Skykruser

ORBX on 2 computers

Skykruser    0

Hi

I have many ORBX scenery packs installed on my desktop computer. Some are from DVDs but most are downloads. Is it permissible to also install these sceneries on my laptop (without paying for them again) or would that constitute an infringement of some sort?

Just wondering,

Skykruser (Peter)

Hotspot    4

Hi SkyKruser,

The short answer as far as I can work out is no. One download or DVD is a licence for a single installation on one computer, thus for my multiple computers I have paid for five full Australia, three New Zealand, one set of USA/Canada licences, and copious single airports. In use at the moment is three of the Oz licences, two of the NZ, the only USA/Canada - and if I want to load the USA/Canada on different computer I have to buy another set of the appropriate areas or uninstall them from the existing PC and reinstall on another.

yhmlpilot    0

Hi SkyKruser,

The short answer as far as I can work out is no. One download or DVD is a licence for a single installation on one computer, thus for my multiple computers I have paid for five full Australia, three New Zealand, one set of USA/Canada licences, and copious single airports. In use at the moment is three of the Oz licences, two of the NZ, the only USA/Canada - and if I want to load the USA/Canada on different computer I have to buy another set of the appropriate areas or uninstall them from the existing PC and reinstall on another.

Sorry Mate but I think you get a bad deal there. Once purchased I believe that as long as its for private use you can do what you what with it. I only bought 1 copy of my products and I've used them on many computers and edited then to fix some stuff but as long as you don't distribute them your all good :D

Ed Correia    1,770

Part of the EULA which you agree to when installing any of ORBX's products:

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. This EULA grants you the following rights:

a. You may install, access, and run a SINGLE copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on a SINGLE personal computer for your personal, non-commercial, non-profit use. Any party or organisation seeking to use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT under license for commercial use should contact ORBX at www.orbxsystems.com

Seems pretty clear to me.

Hotspot    4

Sorry Mate but I think you get a bad deal there. Once purchased I believe that as long as its for private use you can do what you what with it. I only bought 1 copy of my products and I've used them on many computers and edited then to fix some stuff but as long as you don't distribute them your all good :D

Thanks for the heads up mate, but I like to sleep well at night.

yhmlpilot    0

Part of the EULA which you agree to when installing any of ORBX's products:

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. This EULA grants you the following rights:

a. You may install, access, and run a SINGLE copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on a SINGLE personal computer for your personal, non-commercial, non-profit use. Any party or organisation seeking to use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT under license for commercial use should contact ORBX at www.orbxsystems.com

Seems pretty clear to me.

Fair enough.

I just don't think it's enforceable and FSS

Gives you unlimited downloads, I'm not using the product for commercial ventures and I bought my copies fair and legally and therefore I use them for my own personal enjoyment

Nothing more to say.

:D

Matthew Webb    38

Just to address the FSS unlimited downloads: In the very early days of Orbx, we only offered a very limited download limit. This did cause problems for some customers who didn't backup their downloaded installations and then lost them by accidental deletion or disk crash. As a goodwill gesture to its customers, Orbx requested FSS to change the download limit policy.

Goodwill gestures run both ways. :)

Cheers,

Matt.

Jay Kae    2,275

@yhml you betcha it is enforceable, whether or not we go and hunt them down is a secondary question :)

spud    166

No intent meant

Nor do I want to break

Any rules but I don't see harm in

Buying an orbx product and using it

On 2 personal computers.

Of course there is "no harm" except that it is illeagal to do, and i seriously doubt that ORBX will send the authorities to your door but they would be well within their rights to do so. I'm sure your not the only person that uses "single copy" software on more than one computer for personal use but it is 'breaking the rules".

In addition I'm sure that you will see some posts here that what your doing is considered 'theft' but personal opinion will have to be your guideline.

yhmlpilot    0

I would hate to admit that there are probably thousands of people out there using a single copy license on "more than one computer". I for one am not at the moment due to a lack of a second computer but I definately do not have the money to be buying multiple copies.

:)

Jay Kae    2,275

In other words you are advocating for people to breach our EULA ? I think not... topic locked.