Sign in to follow this  
Antony

ANSWERED The Future

The threads keep getting locked so it is hard to keep a thread flowing.

My question is will the planned FTX Global fix the problem with EU England, or could EU England be incorporated into an EU Europe as one large area?

Regards,

Antony

Those threads were locked because they were highlighting texture corruptions outside FTX Central regions; this is expected behaviour and nothing new to Orbx customers, therefore no further discussion was required. We have previously already committed to lessening the effect if FTX Central is kept active and this is an ongoing internal effort.

FTX Global will fix the problem outside FTX England because it will add Orbx textures to the whole world and re-engineer the existing FTX regions to work with it; we can do that because we'll essentially redefine what is "standard" for all of FSX, by using a custom lclookup.bgl relevant to the whole world at once.

If you don't adopt FTX Global, then as we create more EU regions then naturally you will be able to fly between them without needing to switch using FTX Central. Keep FTX Central set to "Europe" in that instance. Pretty soon you will be able to fly to Wales and Scotland, then Northern Ireland and Ireland, then across to other EU countries.

I hope this explains our forward path clearly enough.

Those threads were locked because they were highlighting texture corruptions outside FTX Central regions; this is expected behaviour and nothing new to Orbx customers, therefore no further discussion was required. We have previously already committed to lessening the effect if FTX Central is kept active and this is an ongoing internal effort.

FTX Global will fix the problem outside FTX England because it will add Orbx textures to the whole world and re-engineer the existing FTX regions to work with it; we can do that because we'll essentially redefine what is "standard" for all of FSX, by using a custom lclookup.bgl relevant to the whole world at once.

If you don't adopt FTX Global, then as we create more EU regions then naturally you will be able to fly between them without needing to switch using FTX Central. Keep FTX Central set to "Europe" in that instance. Pretty soon you will be able to fly to Wales and Scotland, then Northern Ireland and Ireland, then across to other EU countries.

that's what i hoped to hear. Thanks John for claryfing this. Case closed for me,

Carsten

I have to say it was something new to me. I've always kept PNW active since installing it in June 2010 and I never had these issues elsewhere. The corruptions to default Europe when flying outside of England took me by surprise. I for one hope your Internal efforts do allow England to play as well as PNW with default areas.

So purchasing the £200 FTX global or buying other EU Regions will be necessary to allow me to fly in and out of England without shutting down and re-opening the sim. I really wish this had been obvious on the product page before purchasing as I would certainly have thought twice before clicking the buy button.

It certainly seems clear to me. To enjoy England for anything other than short VFR trips staying in the area I'll have to purchase FTX Global. I'm just a little disappointed this was only made clear some time after the release of EU ENG.

Those threads were locked because they were highlighting texture corruptions outside FTX Central regions; this is expected behaviour and nothing new to Orbx customers, therefore no further discussion was required.

Hi JV,

I have to agree with chaders, this stance takes me completely off guard as well. I too have had PNW always active since the day I installed it and never ran into any issues. I could go to it, from it, or not even go near it and never had a problem. When England was announced it seemed to be a sure-fire purchase for me. But now, by your statements here, it is not compatible with anything but itself or an over-$200 product not released yet. Hopefully the clear path forward is that you can make some changes to have England be as compatible with the rest of the FSX world just like the great PNW is.

I would really like to keep using England, I absolutely love it and would really like to start purchasing the airports that you come out with for it, but I can't justify it if some solution, other than spending more than 4 times what I originally spent, will not come about.

Hi JV,

I have to agree with chaders, this stance takes me completely off guard as well. I too have had PNW always active since the day I installed it and never ran into any issues. I could go to it, from it, or not even go near it and never had a problem. When England was announced it seemed to be a sure-fire purchase for me. But now, by your statements here, it is not compatible with anything but itself or an over-$200 product not released yet. Hopefully the clear path forward is that you can make some changes to have England be as compatible with the rest of the FSX world just like the great PNW is.

+1

Whilst buying FTX global may be a solution to this problem I would not want to replace other non default textures that are possibly better than a NEW YOUNG FTX Global product - its a step back!

If England can't be (I'm not going to say fixed because JV clearly states its not broke even though it does NOT behave like my other Orbx regions) altered to work like PNW etc I will have very limited use for it - but as it is nice in its own way the odd GA flight every now and then will have to suffice. And as for the cost, still worth it.

I am some what annoyed that the my post from early January has been locked, where i stated my problems with textures outside of England.

I would like to say...

Not anywhere on the orbx website or anywhere on any secondary sales websites does it state that fsx textures will be corrupt outside of the England area, if the EU area is activated.

Also I was told earlier this month that the problem was being rectified and a fix being tested. But today told that the problem has been around for 5 years and will always be around unless we get FTX global for $190?

I'm annoyed I have to be honest.

Sorry guys, it is what it is and no amount of complaining is going to change how we designed and implemented FTX. The fact remains that FTX England is our fastest and biggest selling product and the overwhelming majority of those purchasers (read 99.9%) are more than happy with it and understand the limitations of how FTX works. We've sold more copies of England in 8 weeks than PNW in 18 months and it shows no slowing down. Sorry to rain on your parade, but people really like the product and understand its limitations.

If you leave North America active in FTX Central you won't even see trees or correct autogen in our NZ or EU, so please let's get real about the limitations of our customised control files; you cannot at this time achieve a global solution with our tech without making considerable changes. As I have now said numerous times we are looking into possibly softening the effect of ENG on the rest of Europe but it won't solve the issues completely, because that's not how we made our products work in the first place.

I just get the feeling a very vocal minority (mostly VA'ers or tubeliner pilots) are beginning to show some buyer's remorse because they purchased England without understanding how FTX works or indeed trying our demos. We did not advertise "Europe by Orbx", we advertised "England, by Orbx". We never made claims of seamless Orbx scenery from London to Berlin, but instead espoused the 150,000+ square kilometres of England. We even made it clear it was ENGLAND, not Great Britain, not Wales, not Scotland or the UK. But we now, some two months later seem to have this mini-revolt suggesting we misled our customers.

Here's the rub: it is a s-i-m-u-l-a-t-o-r: start a flight at Heathrow, cross the channel or North Sea, save your flight, exit FSX, run FTX Central, set it to default, re-load the flight and all is well in the world. Anyone who thinks that is just too much hassle needs to get out more, sorry.

If you leave North America active in FTX Central you won't even see trees or correct autogen in our NZ or EU, so please let's get real about the limitations of our customised control files; you cannot at this time achieve a global solution with our tech without making considerable changes. As I have now said numerous times we are looking into possibly softening the effect of ENG on the rest of Europe but it won't solve the issues completely, because that's not how we made our products work in the first place.

The only thing about this is we are talking about the rest of the FSX world. Not just FTX areas. Of course we all know how FTX works in that respect, and are perfectly fine with that. We are talking about going on a flight from England to France, or France to England, or Italy to Greece, or Taiwan to Singapore. None of those are FTX areas, they are FSX areas, with nothing else than FSX default textures and autogen, and they are what is affected. Like I pointed out above, I can leave PNW active all day long everyday, and fly wherever in FSX my heart desires, and I have no autogen problems, no blurs, no issues at all. Based on that experience, I expected England to be the exact same. Why would you change that?

I just get the feeling a very vocal minority (mostly VA'ers or tubeliner pilots) are beginning to show some buyer's remorse because they purchased England without understanding how FTX works or indeed trying our demos. We did not advertise "Europe by Orbx", we advertised "England, by Orbx".

Even if you consider what any of us say as being a minority, it doesn't change the fact that we are paying customers, and the product that we paid for doesn't work the way your previous products work.

We never made claims of seamless Orbx scenery from London to Berlin, but instead espoused the 150,000+ square kilometres of England. We even made it clear it was ENGLAND, not Great Britain, not Wales, not Scotland or the UK. But we now, some two months later seem to have this mini-revolt suggesting we misled our customers.

You also never made claims that England would not work with default FSX, anywhere in the world. Also, it was very obvious to everyone what was covered, we knew just England, that was stated plainly and was seen in the GE file you provide on the product page. If anyone missed that part, I'd be surprised lol.

But we now, some two months later seem to have this mini-revolt suggesting we misled our customers.

In regards to misleading, the only way I could say that you misled anyone is if you knew before release that England did not act like every other FTX product, and screwed around with FSX's default autogen and texturing, and did not disclose that information. I was not a part of the beta, but I would not be surprised if no one tested this (a flight to/fro England, or just any flight outside of England), as your tester's concentration would probably have been only inside England itself.

But like I said, I would not point that finger unless you knew and did not tell us. Based on the responses we got during support of this, I'd say you didn't know. That's fine, it happens. But, all we can ask for now is help in fixing this. FTX England is an outstanding product, I don't think anyone could argue about that. I don't care about it being compatible with other FTX areas, like I said before I fully understand how FTX works and why, and I have no problem with that.

We all want to use it. So, we are only asking to please make the attempt to make it compatible with everywhere else in the default FSX world.

We all want to use it. So, we are only asking to please make the attempt to make it compatible with everywhere else in the default FSX world.

+1

I love the product, great fps, great to look at day or night i just find it madness to have to save the flight, shut down fsx, shut down the va's tracker, switch regions, re-start fsx, restart the tracker, all so there is not chunks of terrain tiles out of place and blurries all over the fsx world.

Get out more or its a s.i.m.u.l.a.t.o.r dont cut it for me and i too am asking you if you would please look deeper in to this, its our hard earned cash we pay for your products with.

If i had known from the product page that these anomolies would cause this to the rest of the sim i would of held off for the release of FTX global and run the lot together in peace and harmony.

For me it sounds like not even FTX expected such behavior.

As a matter of fact FTX England is produced by a complete different Company and

seems to do things different. Now things can't be change that easily.

Just my opinion.

You could also look at it positively: if it didn't affect the default FSX textures, I might have been tempted to invest in some other FTX EU regions as well. Thanks Orbx for saving my hard earned money!

Here's the rub: it is a s-i-m-u-l-a-t-o-r: start a flight at Heathrow, cross the channel or North Sea, save your flight, exit FSX, run FTX Central, set it to default, re-load the flight and all is well in the world. Anyone who thinks that is just too much hassle needs to get out more, sorry.

I am afraid "the rub" is not an option for me. The ACARS software we use at our VA will not allow you to do that without losing the flight because, s-i-m-u-l-a-t-o-r or not, it is not realistic to do so.

I have not used other regions but if PNW can be left active without messing around with other regions, why can't EU England do the same? Do they not fundamentally do the same job?

I'm not going to argue with you guys about this. I have said all I need to about this issue and we've already committed to reducing the lclookup.bgl effect from FTX England for those who insist on leaving it active through EU. Watch out for that in future SPs moving forward, but we are going to contain any grief on these forums for those pushing the same barrow ad infinitum.

For those who have decided to not invest further in Orbx addons, we completely respect your decision and that is your prerogative and we don't begrudge your decision at all. Best of luck with using FSX default textures, other vendors' addons or photoreal addons for your flights.

We are not going to fundamentally reverse the way in which we make FTX addons because of some disquiet from a selected group of customers, sorry about that.

It is not a case of "insist", it is a case of "having too".

As you say, no point in arguing. I just want to understand why it occurs in Europe with UE England but not when other regions are used.

Anyway, never mind. Have a good weekend.

I'm not going to argue with you guys about this.

Indeed. Thank you for at least taking the time to give some feedback on where everything is at. I will still look forward to the future service packs for any improvements that may come about. If we can get this one nailed, you can count me and I'm sure others in on picking up some of the new airports you have planned for England.