Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Greetings all,

As you may have guessed from my username, I was originally the founder of Raptor Virtual Airlines based in Australia flying in FSX. That airline was founded in 2007 but closed early last year as the website hosting expired. Before then there had also been issues with operating clients which had caused a loss of pilots from 34 to 4. Just as I finally found a new stable system to use the funding went down and the airline was forced to close.

Since then I've been pondering starting again, though more likely than not under a new name which I have not been able to decide. Most likely the airline would fly a fleet of IAE engined A320s (Airbus X and Project Airbus models could be supported here) to holiday and charter destinations. The idea being that this carrier is not a traditional full service airline but a hybrid of the low cost (but not necessarily low fare) and charter airlines.

With the aircraft, some route examples (though not sure where to base it in Australia yet but either Melbourne or Brisbane could be good starting points), new knowledge in web design thanks to my university course and time available, I am curious if anyone would be interested in such a thing? I'm also asking to see if anyone believes I should re-start (again) Raptor Virtual Airlines or start afresh as (insert name here- Suggestions?).

---

In addition to the above, this new VA will feature 'Connect', a regional VA and training school used to prepare pilots for flight simulator operations particularly in the online ATC environment through the use of 20-30 seat regional turboprops (aircraft not yet decided).

This division will be separate from the main airline but pilots can fly for both. Direct entry will be possible for either of the two divisions depending on pilot preference. Staff roles will be available soon once the details are worked out.

'Connect' will allow for our VA pilots to fly low and slow around the outback or up high at Flight Level 380 in the advanced technology Airbus.

Thank you for your time.

The NGX is still being considered however it is unlikely considering the price for it is rather confronting for pilots who do not have the funds for it. Aero soft in contrast still offers VA pilots discounts on the already reasonably priced Airbus X which is one of the big influential factors.

That and whilst there are plenty of 737 models out there, few of them are compatible operationally with each other which complicates pilot training, integration with the ACARS system and the like. I'm aiming for a professional albeit open style VA that accepts pilots from all levels of experience (this is where Connects flight training scheme will be handy in evening the playing field so to speak if suitable instructors can be found).

Alright I've been thinking further and Brisbane Intl seems like a good place to base what is intended to be a 'holiday' airline with its close proximity to Cairns, Townsvile, Rockhampton, Norfolk Island, Hamilton Island, etc. Still haven't decided between Airbus or Boeing NBs, both could be possible but not very realistic for an airline. Still not sure on an airline name but something associated with the Ocean or local culture in the area. I may not have a name but a logo is partially formed in my mind of a stylised conch shell with colours taking their inspiration from the Air Australia scheme perhaps.

What does everyone think?

Whilst I don't have a name here's a logo of sorts that I've come up with for it. Obviously it's not a final stage as that wouldn't have solids but nice gradient shades and such.

CONCEPT LOGO CLICK HERE

It's supposed to be primarily a stylised sea shell but also could be interpreted as a leaf, a breaking wave, sails or even the design of the Sydney Opera House.

Well with exams now over, Semester 1 of University is complete so I have time to return to (one of) my hobbies. With the logo completed more or less I decided to try and match it to a paint scheme. Still no name for the airline yet and as such the livery is very much a WIP but here's some shots of what I have so far;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In trying to keep with the low-cost theme, I have a maximum of three colours that I can use. So far I've used two (the lime and the off-white) so that leaves a single final colour available to use either for text, trim decoration or other.

Probably going to go for billboard-style titles (but more stylish) with the web address on the rear fuselage and a phone number somewhere (maybe).

Let me know what you think, I'm still open for names!

Well I'm downloading the 800/900 NGX paint kit at the moment and I'll see about doing it up in the same partial scheme to see how it looks. Might be an idea for the airline to have an airbus and Boeing side for its fleet to cater for pilots of both types (even if that means sacrificing realism in the airline fleet itself).

All this just means more aircraft to figure out how to repaint! (Airbus X, Project Airbus A320, NGX, Default 737, posky 737, etc).

Due to popular request here's a PMDG 737-800NGX Winglet version of the WIP livery. There's been some interesting name suggestions so far but I'm still open to them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The NGX required a slightly altered livery to the Airbus X to better suit the airframe and also slightly adjusted the aspect ratio of the tail logo.

The airline probably will end up having both 737s and A320s so pilots can fly that which they prefer.

As I've been working on the NGX paint some more (and really loving it's paint kit) and thinking of some other possible name ideas for the airline. So far Wake, Breeze & Reach are names that sound appropriate for this kind of airline and are also fairly easy to remember. What are your opinions on these names and/or do you have any others that are of similar theme?

• 4 weeks later...

Alright it's been almost a month since my last update here but now I have something to show; the livery on the PMDG NGX 737-800WL now with 'reach' titles, aircraft type and registration decals. This repaint is pretty much finished now in my opinion other than a few possible slight adjustments.

It's a simple but clean livery which is what I was after to reflect an LCC correctly. Whilst doing this I also had the idea of a special livery with whole fuselage green and white titles which I may or may not do.

Feedback is most welcome.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

Alright I've been busy so haven't done all that much visible progress. Been working on a rough website template to match the livery based upon one of the freely available phpVMS linked templates. I haven't got anything of that to show yet as I'm still trying to sort out the drop down menus and colour palette. I don't have a web hosting or domain name yet for Reach Airways either so progress in that side will be slow.

I have however done another aircraft in the Reach livery, this time it is Digital Aviations beautiful Fokker F-100;

Posted Image

Posted Image

I rather like how the livery looks on this already nice looking bird. These would be a part of the optional fleet used for FIFO (Fly-in, Fly-out) operations to places like Mount Isa as well as for charter and commercial flights to locations where a 737 either cannot get in or is too big for the route.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it all helps. Imslowly starting to get a better understanding of layer modes, adjustment layers and alpha channels in photoshop for flightsim. I've also been very happy with these three paint kits so far; clear and easy to understand. The NGXs is in my opinion the best with its layers that describe what each texture is as well. Provides rulers that make transferring. The end result to the texture files so much easier.

Thanks for that link Michael, i'll have to have a look through that one in the morning. I've been using metro va and The free world airways websites mostly for inspiration (http://metroairvirtual.com/ & http://www.freeworld-airways.com/ ). I've always been a fan of no-nonsense websites that are sleek but clean and to the point. From the quick looki had that Thompson virtual one looks like another good one to seek inspiration from. That and sometimes looking at how someone else does their HTML and CSS helps you better understand how to do something more effectively.

Alright I've been busy so haven't done all that much visible progress. Been working on a rough website template to match the livery based upon one of the freely available phpVMS linked templates. I haven't got anything of that to show yet as I'm still trying to sort out the drop down menus and colour palette. I don't have a web hosting or domain name yet for Reach Airways either so progress in that side will be slow.

I have however done another aircraft in the Reach livery, this time it is Digital Aviations beautiful Fokker F-100;

Posted Image

Posted Image

I rather like how the livery looks on this already nice looking bird. These would be a part of the optional fleet used for FIFO (Fly-in, Fly-out) operations to places like Mount Isa as well as for charter and commercial flights to locations where a 737 either cannot get in or is too big for the route.

Is the Fokker pay ware or freeware??

The Fokker is the digital aviation model (pay ware) now available from flight1 since DA no longer exists. The aircraft does not have a VC (though one is still apparently in development) but its perfectly fly able with the 2D panels. I prefer using 2D panels in airliners anyway as I find them easier to work through with my lack of trackIR.

It may lack a VC but the level of detail on the exterior model and the sounds are nice. They look like the Alliance and Skywest fokkers Ive seen up close plenty of times.

• 1 month later...

Alright it's been a month since my last post. I've been busy with my University studies and as such haven't had terribly that much time to post updates. That said, there has been progress.

Most notable of all is that the VA now has a website; http://www.reachva.com

I'm still working on the website layout and design so it is very much a WIP at this stage. Many of the pages still need filling out but technically the airline is operational to a degree now.

I've also finalised my two PMDG skins for the 737-700 and 737-800 models and have now completed a repaint and extensive modification of the POSKY 738 model (including Alrots upgraded default 737 VC, better FDE, FMC, etc). Working on the -700 series before I'll be uploading these models and liveries to the site. Here is a screen of the POSKY 738;

Posted Image

And just for fun, here is the PMDG 737-700 which I did in a special inverted colours/all green livery;

Posted Image