[FTX GLOBAL] New 3D lights system - no FPS loss

After some R&D we have implemented a new 3D lighting system for FTX Global which does not impact FPS at all. We have tested with 500, 1,000, 5,000 and even 10,000 lights per square kilometre and there is ZERO frame rate loss!

Here are some shots over Paris using a few hundred lights per sq. km - for the end product we'll increase this 10x

I took these shots with all sliders maxxed, road traffic at 25%, commercial and GA traffic at 100% and I was getting 40FPS locked in the trike.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I will post more lighting shots as this system is implemented in all the textures.

After some R&D we have implemented a new 3D lighting system for FTX Global which does not impact FPS at all.

That should be a big help for users of Ultimate Terrain (as I believe their night lighting effects are frame rate hogs if memory serves me correct). Are you thinking about doing the "traffic stopped at the traffic lights" effect a la UT?

Great! Will this be "back-integrated" into the old FTX-Regions? Right now i tend to avoid flying at night time over FTX-territory.....

thank you very mcuh, ooking forward to!

chris

+1: Same here!

I would be happy to see this innovation be implemented into the "classic" regions (as well as SAK to come) to improve the performance in PNW, PFJ and the rest of NA!

Looks very nice! I can't wait, but I have to play devil's advocate here,

"40 fps in the trike"

this was the trike, but how will it be in an add-on aircraft, such as the Carenado 210 or comprable?

I always quote FPS figures in the Trike as I have done since 2007. Because it is the lightest FSX default aircraft you can easily compare the FPS impact of other heavier aircraft yourself by simply loading up a flight anywhere in the trike, then in your favourite aircraft and determine the difference.

40FPS (locked) in the trike all sliders maxxed over Paris (one of the heaviest autogen cities in the world) is a very, very good baseline performance metric. Also note I have FPS locked to 40 - with unlimited it would likely be in the 50-60's, but of course you would get slight stutters that way. I find if I use the half-sync setting in nVidia inspector and lock to 40FPS my sim is the smoothest.

Always pushing the boundaries and doing it so well is what we have come to expect with Orbx. And this is ground breaking stuff indeed.

Looks amazing and sure to put some 'light' back into night time flying again!

Well done Orbx! :)

I always quote FPS figures in the Trike as I have done since 2007. Because it is the lightest FSX default aircraft you can easily compare the FPS impact of other heavier aircraft yourself by simply loading up a flight anywhere in the trike, then in your favourite aircraft and determine the difference.

40FPS (locked) in the trike all sliders maxxed over Paris (one of the heaviest autogen cities in the world) is a very, very good baseline performance metric. Also note I have FPS locked to 40 - with unlimited it would likely be in the 50-60's, but of course you would get slight stutters that way. I find if I use the half-sync setting in nVidia inspector and lock to 40FPS my sim is the smoothest.

I didn't think about that John. With a lock, that is really good! I thought it was fluxuating around, not sure why I thought that. You are right, it is good performance, and I will surely be buying it after I get PFJ and NRM and some new aiports. I am going to be broke. Time to mow more lawns! 40 FPS in the trike is quite impressive, I would imagine anything else should be around 25-35 which is good for areas like Paris, London, NY, etc.

That should be a big help for users of Ultimate Terrain (as I believe their night lighting effects are frame rate hogs if memory serves me correct). Are you thinking about doing the "traffic stopped at the traffic lights" effect a la UT?

Yes we will be doing red and green stop lights at major intersections with vehicle brake lights backed up.

Thank you very much, for this, John. As you are most probably aware, since Steve Parsons began moderately successfully redoing the DX10 side of the HLSL folder, there has been a growing movement of simmers who are now enjoying this new "lease of life" in the old girl, with a number of scenery vendors also paying that extra bit of attention to this once-dead market, and I am thoroughly happy to see that you are among that group. You and your individual developers - what you produce - and the high standards you continue to maintain - are all very important parts in keeping this small "industry" moving forward, whether FSX with DX10, or FSX - P3D - your leadership is needed, and is felt everywhere. Much appreciated.

All the best,

Paul J.

It looks really really wonderful!!!

Let's hope have as soon as this new fantastic FTX Global!

Just a question:

FTX Global needs also the UTX addon ??? or FTX Global replaces all UTX features??

I hope i don't need UTX any more with FTX Global!!!

How it will be??

This is great news. We need night lights that are performance friendly. I hope that these new light are integrated with all the Regions. I have them all and will continue to buy them as long as these lights can be utilized.

Yes we will be doing red and green stop lights at major intersections with vehicle brake lights backed up.

Thumbs up! I must confess that I was a bit alienated by the FTX EU landclass issues outside the Orbx areas. So far I had been an avid supporter of the FTX NA series.

However, the latest news (no region switching anymore w/o landclass issues) and new framerate friendly technologies have fully restored my confidence. I believe Orbx sets the standards in FSX design today. And as a former scenery designer I don't say this lightly.

Soon you can concentrate on the last FSx framerate culprits such as car traffic. ;)

That is the plan, although we have not achieved that functionality yet. We're currently doing an audit of all the changes we made to lclookup.bgl over the past six years so we can create a common one across FTX regions and also not impact third party scenery too much.

Great stuff. Finally some realistic fps friendly night lights. I currently have all the UTX products and most GEX products. When FTX World comes out I am hoping the stress level in trying to put FTX World in and take out GEX coupled with keeping with UTX and not screwing up my scenery.cfg in the process stays low!! Hears hoping Orbx releases some type of guide for doing just the thing I mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish there was a way to use only 25% of the poles in any region. That would improve performance and allow us to enable the poles for night enjoyment.

Right now I'm loosing 50% of my fps because the current poles are so abundant. The lights look great, but the drop in fps is unacceptable.

WE NEED FTX GLOBAL ASAP.

• 5 weeks later...