Tommy Bernes

Visiting the Desert - Flight in PNW - Pictures

Hey!

Been out flying in the PNW the other day to continue gathering hours towards my Commercial license now. Last pictures i posted here were from Twin Oaks in November last year, and seeing that thread brought back up to life now, i thought I`d Post some more pictures! Since last time i got my Private pilot license and my instrument rating, so it is moving along towards CFI :) Anyways, the flight went from Hillsboro to Yakima via Toledo, TDO on the way to Yakima and Hood River Airport on the way back to Hillsboro. The pictures are taken from my thread on a norwegian forum, roughly translated to english, thanks to Google Translate. Bare with me on any errors there!

Enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello!

A little while since the last picture post in here now. A few days ago I was out on a road trip to Yakima, Washington, located approximately just east of Seattle on the other side at Mt. Rainier. The trip was to build hours up towards the commercial license, Currently i have something around 130 and I need 190 of which must 35 of those are on the mulit engine, still have a way to go.

But it's great, because there's plenty of time for such great trips! Starts with a picture of Kelso, which we passed on the trip north to Seattle

Posted Image

And for something around 40 minutes, we approached Toledo which is a bit south of Seattle, a touch and go here and went straight east to Yakima!

Posted Image

Mt St Helens is great to look at now that the snow which has eased slightly

Posted Image

St Helens and Mt. Hood in the background

Posted Image

Mt. Rainier outside of Seattle

Posted Image

VFR Chart

Posted Image

There were clouds on the way east, but only this lonely cloud

Posted Image

A cool little ice lake

Posted Image

Gilbert Peak at around 7600ft I think it was

Posted Image

Tieton State Airport 4S6

Posted Image

The forest becomes desert

Posted Image

Lined up with runway 9, Yakima

Posted Image

Short final

Posted Image

An Aero Commander was parked up there

Posted Image

And an MD-500

Posted Image

My plane for the day

Posted Image

Posted Image

A hawk, it was about one on every taxi signs, Maybe it was just too hot to fly at 37 degrees Celsius

Posted Image

Runway 9

Posted Image

Tilt Shift

Posted Image

Desert

Posted Image

Like the contrast between the green and desert

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mt Adams

Posted Image

A bad place for the engine to stop, too much forest where akkuratt

Posted Image

Flying over the Columbia River Gorge that divides Oregon and Washington. Approaching the Hood River Airport

Posted Image

Hood River with the airport to the right

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mt Adams

Posted Image

Was a very nice sunset, when we took off from Hood River to Portland and Hillsboro

Posted Image

Posted Image

St Helens

Posted Image [/ IMG]

The last we saw of the sun that day

Posted Image

A Delta 737 that flew slightly faster, but almost parallel to us on our way to PDX

Posted Image

Always cool to overfly PDX

Posted Image

Ends with a little atmospheric picture of Portland!

Posted Image

It was what I had for this time! See you later!

Tommy

Iain Emms    3,551

Well Tommy Thank you for posting these fantastic snaps of your trip ive really enjoyed looking at these, there is some amazing scenery to be seen here for sure and Good Luck to you mate on getting in those extra hours.

cheers

Iain

Rabbit33    6

Terrific photo journal...4S6 looks like a interesting approach. Was the tilt shift done post production or with a T/S lens?

Alex Goff    554

Wow! Stunning shots! The area around Yakima is incredible. Best of luck to you getting your commercial license, keep on sharing the photos :)

Thanks guys!

Rabbit33; The tilt shift effect has been added in Photoshop after, with the help og masking and lens blur effect

Helifan123    133

Those pictures are just stunnning, very awesome job ;)

And good luck, I hope you get your license so you can show us more pictures, I love them :D

Uberscrew    3

Thanks for posting these stunning pictures. Best of luck with the future and thanks for injecting some sun into a drab & wet British day...just like every other : )

marith    4

Awesome photos again Tommy. Thanks for posting and keep them coming as I really enjoy looking at them.

Sundog    10

Thanks for sharing your flights. The pictures were excellent. I may have to recreate this flight in FS with my Skycatcher.

I'll definitely be looking forward to future updates from you and good luck on building up those hours!

DocBird    66

I like these real world shots as I love to see these places in real life!

Keep on posting your perfect pictures!

mra    3

Please keep posting the shots of your travels. I have only recently started my first training flight. Guess Iv'e got a long way to go. Your photographs are an inspiration.

SGunard    8

Thanks for posting those amazing photo's. The shot of the snow covered Gilbert Peak makes me realise how good OrbX is! :)

Misha Cajic    279

Very good photos, loved looking at them. Love it how remarkably similar the orbx terrain looks.

maxter    0

Thanks a million Tommy for posting those incredible shots.

I only wish I could one day take pictures one tenth as good as those.

Cheers and thanks again for sharing, please don't let them be the last.

berg319k9    0

Amazing shots you're getting! I'm working on my CPL as well.......at least when I'm home in the US, I just work overseas too much. Good luck with those hours and keep posting these awesome shots out there in the PNW.

lnewqban    5

Incredible... it's one thing to see it in the sim, but it's a whole other thing to take a breath of fresh air and see this! :o

These are great for selecting REX textures, so thanks for posting! 8)

alex330    78

Fantastic real life pictures, thank you very much for sharing!

It's really interesting to see how ORBX scenery compares to real life (or vv?) - and once again one can see how good the scenery is ;)

Hope to see more shots in the future :)

Heliguy52    0

Absolutely incredible shots, Tommy!! You really outdid yourself this time!

Thanks so much for sharing such amazing and stunning photos with all of us.

Best regards.

John Lovell    746

These are outstanding and such an inspiration too!.. I have recently been taking up flying lessons and have 8 hours logged already and hoping to get my ppl. All because of Orbx giving me the inspiration to do it.

Seeing your shots just makes me wanna do it even more so.

Thanks for posting these!

sightseer    266

thank you for the shots. I always enjoy real life 'from the cockpit' shots...especially over areas I have scenery for. Orbx did a good job.

TracyQ    4

Fantastic screenies! What are your settings, and computer specs?

(Just kidding, of course, but it did take me looking at a few pictures before it dawned on me, LOL.)