Given the sale of my prefered supplier I face the issue that I run out of space on my SSD. And the sale is going on for some time...

I run FSX on my 120 GB SSD (btw: in the default location) under W7 Home Premium 64bit. The company that build the computer one year ago installed W7 on the SSD.

I use this computer exclusivly for FSX and two other sims (racing - that are installed on the HDD). After installing most of my add-ons (on the SSD) I face the situation that only less than 12 GB remain. That is not much, given the fact that I only have all NA scenery installed but not yet my three payware airports!

Do you think it would be a reasonable idea to transfer W7 (including all related stuff like virus scanner, etc) to the HDD (1 TB) and to have (only) FSX on the SSD? Or would this cause problems?

This would mean to

a) transfer all (down load add-on-)files from the HDD to a network computer (as back up),

B) format the HDD (and split it into two partitions),

c) install W7 new on the HDD (and make it the boot drive) and then

d) transfer all files back to HDD

e) format the SSD and

d) install FSX new on the SSD,

correct? Or does anyone see an easier way to do it.

Would it be possible to copy the complete FSX-folder (as is) to a backup location (to another computer in the network) and later transfer it (completely) back to the SSD after everything else was done?

That would save me a lot of time as I have dozens of add-ons with patches and tweaks installed...

I see that it might be necessary to not to copy it back to C:/FSX (C: is my SSD) since the correct path is used in certain parts of the "system" of FSX. However, would it be possible to use some empty dummy folders (C:/Windows/x86/Games/FSX) as to keep the current path? I would run W7 in another drive (I:).

Any of your thoughts are appreciated!

I run FSX on a 120GB SSD as well, but that SSD is dedicated to FSX. I run W7 and other software on another 80GB SSD. I also have large HDDs buit they are for media storage (movies, music, etc.) since my FSX computer is also my HTPC. Interestingly, the sale has significantly reduced my available space since I bought NRM and CRM (in addition to purchasing Vancouver V3)! I used to run FSX on the 80GB SSD and WIndows on a 40GB SSD but quickly ran out of room on both (Ultimate Traffic 2 alone takes a few GB out of your C:/ drive whether FSX is on your C:/ drive or not!). Whether you can just copy add-ons back and forth probably depends on the add-on and how it interacts with the registry. Some sceneries just make a scenery folder or a simobjects folder, while other have more complex installation behavior and executables. As for FSX itself, I would just re-install it, just because I like to re-install things every once in a while. ^-^

My FSX, Photoscenery for UK and Eire is on - and has spilled over the side of a 480GB SSD ::) I have a second FSX and all things ORBX on a 240, which is OK for now. Two W7's also have their own dedicated 80 GB SSD's. Well, at 68 what else do you spend your loot on ^-^

M.

I totally agree with shipdriver, every now and then, I just re-install everything. Not just FSX, everything. Once cleared of all the accumulated junk, you will be amazed at how fast your system can operate.

The only thing I generally do, is backup my Simobjects, Guages and Effects files and then copy them over my new installion. I do this because I don't have a problem re-installing my basic programs i.e. FSX, Acceleration, Orbx etc, but I do like to get my favourite aircraft installed easily.

I don't expect everybody (anybody) to agree with that approach, however when changing drives on which programs a re-installed, it might be time consuming, but it is effective.

Just watch a favourite TV show or even have a chat with your partner/spouse (builds up browny points) , go for a run in the park, get some exercise, take your dog for a walk etc etc you flightsim junkies ^-^

The only thing I generally do, is backup my Simobjects, Guages and Effects files and then copy them over my new installion. I do this because I don't have a problem re-installing my basic programs i.e. FSX, Acceleration, Orbx etc, but I do like to get my favourite aircraft installed easily.

Interesting: I only save a copy of the named folders and copy them back (and replace those files) once everything else is reinstalled? Or do I have to make any further adjustments? I use some aircraft that have gone through a significant improvement by several patches, updates and repaints. So it would save a lot of time if I could just copy and replace.

Yes, that is all I do, save a copy of the three folders and then paste them over the files in the new installation. I have done it many times and never had a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two ssd hard drives.. one 120gb drive where I originally installed FSX (c:). I soon saw that 120gb was not going to be enough space, so I added a 480gb hd (f:) I left the c drive with win7 and cut and pasted fsx to the new f drive. When I did my first download, it defaulted to my c drive. The installer did not give me an option on which drive to install the download. My question: is there a way to make the new f drive my default drive for downloading or must I wipe the f drive and do a clean install of fsx and the download?

I just bought a samsung F3 1TB 7600RPM, fastest mechanical drive out there. Hope to hook it up with intel SRT and use my 64 gb SSD as a cache.

You can get 10,000 rpm drives - google ! :)