Hello all,

John Ross has just returned from his trip to Coffs and Port Macquarie and has taken in excess of 4GB of photos :)

We'll be releasing an SP1 of Coffs when we get a chance, and JR will also update Port Mac based on his photos.

Plans for Coffs SP1:

- Correctly modeled and textured TAFE college on the hill

- Correctly modeled buildings and textures around the marina area

- New industrial area buildings based on photos

- Updates to all airport buildings where we have new photos

- Tweaking of the creek water masks to make them more accurate

- Fixing of any reported bugs

- Adding in more photoreal areas with shopping centres and other POI's

John and I are immensely proud of what we achieved with Coffs, but the Orbx philosphy is that we never just take your money and run - all our products will be continually upgraded and refined, so Coffs SP1 will be even nicer than the current version.

Right now, JR and I are also working on Avalon Airport, which will probably now slip into January, since the buggers have done all sorts of terminal works which need further modeling.

Also expect an update to Port Mac in the new year as well.

Yours in updates :)

You should be very proud of what you have achieved so far guys its just fantastic, Very good piece of scenery indeed in fact one of the best so far you just keep getting better as time goes by, I look forward to the updates SP1 and keep up the great work, Abench mark for others to follow i think.

cheers

Iain.

People might Shoot me, but I think you should charge a nominal amount for the service pack considering the work that goes in to it. Maybe $9.95 ?? .. I know I would be happy to pay it, to keep you guys turning out great airports.

Else I will just pop it in your donation box ;D

People might Shoot me, but I think you should charge a nominal amount for the service pack considering the work that goes in to it. Maybe $9.95 ?? .. I know I would be happy to pay it, to keep you guys turning out great airports.

If you guys want to pay for SP's then I am happy to accomodate :)

Yeah The Big Banana will be modeled ad well... :o

The Big Banana is modelled already in Coffs Harbour (can be hard to find if you don't know where it is as Big things aren't so big at 1000' :) ). There are a few other landmarks missing though so maybe they will be in SP1.

If you guys want to pay for SP's then I am happy to accomodate :)

Whoa John....what 'guys'? LOL

I don't think paying for an updated is a good idea. People have bought the product why should they pay more for it if there is an update for it. If people want to support ORBX which I am completely for and do then I think a donation should be made.

Just my opinion  :D

Cheers

Hugh

I don't think paying for an updated is a good idea. People have bought the product why should they pay more for it if there is an update for it. If people want to support ORBX which I am completely for and do then I think a donation should be made.

Well said.

Cheers

Hugh

Well I will donate then. And I encourage others too as well... as the freeware airports we get are worth 2 x the $9.95 I was suggesting. I am more than happy to assist in covering the costs of these airports....

Cheers

Hugh

I agree. But then I also don't think a company should be obligated to provide a service pack other than to fix glaring bugs. As far as I know Coff's is a fantastic product as it stands and everybody is happy with it. Really the service pack is just more of the great service Orbx provide, not to fix major errors. Personally, given how much service they provide, I would gladly pay a subscription fee for what they do. Something along the lines of a subscription that expries at a particular date and gives me access to all updates (feature updates, not bug fixes) until that date. If I want further updates I re-subscribe. I use many software products that run under exactly this kind of yearly maintenance scheme. In fact, most of those require the subscription be there for bug fixes too!

Yeah The Big Banana will be modeled ad well... :o

The Big Banana is modelled already in Coffs Harbour (can be hard to find if you don't know where it is as Big things aren't so big at 1000' :) ). There are a few other landmarks missing though so maybe they will be in SP1.

Are you kidding ...for the world I can't find it....I think I may need glasses but can you give me a clue (screenshot) as where to find it at Coffs?

Rob

A screenshot would be cheating - try flying north along the beach until you reach the high rise block. Head due west until you hit the main road out of town and it is on the western side of the road about 1k out of town. Now try and find the windmill - hint it is west of R10 on the highway.

John Ross

As well as below there will be the new Coffs Harbour base hospital complete with heli pad for you know who (that's you Aussiecop :))

John Ross

Bless you my friend! you are all that is man! lol WOO HOO!  ;) ;) ;)

John

Can I ask the team to include the new Royal Volunteer Coastal Patrol building on Beacon Lookout at the top of Victoria Street, and while they are at it if they could include my appartment block just across the road that would be truly wonderful.  I couldn't see both in the new scenery. Seriously, Beacon Hill needs to be accurate as it is the landmark that all the planes landing from the north use to line up on Coffs Hbr airport.

Thanks

PeterH

Cheers

Hugh

I agree. But then I also don't think a company should be obligated to provide a service pack other than to fix glaring bugs. As far as I know Coff's is a fantastic product as it stands and everybody is happy with it. Really the service pack is just more of the great service Orbx provide, not to fix major errors. Personally, given how much service they provide, I would gladly pay a subscription fee for what they do. Something along the lines of a subscription that expries at a particular date and gives me access to all updates (feature updates, not bug fixes) until that date. If I want further updates I re-subscribe. I use many software products that run under exactly this kind of yearly maintenance scheme. In fact, most of those require the subscription be there for bug fixes too!

I agree with this. And you have put into words what I was thinking mate. Yes there are no issues with Coffs, and I see what John and the lads are doing as more like feature enhancements than bug fixes, show it should be more like a YSCH v2.00 than a service pack and an update that is well worth paying for. If you dont want additional scenery and are happy with the currently already majestic scenery of Coffs Harbour then stick with v1.00 or you can buy the updated v2.00 as a new purchase, or if you already own v1.00 then get the upgrade fir $9.95. Anyway if John wants to provide this for free, then all good... ;D

I also think you should look at a subscription for feature enhancements John,  it is a good idea...of course, bug fixes are different, and should be part of the service. Your call in the end :)

I should stress ... where I said "feature updates, not bug fixes". I meant that bug fixes should be free. Only feature updates should require the subscription!

Hello PeterH

Is that the building at the south of the car park on top of the hill? I did take some photographs up there but mainly to check that the airport looked ok in the sim at night compared to the real thing. If it is where I think it is there is no way I could see to get any photographs to put it into the sim. As luck would have it I will be down that way again from Dec 8 for a few days so I will have another look. What number is your appartment block - you just might get to be in the scenery - no promises!

John Ross

Guest javo

Cheers

Hugh

I agree with this. And you have put into words what I was thinking mate. Yes there are no issues with Coffs, and I see what John and the lads are doing as more like feature enhancements than bug fixes, show it should be more like a YSCH v2.00 than a service pack and an update that is well worth paying for. If you dont want additional scenery and are happy with the currently already majestic scenery of Coffs Harbour then stick with v1.00 or you can buy the updated v2.00 as a new purchase, or if you already own v1.00 then get the upgrade fir $9.95. Anyway if John wants to provide this for free, then all good... ;D

I also think you should look at a subscription for feature enhancements John,  it is a good idea...of course, bug fixes are different, and should be part of the service. Your call in the end :)

Craig, you could pay for all of us, it appears that money is no problem for you whereas for a some of us it is something we don't have a lot of, if any spare at all.

All too often, where a party suggests a price increase,  suggests additional costs etc, it is that party that can readily afford such and it is that party that assumes everyone else is in the same financial boat as him/her self.  If you want to contribute to the costs (real or not) of producing updates/fixes etc, then by all means donate what you think that service is worth.

Spare a thought for the pensioners, those who still go to school and don't have a job and for those without an adequate income source. 

Craig, you could pay for all of us, it appears that money is no problem for you whereas for a some of us it is something we don't have a lot of, if any spare at all.

All too often, where a party suggests a price increase,  suggests additional costs etc, it is that party that can readily afford such and it is that party that assumes everyone else is in the same financial boat as him/her self.  If you want to contribute to the costs (real or not) of producing updates/fixes etc, then by all means donate what you think that service is worth.

Spare a thought for the pensioners, those who still go to school and don't have a job and for those without an adequate income source. 

I don't like to be antagonistic (I just spent 3 days on a team lead touchy-feely course  ::)) and I have great appreciation for the plight of the pensioner, the unemployed and students. However, as a software engineer I have to ask if you ask the same of every other industry? When Toyota releases a newer, safer Camry do you ask for a free upgrade? Do you ask Breville for their new-and-improved toaster? Why is it that the world seems to think that software upgrades should be free when they aren't in any other industry! Note I say upgrades, not bug fixes. I specifically said they should be free.

If Orbx want to provide upgrades as well as patches for free then I aplaude them on their generosity. But it should not be an expected given.

Good Grief! Are you going to belly up and drink the kool-aid too? 

FTX is a super product, the best in the world of FSX of which I am an enthusiastic supporter and promoter, but these nauseous waves of devotion and pledges of allegiance to a sub-version of a video game sound a lot like the hysterical chant of a religious cult. Why not take some of that exuberance and zest to make the real world a better place for those that really love you. ORBX has earned its place, but not a single computer program deserves any place in any ones heart, notwithstanding those that seem deluded to the contrary.

If some want to throw presents at the object of their devotion, then they can kneel in front of the donation button to their heart’s content and the size of their bank account. But for those who place a higher value on both their time and money (or wish they did), finding a balance in the algorithm of needs and wants is a whole lot more rewarding and lasts a lot longer.  Commonsense version 1.0 still works well, whether it is played or not. Why not install it and give it a try?

Spirit Flyer

When are you guys going to let this "pay for service pack" thing go? John is not buying into this, and he is the one who determines the pricing and marketing.. and whether or not you think it.. other developers DO put out free updates.. I love this hobby, and spend an inordinate amount of time on it, and, being a pensioner.. more money than I should, so for God's sake leave it alone.. if more money is needed by Orbx, John will let us know. How about we just let Orbx keep doing their magic, and pay the rates asked for the work? Teecee.

I really hope Orbx won't charge us for service packs and hotfixes. I already believe that increasing prices for their products is very risky as they might loose potential clients maybe existing ones. I understand Orbx are in financial problems but, really, aren't we all? I believe that Orbx have gained their faithful customers by giving good support, free software (take YMLT for example) and free hotfixes and service packs. Keep it that way.

When are you guys going to let this "pay for service pack" thing go? John is not buying into this, and he is the one who determines the pricing and marketing.. and whether or not you think it.. other developers DO put out free updates.. I love this hobby, and spend an inordinate amount of time on it, and, being a pensioner.. more money than I should, so for God's sake leave it alone.. if more money is needed by Orbx, John will let us know. How about we just let Orbx keep doing their magic, and pay the rates asked for the work? Teecee.

Hey, I'm more than happy for Orbx to continue to provide free service packs. If they can continue to do so then good on them. I haven't bought Coffs or YMML because they don't fit into what I wish to spend money on. I won't be buying them just to support them either and I'll happily keep taking everything free they offer. All I am saying is don't get caught in the trap of expecting free new content (I keep seperating that from service packs which fix bugs but people keep mashing them back together again) because it does take time and money to produce.

Settle down folks. We don't/won't charge for SP's and if you feel inclined to show your appreciation then there is the donate button, or you can buy another copy for a friend. My comment earlier was tongue in cheek, hehe! Or do you take me far too seriously?

John everything you say is treated as gospel and written in tablets of stone ;D Take two daily with a glass or two of your favourite poison ;)

Alex

John Ross

Thanks for the reply - Yes that is RVCP the building - it is set in the hill.  My apartment building is #135 it used to called TradeWinds it is directly opposite the lookout and is painted yellow - they are building a huge new home next to it, (going down the hill).  I'll be in Coffs on the 19th - are there any photos you want me to take?  If you stand on the lookout you get a fantastic view of the runway, and when I lived there I used to watch the Friendships and the occasional 737 land - it was just awesome.  I see you have even got the secure parking building at the airport - wow!  Thanks again for this great scenery.

Yours in simming

PeterH

G'day, thought I might as well ask is there any way we can get a switcher to thin out some of the surrounding Autogen buildings and vehicles to regain some performance for those of us with average systems?

Thanks for reading

G'day, thought I might as well ask is there any way we can get a switcher to thin out some of the surrounding Autogen buildings and vehicles to regain some performance for those of us with average systems?

Thanks for reading

Just manually remove the files in the FTXAA_YSCH\Scenery folder with '_PLC.bgl' names to remove those placement files.