Hi All,

Thought I might start a new topic with a different theam, just wondering how many of the forum members also fly RC models and what, when, how long etc., might be interesting to us all.

I'll start. With me it all started in 1972 and I quickly became hooked, through the years I flew glider, pylon, aerobatics and scale, but loved competition glider (F3B), then in 1988 got my full size instructor rateing and from then on had no time for the models.

Reacently retired, I have re-started my love of RC modeling, starting with a 1/5th scale Piper Cub, followed by a semi 1\5th scale of a NEMESIS racer all electric (love the electric, no oil or mess), and now I have just finished building a 1/4 scale Tiger Moth, first flight next week (weather permitting).

My life has been full of aviation in many of it's forms and getting back into RC has been a great joy (sorry JV, can't fly in Orbx land 24/7).

I look forward to hearing others RC experiance.

Thank You.

G'day Dave,

I fly RC Gliders and Heli's. Have pared my hangar down somewhat recently due to instructions from the Minister for War and Finance (she's taken my man-cave from me :( ) Currently have a single 450 size heli and one 2.1m glider for thermalling. I made the switch to all electric gear a few years ago as well, the currently available brushless motors paired with LiPo batteries makes it a no-brainer. My next acquisition and build is planned for the next couple of months - an Art Hobby Ibis ET. Also thinking of a 600 size heli from Hobby King.

Cheers,

Derek

hi guys.a wonderful hobby.my favourite part was the building as my flying was, well lousy.actually quite dangerous.but that was a long time ago...great topic....cheers Bill

I fly RC electric as well. I am not a "builder", but, an assembler. I enjoy casual flying, not really into competition. I enjoy fixed wing and heli. Have been flying RC for about 4 years. I plan on flying a lot more, sim and RC, when I retire next year.

Danny

I flew a lot RC until my business, two kids and Orbx took over ^_^ . But i am pretty sure that i'll get back to it one day. It's a fantastic hobby and you spend more time outside.

Just one tip regarding LIPO batteries - my parents almost lost their house a couple month ago. A LIPO pack in one of my fathers electric gliders ignited out of nowhere (wasn't charged, just stored). The whole basement burned out but luckily the fire didn't spread upwards... Nobody was at home when this happened and the firefighters said that they were very lucky.

Better store those LIPOs in a metal case outside - just to make sure. And never charge without being nearby.

That's how it looked

post-393-0-67651700-1358393926_thumb.jpg

Derek, The ibis ET looks great, I think that's my next move, to electric glider I mean.

Heiko, Thanks for the reminder, I did hear about the dangers of LIPO batteries, I have a strong metal fireproof case in the garage, they will be there from now on.

Yeah, better save than sorry. My dad lost many (expensive) models plus equipment in the fire. There was a 7 meter glider with retractable electric engine stored as well... Hopefully LIPO will be replaced soon by a saver system.

Wow, I have LIPOs sitting at home on the shelf. I was under the impression they were more prone to catch fire if they were being fed far too much current, but I guess this is not the case. Will try and find somewhere outside to store them in a metal case.

Currently have a few small trainer helis and a big glider... but no time to practice :(

Many years ago, after having spent a year or two flying a couple of 2 channel gliders, I spent six months building a 5 channel, 1/4 scale Pik20 salplane on the kitchen table! It ended up with a 5mtr wingspan and weighed in at 11lbs! It was a fantastic model, including flaps and spoilers. It flew like a dream, although extremely quickly due to me building it about a 1lb overweight. I flew it for a few weeks and then tip stalled it while scratching around in light lift and disintegrated after spiralling into the hill, much to the venomous amusement of passers by. After that I couldn't muster any enthusiasm to build another one. I do occasionallly drop in to the local RC club when flying. There are some pretty impressive aircraft which almost entice me back...

Yeah Dean, it's extremely rare that they blow from alone. But hey, as we know very well now - it can happen. Probably a production mistake. Believe me, nobody of his friends got a single pack inside the house now... ::)

Ive got one of those LiPo charge bags that are supposed to be fireproof that you put your batteries in while charging... Wonder if they are suitable to use for storage as well in the absense of a good metal container? Otherwise, maybe a large Milo tin might do the trick :P

Wow, those lipos sound scary. Lithium and air don't mix well!

I'm only just starting to get into it, got a tiny Xieda heli, amazing tech nowadays. Lots of learning to do, though i need to upgrade to a better brand. I could never afford or justify the old tech, ha and Dave your intro reminded me of watching the boys at the park flying those planes stuck on a control line around and around. My how things have improved!

Looking forward to eventually getting a small cub and buzzing around the local park- if our infamous Melbourne breezes permit.

Off to check on my 3 150 mah Lipos!

I've read that a reasonable crash can make any lipo risky. Any slight bulge or softness, stick them in a water and salt mixture for 2 weeks (!!!). I got 2 in a bucket already. A good balance charger seems compulsory.

hi rockliffe.i know the feeling.mine was a full throttle dive.my little OS40 engine ended up 6" deep in the hard ground.it can be disheartening after spending months to build....cheers Bill

It's amazing what quality you get nowadays with those 'ready to fly' models. I remember the trash from 10 ago lol. I have a friend which is producing aircraft here in Asia and have contact to a couple RC shops which are selling 'ready to fly' or 'almost ready to fly'.

Not everybody got the time or skill to build himself - it's a good alternative. And when you hit the dirt it doesn't hurt so much (just the wallet) ^_^ .

Heiko, that's a beautiful glider in your dad's pic 8) so sorry to hear about the LiPo accident. It is known to happen from time to time, LiPo's are very sensitive to damage, even dropping one on the floor can cause enough internal damage to create an internal short and fire. I keep mine in LiPo storage bags in my garage (brick and concrete - no flammables) and when I'm charging them they're stuck in holes in a concrete breeze block.

RC aircraft today are incredibly good for the low price, anyone wanting to give it a go can't go past some of the RTF (Ready to Fly) EPO Foam planes that are on the market. Something like the EasyFly, a 2.5m electric powered glider is so simple to learn on with a basic (minimum 4 channel) transmitter. They can be bought from China fully delivered for peanuts (relatively speaking). The biggest mistake a lot of people make is buying something that is far beyond their capability straight off the bat and then get frustrated at the difficulty in controlling the aircraft at high speed or they crash and burn (I speak from hard learned experience lol). Slowly slowly is the order of the day.

Cheers,

Derek

Heiko, I would have shed many tears over the loss of that beautiful glider, hope dad got over it OK.

ARF's, almost ready to fly, my Nemesis was one and was manufactured in Vietnam, I have to say the quality was second to none and it flew with almost no trim adjustment straight off the bat. Highly recomend ARF, RTF for anyone starting out, or like me getting back after many years.

My 1/4 scale tiger moth is complete (needed a fair bit of lead in the nose to get the CG right, but it does have a short nose so fare enough), next Tuesday seems to be the big day, I'll post a couple of shots after the forst flight.

Good luck, Dave. Yeah, please make pictures :) .

Indeed, the LIPO could have been damaged internally by hard landings or vibrations. It should have the same danger declaration as Napalm... ::)

That was of course like a shock for my parents, yeah. My dad said he has enough with RC for good. Well, right now he is flying 2 models which survived and as far as i know 3 new ones lol.

I got into the gas sport/aerobatic models in the late 70s and built/flew them sporadically up through the early 90s. I had a really sweet SIG Kougar that I flew for 13 yrs. Note the past tense. Very hard to find a good place to fly them here, there are no clubs or RC fields in my area. I got into these electric park flyers in the mid 90s and started flying them right here at home. Great fun for a while but it get's boring quickly flying by yourself all the time, it's been a few years since I've messed with them. Lately I've been thinking about the gas models again, I have a .60 sized Extra 300 ARF that just needs a radio installed that I've been thinking about dragging out this spring. I haven't flown anything at all in ten years and the last thing I flew was a park flyer - this oughta be good - an Extra 300 with a .75 on it as a trainer, lol. I know if I can get it up there and trimmed out I'll be able to get it back down before I run out of fuel - those first few seconds between takeoff and a couple hundred feet might be a handful though :) . Hopefully it'll be like riding a bicycle, if not I'll post pics of the wreckage...

Thanks for the memory jog Heiko - I've got a couple of those lipo packs laying around myself. I'd sort of forgotten about them. I better get them into a can and outside in the storage shed tomorrow.

Jim

hi Jim.i'd find someone with recent experience with the extra 300 to help you until you get back into the feel for it.it all happens so fast.a few seconds of confusion and...well you know..imho...cheers Bill

The Tiger Moth is finished and had it's first couple of flights yesterday.

What can I say but Brilliant, it flew straight off with only a little trim change and handles briliantly, I look forward to many good flights with it.

http://fsfiles.org/f.../01/22/EReT.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/f...01/22/xlgJk.jpg

Very Happy.

Thanks Guys, here are my other two current planes, Nemesis Racer and Piper Cub (no cowl on the cub in these pics).

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/01/23/faUeE.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/01/23/LUqZ5.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/01/23/xSgbW.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/01/23/985jr.jpg

The Nemesis is all electric and I am most impressed with the quality and power of the motors now and the LiPo batteries, it's a whole new world of RC flying, Cub has a .61 Cu Inch (10cc) 4 stroke..

Next project look into a high quality electric powered glider.

Interesting thread. Soaked in it at 9yo, still in it at 46. Glow engine are gone, all electric now.

Owned a hobby shop for 10 years. Everything I have now come from HobbyKing.

Lipo are way more stable now Sorry for your dad lost. Very sad.

A little flight over my home:

[media=]http://youtu.be/9wsy6IMHmkA

Hello everyone,

I've been flying R/C airplanes since '89. I was taught while living at RAF Feltwell, UK when I was still in the military. I think in 1990 we created a flying club on RAF Feltwell, which I was the first president. Then, I think in early 1991 the government kicked us off so they could build some radar stuff. But flying off of the old WWII airfield at Feltwell was fantastic.

I am presently the President and web master of the Post Falls Flyers Club, Post Falls, ID (website: http://allons7.wix.com/post-falls-flyers ).

My first airplane was a kit, the Great Planes PT20....then I got the Carl Goldberg J3 Anniversary Cub, then a Jr Tiger....... then after that, my inventory just grew, and grew, and grew, as I was hooked on this hobby.

Being retired, I have too many projects...building a fish aquarium stand, renovating the kitchen...oh, those are my "honey do" projects.......my preferred projects would be...... building the TruFlite Cessna 182 (Kit), and, a 72" wingspan 182 ARF I got off ebay. However, I haven't done much on these airplanes lately as I've been spending too much time Flight Simming with the ORBX scenery. I wish someone would, or could, build the Old RAF Feltwell (WWII) airfield scenery, with all the old hangars etc.

All of you R/C pilots and, Flight Sim pilots......Safe flying....

Rod

PS. How do I upload pics onto the forum? I need a publication "How to post pics for DUMMIES".. When I press that image button it wants an url. I don't have an url.

PS. How do I upload pics onto the forum? I need a publication "How to post pics for DUMMIES".. When I press that image button it wants an url. I don't have an url.

Here you go... http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38447-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/

Cheers,

Derek

Hello again to all, Derek, I had a look at the ibis ET from Art Hobbies, a lovely glider, but have settled on the Mistique 2.9m from Horison Hobbies. It's a 2.9 meter span electric glider with cambering wing giving a nice slow thermaling speed and a good fast tween thermal speed, with the advantage of power for aerobatics and climb power in that all too frequent sinking air. I'm expecting it next week so wil post some pictures of the assembly as it progresses.