Sign in to follow this  
Orbxtreme

A Case of Contaminated Fuel

Orbxtreme    996

Taking off from Stewart to Bella Coola, the pilot was advised that the aircraft he was flying had been on the ground for one year.

Posted Image

After just two minutes airborne, the first engine quit. The pilot had to cancel the trip and return immediately to Stewart.

Posted Image

Few seconds later, the second engine quit. The pilot knew he was dealing with contaminated fuel. But he knew there was no problem to fly on two engines back to Stewart.

Posted Image

It was less impressive when the third engine left him in the cold. He was just hoping to count on the last one to reach the airport.

Posted Image

Knowing he had enough altitude, he called for the gear out.

Posted Image

On final, he kept himself a bit high, just in case the last engine gave him problems.

Posted Image

When he was sure that he made the runway, he sideslipped the old DC to loose unnecessary altitude.

Posted Image

He touched a bit quick on the slippery runway but considering how his day was going he didn't complain.

Posted Image

That was a different story to make a 180 at the end of the runway on one engine. He had to get on the side of the runway will full power on the remaining engine and do a big loop.

Posted Image

After what seemed an eternity, he could exit the runway and try to park near the hangar. The mechanic was there, reading his newspaper, like nothing happened.

Posted Image

The pilot stopped the plane and the remaining engine. It was time to go for a coffee, even if he normally wasn't drinking any coffee.

Posted Image

BradB    3,200

Fantastic shots Francois. Thanks for posting these and the great story.

+1

Brad

VH-KDK    4,126

What an impressive set Francois.

Top vs and a great story.

Super aircraft too well captured.

The pilot was sure hoping the last engine kept going or he would have been up there all day ::)

RJ    1,505

Great "National Geographic - Seconds From Disaster" episode! :)

alan2    180

Ladies and gentlemen no.4 engine has failed eta is delayed for 15 mins

Ladies and gentlemen no.3 engine has failed eta is delayed for 20 mins

Ladies and gentlemen no.2 engine has failed eta is delayed for 25 mins.

Passenger : ...gee, I hope the last engine doesn't fail , we'll be up here all day !

Orbxtreme    996

Thanks everyone! It was a lot of fun to build that story! The hardest part is always to choose which pictures you keep so you don't go over the 10 pictures allowed on the forum. The DC4 takes off without problem from Stewart. To land was more difficult because of the narrow runway and the correction needed just after the sideslip. I ended using more runway than expected. I suppose that in real life I would have had problems with overheated brakes, and even more problem to taxi back to the hangar!

Orbxtreme    996

Hmmmm, what kind of cargo from Columbia?

I know. How come it's the first thing that comes to mind when we see a DC4 from Columbia? But I chose not to build the story line around such an issue.