Ian,

Just a thought with regard to the FS Gensis Terrain Mesh which you have installed, it looks really good that's for sure, but will that in any way affect any FTX ORBX products with  FTX Global installed, why I am asking, is that it would seem that we will eventually need a suitable terrain mesh to go with the new Global Textures when they come out, I am just trying to work out what would be the best terrain mesh to get, I don't want to go and buy a product and then find out further down the track that it may cause problems with any FTX ORBX sceneries that I have,  do you have any thoughts on this side of things,

regards

John MacDonald

This is a valid question indeed. I know FSGenesis Mesh and FS Global Ultimate. If I am not mistaken, FS Global Ultimate ist the "best" mesh presently available with regards of Resolution. It comes on 12 DVDs and gives 120 GB for the whole world. However, there is a downside. The better the mesh, the more airports are sitting high on top of hills or buried in deep valleys:

http://www.fly2pilots.com/Cms/Ui/Pages/Products/MainPage.aspx?id=d3fca479-6c4c-465b-bd75-97445878ae48

The point (as far as I understand it) is that add-on airport developers usually take elevation data from fsx as a base (what else?) being plainly wrong. One airport where I observed this issue for sure is Aerosoft Megaairport Madrid, but there are far more. Pilot's (the maker of FSGlobal) provides a tool on the DVDs for correcting these issues on a per Airport (ICAO) base, but it's certainly a bit of hassle having to start this tool from DVD on every airport you have to correct (and there are numerous ones, believe me).

FSGenersis is not free of these issues, and I recall elevation issues with the Danube in Hungary using this one, too, but issues are less markedly (if present, at all) because of the lower resolution.

We certainly should not blame the makers of the meshs for providing correct meshs, but Microsoft (who certainly wan't care anymore) for implementing incorrect elevation data in FSX.

IMHO, this comes down to a trade-off between better elevation data and more airport issues (and more issues with landclass, e.g., rivers flowing on hills) and a (somewhat) less accurate mesh with less issues. A suggestion in this respect by ORBX would certainly be helpful. I doubt there is any way out serving all purposes (except, perhaps, providing better native elevation data in a future version of Prepar3d).

Kind regards, Michael

This is a valid question indeed. I know FSGenesis Mesh and FS Global Ultimate. If I am not mistaken, FS Global Ultimate ist the "best" mesh presently available with regards of Resolution. It comes on 12 DVDs and gives 120 GB for the whole world. However, there is a downside. The better the mesh, the more airports are sitting high on top of hills or buried in deep valleys:

http://www.fly2pilots.com/Cms/Ui/Pages/Products/MainPage.aspx?id=d3fca479-6c4c-465b-bd75-97445878ae48

The point (as far as I understand it) is that add-on airport developers usually take elevation data from fsx as a base (what else?) being plainly wrong. One airport where I observed this issue for sure is Aerosoft Megaairport Madrid, but there are far more. Pilot's (the maker of FSGlobal) provides a tool on the DVDs for correcting these issues on a per Airport (ICAO) base, but it's certainly a bit of hassle having to start this tool from DVD on every airport you have to correct (and there are numerous ones, believe me).

FSGenersis is not free of these issues, and I recall elevation issues with the Danube in Hungary using this one, too, but issues are less markedly (if present, at all) because of the lower resolution.

We certainly should not blame the makers of the meshs for providing correct meshs, but Microsoft (who certainly wan't care anymore) for implementing incorrect elevation data in FSX.

IMHO, this comes down to a trade-off between better elevation data and more airport issues (and more issues with landclass, e.g., rivers flowing on hills) and a (somewhat) less accurate mesh with less issues. A suggestion in this respect by ORBX would certainly be helpful. I doubt there is any way out serving all purposes (except, perhaps, providing better native elevation data in a future version of Prepar3d).

Kind regards, Michael

The Airport Flattening Meshes supplied with FSGlobal Ultimate just take a few seconds to install, and avoids those plateaus we see with 3rd party mesh.

You only have to to it once for each airport you wish to correct and is worth doing.