Sign in to follow this  
John Venema

EGTR Elstree - World's first 1cm/pixel airport from texture wizard Russ White!

Well I have to hand it to Russ.

Once again he has impressed me with his ability to continually refine his workflow and always seek to innovate further. His current project EGTR Elstree features - wait for it - 1cm, 2cm and 3cm resolution ground poly areas and combined with the on-location photography of John Lovell, the images you see here could be easily mistaken for actual photographs.

Russ has discovered new methods to get this level of fidelity about 5-6 time faster than it took him for CYBD, his last 2cm airport. Of course, why would I argue with him if he can get this level of detail at such a shortened development cycle?

How real can FSX/P3D get? If this is any indication, not a lot more - except maybe if we introduce smell-a-vision :)

EGTR will enter beta testing shortly for an April release.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Upvote 1

For a moment there, I actually thought I was looking at my photographs!

But wow!!.... Russ, you really have raised the bar yet again with your desire and passion to really push the boundaries of FSX/P3D

Well done! ;)

• Upvote 1

For a moment there, I actually thought I was looking at my photographs!

But wow!!.... Russ, you really have raised the bar yet again with your desire and passion to really push the boundaries of FSX/P3D

Well done! ;)

+1

Brad

How do you even get the imagery to do one cm pixels? Surely aerial photography isn't that detailed, and I doubt anyone's been walking up and down the takiways with a camera over their entire length!

• Upvote 1

How do you even get the imagery to do one cm pixels? Surely aerial photography isn't that detailed, and I doubt anyone's been walking up and down the takiways with a camera over their entire length!

Er, yep I did just that and with a camera.... didn't just walk up and down the taxi ways, I slipped a few times as it was very icy that day ;)

• Upvote 1

Er, yep I did just that and with a camera.... didn't just walk up and down the taxi ways, I slipped a few times as it was very icy that day ;)

I stand corrected and humbled!

Elstree is looking awesome and it is exactly how I remember it :).

I am going to be very happy when it's released as I have been waiting for someone to make Elstree for a long time. It looks like Orbx have yet again raised the bar with what looks to be an outstanding product.

Thanks to everyone at Orbx who has or is contributing to this airport!

~ Martin

I thought that when I first saw it, but look closer at the glass... appears to all be outside reflections.

LOL, how boring this forum would be without the Ocham's Razor that is Bruce Hamilton :-*

Outstanding! Nothing less!

I am looking forward to Russ doing Juneau in SAK! I hope that it will also receive this kind of treatment...

Thanks Russ, thanks ORBX to make this happen!

Outstanding! Nothing less!

I am looking forward to Russ doing Juneau in SAK! I hope that it will also receive this kind of treatment...

Thanks Russ, thanks ORBX to make this happen!

Yes PAJN will also use this same 1cm/pixel tech. Russ is very excited about doing SAK airports! ;)

Yes PAJN will also use this same 1cm/pixel tech. Russ is very excited about doing SAK airports! ;)

Indeed the control tower does have an interior at the top, with two peopleflow characters in there :)

Russ.

Please, Gentlemen, Stop it, STOP IT!!!

This is cruel! :)

SOLD!

What a beautiful airport!

SUPER!

Great work!

Indeed the control tower does have an interior at the top, with two peopleflow characters in there :)

Russ.

Please, Gentlemen, Stop it, STOP IT!!!

This is cruel! :)

:D +1

Wow, amazing work, Russ! (as always, lol)

John, you got a good camera, right? And I was wondering about the following: How long does it take until you have everything in the can?

This is exciting, but since I don't fly in England, I'm even more happy to see Juneau in this quality soon :)

lol, the buildings are based on photo's that John Lovell took onsite, but the ground has to be made all it's own, synthetically from scratch.

Russ.

It used to be that many add-on planes were more realistic than their surroundings. Orbx has flipped that on it's head. Now I'll have to take pics of only certain aircraft at these airports because the others would look cartoon like compared to the realism of the scenery. Simply outstanding.

That is so very good, :wub: flight sim scenery must be hitting the absolute limits, unless you wizards can do sim smells and wind to go with it! ::)

What an amazing piece of work!

The place needs a lick of paint - some of those buildings look a bit dilapidated ( as does a lot of the UK these days ). Still, thats the way it is, so thats the way its modeled - wonderful stuff, and at the top of my shopping list. :) Orbx, please keep these small airfields coming - they are exactly what I hoped for in FTX UK.

If that is what FSS was offering as part of their weekend special, then I would expect so. I'd check over the conditions Adrian set to qualify for the Elstree discount, but from memory if you got all the EU products you'd qualify yes.

If that is what FSS was offering as part of their weekend special, then I would expect so. I'd check over the conditions Adrian set to qualify for the Elstree discount, but from memory if you got all the EU products you'd qualify yes.

I can't find the old post/announcement so it would be good if Adrian could clarify; I'm sure he did imply this would be the case so just wanted to confirm.