Will I be able to use FSCloud9 Xcity Rome over FTXG?

Sorry mate I cant answer that one, but im sure one of the Devs will know the answer to this and chime in for you.

cheers

Iain

Iain, sure do appreciate seeing these previews you are posting. As one fellow says, you are probably inundated with requests, so I feel a tad guilty asking for one, but around Kodiak, Alaska, the default textures are particularly bad (they resemble the Sahara more than Alaska :)). If you get the chance, could you post a couple of shots of the surrounding terrain as seen from the airport looking west & southwest? That would be really fantastic. If you don't have the time, I completely understand, but appreciate anything you can do.

Many thanks again for these Iain. Much appreciated.

Glenn

Yes, Iain is probably overwhelmed with requests -- I am still waiting for him to post some shots up of Malaysia and China :)

Malaysia previews coming in the next hour or so.

cheers

Iain

Malaysia previews coming in the next hour or so.

cheers

Iain

Fantastic! Thank you so much Iain! I'd really love to see more South-East Asia tropical textures/autogen and these rice paddy regions too. Great shots so far by the way and really appreciate the fact that you are showcasing globally in the true spirit of FTX Global itself. That's really nice indeed, to be able to discover what potential this potentially game-changing add-on will be able to add to our globe. If you do have enough fuel in the bird, would be really great if you could fly to the southern border to give us a sneak peak at how the great city/state of Singapore looks in FTX Global and Thailand (perhaps Phuket) to the north? Whenever and if you have time only and do keep them global of course, that's perfect. Personally wouldn't mind seeing more of India and China and African regions (? Masai mara national park region/ sahara/subsahara, anything more really). What's nice about this product is its philosophical difference from the amazing regional products in its potential ability to start the process of showcasing the true diversity of natural landscapes and man-made architecture/infrastructure on our planet and make the sim experience so much bigger and FINALLY fully open for more varied FLIGHTS for everyone anywhere. I'm sure everyone has their own favourite regions on our globe they'd like to sim-visit and explore. I'm even more excited that the Global base pack is just the start of this process and hopefully the FTX Global extra add-ons will be truly diverse and interesting and literally eventually let us see anywhere fairly true to life. The best of luck and success to JV and the whole talented team at Orbx, sincerely, on starting and building on this endeavour. It has plenty of scope to bring you business and enjoyment for years to come and bring us the GLOBE and its enjoyment. Cheers. Really am sorry for the lengthy post but I'm only just learning how to use forums and this is my first ever post on the ORBX forum (second ever-sure I'm making a big mess of it) so a big hi to everyone here. Feel like I've been getting to know quite a few of you well anyway as have been following the forums ever since I returned to FSX about 6 months ago (career reasons for pretty long absence) and discovering ORBX's existence. What a great feeling and surprise that was! Already have all the regions, only SAK left to go to be up-to-date. and already started on a few airports. Can't wait to get them all steadily. Must add Tropical Broome to my sig. Truely beautiful work Jarrad! Hope Global will allow for more Tropical and virtual holiday destinations/airports/cityscapes to discover steadily in various aircraft from GA to the very exciting long-haul birds due for release by PMDG. So thanks again Iain for your talents and ORBX team for your talents and forum friends and colleagues for making this a friendly and warm place to hangout! Sid!

Textures are as usual, wonderful. But here you see that we really need a landclass.

Should be nice to make some shots with UTX on, just to see if we can eliminate all those modern buildings that simply doesn't exist in the center of Rome,Florence or Naples. They are all out of the center.

Thank you very much for posting all of these great screens. Please do share any of Canada if you happen to pass through there, would be much appreciated! Thanks again.

Hi guys,

You're seeing the alpha build with default FSX landclass which has not yet been corrected. We're just showing you what FTX Global does in its current state of development when used with default LC. We have a testing team scouring the globe looking for issues to be corrected before release.

With respect Otto, we have to remember that this isn't a LC project, nor one of Orbx's regional projects. They are simply replacing old, fairly boring textures with far more enhanced ones. There's no way they could re-do every city to be a faithful representative of its real world counterpart, and release this this decade, never mind this year, and for the price they have set. To do a full city would require it to be part of a full regional project, and even then there is only so much they can do. I'm quite sure if they did my home town I could pick holes in it, but as this is a flight simulator and by definition we are flying at 2 miles a minute (or much faster), I don't think I'd notice too much that my town wasn't perfect, or care for that matter. The main objective is to have something good to look down on when flying over it, which I think they achieve quite well. As I say, I mean no disrespect, and understand your appreciation of knowing an area well, but it's beyond the scope of this project I believe :).

Glenn

Glenn, I am aware of this, I own nearly every scenery from Orbx, but currently I'm getting to a point where I ask myself, is it worse to spend money for replacing an ugly, unrealistic scenery (FSX default) by a nice looking but still unrealistic scenery.

This was no question for me in the past regarding regions like NA, AU or NZ, mainly consisting of pure landscape and not so many dense populated areas like Europe. Especially when you know some areas very well.

Regions like Africa or South America will for sure be seen different.

Yeah, I hear ya Otto. It'll be a similar deal for me in Eastern Canada. However, FTX Global will cover so much for so little (relative the coverage area) I'm sure for me it will open up places I don't fly now because the default textures are so butt ugly (for lack of a better term :)). But I do understand where you are coming from for sure. It's a decision each will have to make for themselves I suppose :).

Hmmm the screenshot of Florence doesn't convince me at all, looks totally unrealistic. Those modern buildings in downtown are an absolutely No Go. Sorry to say that.

I agree that Florence didn't look all that convincing and had way too many modern, grayish buildings.  The vast majority of buildings in northern and central Italy have red tile roofs, and while there are some modern buildings in the cities, there aren't as many as shown in those screenshots.

However, you have to realize that there are only so many different urban texture sets with certain types of autogen in the default FSX texture suite, so you have to compromise because that urban texture set may also be used in other parts of the world.  Other payware texture replacements are saddled with the same limitation, and their textures, in my opinion, don't look as good and realistic as FTX Global's.

I'm hoping that the OpenLC regions that JV has talked about will actually be able to give us "Italian-looking" cities in Italy, for example, by providing a higher level of customization for certain areas of the world, i.e. much more accurate landclass and special texture sets designed solely for that area/region of the world (and hopefully some limited vector data as well ;D).

Dave

Read my post above again guys - we are actually going to correct major LC flaws in the base product, before we even begin on openLC. You guys wanted alpha preview screenshots and this is what we are giving you. Please don't pick holes in the product until its been released.

Also as others have posted, the number of land classes in FSX will never cater for every urban area worldwide with a single install and forget product like this is. That is what our full fat FTX Regions cater for.

Textures are as usual, wonderful. But here you see that we really need a landclass.

Should be nice to make some shots with UTX on, just to see if we can eliminate all those modern buildings that simply doesn't exist in the center of Rome,Florence or Naples. They are all out of the center.

Exactly my thoughts. There are shots with the characteristic red-rooftops, so the buildings do exist in the autogen defintion of FTX Global.

I think one has to realize the difference between the global region and the regional add-ons. I'm sure that whenever Italy get's a FTX regional treatment in the future we will get the characteristic look we expect.

I'm from Rome city, I live close to the Vatican State, and i must say that at this stage of development the urban area is freaking awesome guys! Thank you, I'm drooling....

I'm from Rome city, I live close to the Vatican State, and i must say that at this stage of development the urban area is freaking awesome guys! Thank you, I'm drooling....

At the stage of development you are looking at FSX+ extra (and wonderful) textures.

And FSX landclass over big city  totally basic.

Be aware that you will always need a good LC and a good mesh to see something more realistic over your region.

Anyway I believe that ' it's always better to fly over an unknown area (which is most of the planet for you and me), because in this way you just discover without comparing virtual and reality  !

• Upvote 1

At the stage of development you are looking at FSX+ extra (and wonderful) textures.

And FSX landclass over big city  totally basic.

Be aware that you will always need a good LC and a good mesh to see something more realistic over your region.

Anyway I believe that ' it's always better to fly over an unknown area (which is most of the planet for you and me), because in this way you just discover without comparing virtual and reality  !

I totally agree

Hi Iain, thank so much for the pics, this FTX GLOBAL will be the necessary base to have finally an Italy in your simulator like you have never seen before, i am totally sure of this!!! Living in Florence i know perfectly what the buildings need to appear as you expect. Always remember that this base is necessary to obtain what you have in mind. The shots are meravigliosi Iain!!!