Sign in to follow this  
Mallard

Bumping my way to Dunedin

Should have been warned by the sky at Wellington

M4cOi.jpg

Things really started to build up approaching Christchurch

mMs0X.jpg

Had to change course and climb considerably - a whopper of a storm was brewing right in my flight path

YZ98x.jpg

VQfTF.jpg

Out the other side - and icing struck (you can see the white tips on the spinners). At least this time I saw the warning indicator and had already turned the de-icing mechanism on early enough

QIEf6.jpg

Over Christchurch - and the ride was smooth again

7skrg.jpg

Pulling in to Dunedin

sKtrR.jpg

No edits

Cheers

Mallard

Phenomenal shots Mallard , hard to choose which one I like best . Shot #1 gets my vote but the last shot is a close second . 

Cheers

Brad

I like the icing. I've never hit icing in FSX (not that I have tried to 'find' icing conditions.

Is that default FSX weather or do you have a weather package? (I've been wondering about investing in weather)

Great shots.

Thanks for the comments!

I like the icing. I've never hit icing in FSX (not that I have tried to 'find' icing conditions.

Is that default FSX weather or do you have a weather package? (I've been wondering about investing in weather)

Great shots.

Hi Jeff - This set was taken using the "REX weather" option that you can find in FSX weather selection (if you have REX, that is)... I sometimes just click it for laughs and to see what it will throw at me. This time around I was again quite amazed at the different kinds of weather it dealt me in a relatively small area. The take-off was in quite "normal" overcast conditions. The thunderstorm came a bit unexpected. I had noticed that the clouds were steadily getting taller and taller and additional layers were building up. And suddenly there was flashing and the rumble of thunder. That's when I decided on the evasive action.

All through the flight I had my eyes on the outside temperature readout. As soon as it went below freezing (at about 7,000 feet) I activated the de-icing mechanism.

At my cruise leve of 12,000 feet these temperatures suddenly dropped from a steady -8 C to -15 C within seconds as I approached and passed through the thunderstorm.

And then I came out on the other side, the visibilty went from a few miles to nearly unlimited, the haze was gone - and I had the iced windscreens and other affected parts to pay attention to.

In short - the weather that REX threw together was very detailed in the use of textures, visibility and temperatures. And the Dash reacts accordingly. So it's a great pair ;)

Cheers

Mallard

Thanks again for the comments!

Here's one more pic showing the ice on the spinners, nose tip and the co-pilot's window

73lh4.jpg

Cheers

Mallard

Wow. Not often we see ice accumulation on the pictures. Great set of shots, beautiful precise scenery with a plane that seems to be a lot of fun to fly.

Phenomenal shots Mallard , hard to choose which one I like best . Shot #1 gets my vote but the last shot is a close second . 

Cheers

Brad

+1  ::)

Peter