G'day all,

As some of you are aware, I was asking a few questions about a camera for plane spotting. I ended up getting a Canon 600D with a 70-300mm lens. Last Thursday I woke up early, and went down to YSSY for some spotting to test out my new toy. Still learning, so if you guys have any suggestions please let me know. Also let me know which is your favourite!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This citation was using its reversers on the taxiway?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Can anyone tell me anything special about VH-YFC?

Posted Image

Posted Image

This one here was taken from just under a kilometer away!

Posted Image

And here are some from when I went flying at Camden last Wednesday.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers,

Ollie

Thanks mate! What I really loved about it was when I had like the Asiana and Garuda jets taxi right past you in what seems like in touching distance. You get a great big wiff of jet fuel!

Cheers,

Ollie

Posted Image

Can anyone tell me anything special about VH-YFC?

G'day Ollie,

The only thing I know about YFC is that it was the first 737 operated by Virgin Aus after they were renamed from V Blue, but apart from that, buggered if i know.

Great shots by the way. The Citation is very interesting, like you say and I notice the A-380 seems to only be using reverse on the 2 inboard engines, not sure if that's the norm with these or not.

G'day Ollie,

The only thing I know about YFC is that it was the first 737 operated by Virgin Aus after they were renamed from V Blue, but apart from that, buggered if i know.

Great shots by the way. The Citation is very interesting, like you say and I notice the A-380 seems to only be using reverse on the 2 inboard engines, not sure if that's the norm with these or not.

You are correct about YFC. I actually flew on it when it was brand spanking new and was still in an all white livery, before Virgin Australia was announced to the public. With the A380, it only has reversers on the two inboard engines, as the outer ones overhang the runway, and would have caused some problems I guess.

hi.some nice shots.i really like the REX photo but they're all great.you'll get years of fun out of your new camera/lenses.....cheers Bill

Cheers mate, and thanks for your help aswell!

Not bad for starters. You need to try on better weather with more light.

Some CC:

The images are soft. You need to have more speed (light permitting).

Always number the images when posting more than three for easy comments and reference

On the Tiger Moth, nice one but I would clone out the pink markers in post processing (see below) and it is slightly out of focus. When there is depth to the aircraft like this you need a small aperture for more depth of field

On the Virgin takeoff I would clone out the radar

On the A380 you cut the tail. Try to fit the whole plane it

The Cessna shot is too tight

Pity on the pole obstructing the Citation. Would be a nice picture without it

Make your horizons level

As a sample, I redid this one in PP in only two minutes. Could be done better with more time (certainly!) but just to show possibilities. Added some USM, lightened it up a slight crop and cloned out the markers and the distracting yellow line. The image is still slightly OOF but not much can be done about it now.

Posted Image

On this one I cropped (it is still too far so the image quality is not great to begin with. At a distance you get distortion from the atmosphere. Lightened it up, increased detail and applied noise reduction to the sky only:

Posted Image

This is a simple and quick example of the possibilities.

For these I used PS9, Topaz Adjust 5 and Topaz Detail.

Nice shots overall.

Some C&C, hope you take them as a constructive way to improve.

1) They seem all a tad underexposed to me, as the metering has been influenced by the sky. If you shoot using Av, maybe a +1EV could give much light to the scene. Otherwise, use a spot metering which will give you much better exposure.

2) Many shots are not properly focused, not an easy task if you are shooting at the widest aperture. If you use A/F, your camera should be equipped with a dynamic autofocus, which may help in these conditions. Disable the IS if you are panning while shooting.

Keep them coming.

2) Many shots are not properly focused, not an easy task if you are shooting at the widest aperture. If you use A/F, your camera should be equipped with a dynamic autofocus, which may help in these conditions. Disable the IS if you are panning while shooting.

Keep them coming.

As an owner of the Canon 70-300mm in question I would suggest that the IS is best left on but switched to Mode 2 which provides stabilization specifically designed for panning shots and provides a very good base for good aircraft shots.

Thanks everyone for the comments, especially those with tips for improvements. My problem was that I only had just got the camera, and never going plane spotting before, I was trying to get the right settings, and with it being cloudy with fast moving objects it was somewhat a pain to get it right. None of my shots actually looked good, so I tried my best to 'edit' them up a bit so I atleast had something presentable. I will hopefully go again soon, with better weather and lighting (fingers crossed), but living a good hour away from any airport it is a bit difficult to just go for an hour and practice.

I do have a flying lesson tomorrow, so I will bring along my camera and see what I can do. If I get anything good will post it here, with the tips from you guys in mind :)

Once again, thanks everyone for the comments, they are much appreciated!

Cheers,

Ollie

Great stuff Ollie. I recently got a new camera myself, although probably not as complex as yours, and I love going to YMEN and YMML, as well as just walking around near my house taking pics of planes flying around. I really like your pictures, and my favourite would have to be the United 747 taking off (or is it landing?). It just has a lot of action going on, and the heat blur behind the plane gives a really nice effect. I would take AlexF's advice on board, as I'm sure you know, his photos tell me that he knows his stuff! Thanks for sharing your photos, and enjoy your new toy!

Cheers,