EGTR Review from AirdailyX

Is overall impression is a good one, but as you said regarding hardware settings. This review shouldn't really put people off because of that.

I also noticed on the CP settings he had grass enabled too. Though grateful for him to post an overall good review.

I found his settings and he only has a light overclock on an i7 860.
/>http://airdailyx.blogspot.ca/2013/03/adx-system-specs.html

He is making the mistake of assuming it's the extreme texture resolution that is causing his FPS hit, where in fact it's simply that he has chosen to leave 3D grass enabled in the control panel. There is a huge amount of 3D grass at EGTR and the control panel is there to allow users to easily turn it off if they find performance is an issue for them. I could make an airport at 1mm per pixel resolution and it would have no more of a performance impact than that of a standard 15cm airport. The performance hit will always come from bgl's containing hundreds of individual placements, such as grass.

Russ.

Hi Russ, I did not deactivate the grass. That is purely my fault. Ill do this later today and if it improves my framerates, ill ammend the imperssion with an appology. If I can say just ine more tome though, the scenery is amazing.

D'Andre

Hi D'Andre, no appology required, it's a very comprehensive review, many thanks for your kind words on the quality of the visuals at Elstree :) you should find that turning the grass off will bring your frame rate back up.

Hey Russ, I did deactivate all the features and yes, there was quite an improvement. But the stutters are still quite prominent. So whereas I am now getting a max of 37 FPS and a minimum of 17 FPS, the stutters are killer. Any thoughts?

I always find limiting frames to say 30 fps is much better than running unlimited. Anything above 30 fps is a waste of resources me thinks.

Each to their own with the limiter; external or internal.

Unlimited will cause huge stuttering with sceneries like these :)

The stutters are most likely due to EGTR's location, so close to London it's always going to be influenced by such a huge metropolitan area. You could prove or disprove this by going into your scenery library in the FSX world menu, and unticking the entry for EGTR and flying from the airport as represented by FTX ENG. If it is a London proximity issue then the stutters will remain. Make sure you leave all other FSX display settings untouched to maintain consistency for the test.

Russ.

Hey guys, ill try both. I keep mine set to unlimited because i read somewhere from JV that overall it makes the panning smoother which I found to be true. but I also found that using an external limiter while keeping the internal to unlimited works even better.

But as I an using P3D, i need SimLauncher and I cant run both. My wife filmed me flying the approaches at Elstree with my iphone and ill post the link shortly.

Since I removed the extra features, i am now getting a hang up at RWY 08.

She shot it from a bad angle but you get the picture

/>http://youtu.be/PpvZ4EP35-w

Your performance seems really good there with what looks like high autogen settings too. I would add that you should turn back on the other control panel options just leaving grass off, as currently the airport looks too empty. Those other options in the control panel are not there to save performance as those items dont really have an impact, they are there for personal user taste, if they dont like having static aircraft or people walking about etc. So turn the other control panel options back on to benefit from the airport experience, but leave grass off to keep the performance up.

As far as the hang on approach to 08, not sure, looks like your computer is pausing while it processes something, is this hang consistent with every approach? It also seems your system is operating fairly near it's limits, as at the begining of your video at 21 seconds you can see a flash of black tile in the lower left corner of your screen. This indicates high system load, and the fact that it happened while you were over the landclass of FTX ENG and not over the airport PR coverage area backs up my earlier point about the dense London urban landclass and autogen taking it's toll.

Try the test i mentioned in my last post and tell me how you get on with that.

Russ.

Your performance seems really good there with what looks like high autogen settings too. I would add that you should turn back on the other control panel options just leaving grass off, as currently the airport looks too empty. Those other options in the control panel are not there to save performance as those items dont really have an impact, they are there for personal user taste, if they dont like having static aircraft or people walking about etc. So turn the other control panel options back on to benefit from the airport experience, but leave grass off to keep the performance up.

As far as the hang on approach to 08, not sure, looks like your computer is pausing while it processes something, is this hang consistent with every approach? It also seems your system is operating fairly near it's limits, as at the begining of your video at 21 seconds you can see a flash of black tile in the lower left corner of your screen. This indicates high system load, and the fact that it happened while you were over the landclass of FTX ENG and not over the airport PR coverage area backs up my earlier point about the dense London urban landclass and autogen taking it's toll.

Try the test i mentioned in my last post and tell me how you get on with that.

Russ.

Okay i'll turn the others back on. That 08 approach hang happend 3 times and only after I disabled all the features. No issue approaching the other end as you saw. Yes I think you are correct about the location. I can actually see buildings on Centeral London and Canary Warf in the distance. As much as I love London maybe I should disable some of those buildings as well? I'll try the default FTX EGTR first.

Try something like Game Booster to shut off all unnecessary processes and programs, see if that helps. I use it, and have good performance with grass active.

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.php

Hey Bruce,

I actually use System Mechanic for that plus it has an internal optimiser for SSD drives. At the time of this flight, given the fack that P3D doesn't have an internal selection menu I have to make a lot of internal menu changes within the sim which pisses it off and hogs memory. Also, I have an LCD indicator on my keyboard which monitors the CPU and memory usage. For this flight memory was at 47% and CPU was at about 27%. I really hope LM releases a x64 bit version of P3D this year. The black suqares appear when I select an aircraft more than once. It really doesn't like that at all and that's when I get the squares. Not much though as you saw.

I could make an airport at 1mm per pixel resolution and it would have no more of a performance impact than that of a standard 15cm airport.

Russ.

When will it be ready? Can you do it in the US with them shadows again?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the update D'Andre, let us know how you gen on with it :)

Russ.

Hi Russ,

I'm sorry it took so long! As it turns out, you were right. Still single digits with the scenery deactivated. Damn. Is it really London?

I'll add an edit to the review. But any advice on what users could deactivate in the region to enjoy Elstree better?

Thats great news, thanks for testing and posting your findings, i do make my airports as optimized as possible, so i'm not surprised by your findings. However, everyone's mileage will vary, for some users the London area has more of an impact than others.

I am not a region developer, i do airports only, so i would not be the person to ask about increasing performance for FTX ENG, but generally London suffers from lower performance due to the high density of autogen, so reducing the autogen slider is the quickest and easiest way of making any region perform better.

Russ.

I always find limiting frames to say 30 fps is much better than running unlimited. Anything above 30 fps is a waste of resources me thinks.

Each to their own with the limiter; external or internal.

Unlimited will cause huge stuttering with sceneries like these :)

Same for me too