case test.

HT is enabled so 4 physical / 8 virtual cores running.  I'm sure it can run faster without.

Prime95 is a decent stress test however you need to be running Small FFT's to really stress the CPU, otherwise you're mostly stressing the RAM and cache. Also you absolutely must make sure it's the latest version that supports AVX (it will say something about AVX in the status window).

As a reference, at stock speeds with the stock cooler, the 4770K will hit about 86C in AVX-based stress tests. The CPU does run hot, much hotter than previous Intel CPUs. However it's designed for it so it's not a real problem unless it gets so hot that it throttles.

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096

(i double line Texture max load so FSX does not change the value every time i change settings)

There is a little Tool that helps you in other way ;)

Look here

I use this and no more worry about this setting 8)