FTX Global - 60 sec video - Vanilla FSX Default vs FTX Global

UPDATE: Now uploaded 1080p version

Hello all,

In response to many questions about the FPS impact of using FTX Global textures versus default and also wanting to see a video without any addons, here's a quick 480p grab from my laptop using my iPhone5.

No ENBSeries, no mesh, no landclass, no REX, no other addons. Pure vanilla FSX first, then FTX Global installed. Using my baseline trike aircraft with FPS limited to 30FPS using the nVidia Inpector external limiter. I chose two really dense urban areas in the USA; New York and Houston. The FRAPS counter is running purely so you can see the FPS.

Result? Basically no FPS impact at all.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49VyCVnCyzs

For those who cast doubts on using the trike, use this rule of thumb:

Trike or light aircraft with steam gauges - set external limiter to 30FPS, autogen to Extremely Dense

Turbo or Twin with glass panels - set external limiter to 40FPS, autogen to Very Dense

NGX or A3X with full MFD etc - set external limiter to 50-60FPS, autogen to Dense

My point is that you would apply the same tuning of the sim with FTX Global as you would with FSX Default.

The advantages?

- Much denser, tighter and more accurate autogen annotation without popping and no FPS penalty

- Better contrasted textures

- 3D lighting system with virtually no FPS loss

- Replacement trees and autogen building textures

- And of course, the whole world feels like FTX! :)

• Upvote 2

I have reserved my opinion of Global up to now (too many times have I expected a lot more than I actually got in the end), however, it is really very difficult not to get excited about it - It's looking really fab.

The Areas JV choose to demonstrate are clearly improved by Global BUT... I think there are a lot of other areas in FSX where the improvement is going to be even better between Global and Default

Really looking forward to this

For those who cast doubts on using the trike, use this rule of thumb:

Trike or light aircraft with steam gauges - set external limiter to 30FPS, autogen to Extremely Dense

Turbo or Twin with glass panels - set external limiter to 40FPS, autogen to Very Dense

NGX or A3X with full MFD etc - set external limiter to 50-60FPS, autogen to Dense

My point is that you would apply the same tuning of the sim with FTX Global as you would with FSX Default.

The advantages?

- Much denser, tighter and more accurate autogen annotation without popping and no FPS penalty

- Better contrasted textures

- 3D lighting system with virtually no FPS loss

- Replacement trees and autogen building textures

- And of course, the whole world feels like FTX! :)

I assume those FPS figures are for non-OrbX regions?  I don't see any way you could get 50-60fps with the NGX in the PNW region for instance.  I know this is a post about FTX Global but I wasn't sure if you were suggesting using those AG/FPS setting in general all the time or just over non-OrbX regions.  Hmmm that has me thinking, I tuned my system for minimum acceptable fps in PNW.  I already have two cfg files now though because I dropped LOD from 6.5 to 4.5 and dropped scenery density one notch (basically got rid of cargo cranes around Seattle and a few jetways at KPDX) for PNW but run scenery density at max  and LOD 6.5 for the rest of the world.  I have AG set to Dense in both.  I never thought about bumping up AG for the rest of the world though and maybe I should try it.  I'll probably still have to watch my AA settings and stuff in big city areas.

Any chance of a comparison of Huntsville, AL  :)  That would make a great area to model BTW...  I's a "smallish" city of 150k but we have an "International airport" where cargo 747s fly in/out each night.  The Redstone Aresenal is here in "Rocket City" too so lots of unique rocket type scenery around the city.  Also "Moontown airport" grass field about 15 miles out...   Area is central to Memphis, Nashville, Birmingham, and Atlanta.  All set in the final foothills of the Appalachean Chain...

• Upvote 1

I assume those FPS figures are for non-OrbX regions?  I don't see any way you could get 50-60fps with the NGX in the PNW region for instance.  I know this is a post about FTX Global but I wasn't sure if you were suggesting using those AG/FPS setting in general all the time or just over non-OrbX regions.  Hmmm that has me thinking, I tuned my system for minimum acceptable fps in PNW.  I already have two cfg files now though because I dropped LOD from 6.5 to 4.5 and dropped scenery density one notch (basically got rid of cargo cranes around Seattle and a few jetways at KPDX) for PNW but run scenery density at max  and LOD 6.5 for the rest of the world.  I have AG set to Dense in both.  I never thought about bumping up AG for the rest of the world though and maybe I should try it.  I'll probably still have to watch my AA settings and stuff in big city areas.

Yes, John is of course talking about FTX Global not about FTX Regions.

Cheers, wolfgang

Indeed I am talking about FTX Global with regard to the NGX. Global uses a different lighting system and calls default landclass (for now) and has much less default vector data so naturally it will perform very well.

Yes, John is of course talking about FTX Global not about FTX Regions.

Cheers, wolfgang

Indeed I am talking about FTX Global with regard to the NGX. Global uses a different lighting system and calls default landclass (for now) and has much less default vector data so naturally it will perform very well.

Thanks guys, I figured that John was referring to using those settings only for Global but I wanted to be sure.  Just as an experiment I tried bumping up my AG settings last night and was surprised.  In non large city areas like Sacramento, CA I can run extremely dense no problem even in nasty weather.  KSFO I could get away with it until the weather and very dense worked ok there.  KJFK west to over the city was a bit rougher though.  Back to dense with weather and maybe very dense otherwise.  That was all testing with the default B58 at about 1500-2000 feet AGL to make sure AG was in full "full bloom" and not reduced detail by being too high up.  I was going for 30fps or higher though not 50-60 since I typically externally lock at 30 with vsync.  

I tried PNW just for kicks and while it looked good, and was actually flyable in the A320 outside the Seattle area, over the city it was bad lol.  I hit about 15fps or less around KSEA and that was without weather.  It was a fun experiment though.  I guess I'm stuck on the days (maybe from FS2004) when the AG slider was "bad" and "you should leave it turned down for better fps" and I've just been afraid of it.

Anyway, point is I'm even more stoked for Global now that I know I can run with higher AG and get the same kinds of views as you guys are previewing!!! Whoohooo where do I insert my CC  :D