iflygary

Has anyone tried the New Microsoft Flight?

iflygary    40

Just wondering how many have downloaded and tried the New Microsoft Flight yet? I was up til midnight last night with anticipation to download and try it out. IMO the scenery looks a bit too cartoonish and now it really looks like a "game" and not nearly as realistic. Also I just can't seem to push myself to break out the wallet and pay for "default" quality aircraft. I know it's still early in the game( no pun intended) however my inital reviews of it certainly are nothing to write home to mom about! :unsure: JMO

Dibidut    38

Hey JMO.

You are so right.

But there is really potential in it, I think of i.e. Kinect , touchscreen and windows 8.

I cant get my Logiteck G940 to work properly and I will not "play" with a mouse.

You said it, cartoonish and very default aircraft so there is a long way and I think John Vennema is right about 5+ years.

For now I stick to good old FSX .

(I will hope FSX will be compatible with Windows 8, so we could get Touch gauges and so on in the future).

Best regards

Henrik

Phil Manhart    62

I did the first two missions this morning, with my XBOX 360 Controller for Windows and enjoyed it.

I'm one the few who actually enjoyed the missions in FSX (when they worked right), and still do.

However, it will in no way replace FSX/P3D as my Flight Simulator, but will be a nice distraction from time to time. ;)

banjoman1960    44

have test it a few minutes,now i know wat i have with fsx and orbx and all the great addon-planes.................

for me flight is useless without all the addons............

edidt;

have deinstall that usless thing,i need my space for Orbx 8)

hope my system is now clean..........windows livePosted Image marketplacePosted Image and that ugly plane wat comes with flight :-[

i start now my ftx -sim

aujeffk    6

Installed it last night:

Pros:

• Very smooth on my system...silky smooth
  • lighting is very cool
  • Like menu smoother menu system
Cons:
  • Ground and Water Textures are not good
  • Feels like a game
  • The default plane (Icon?) seems to be going 140 kts instead of 70 kts on approach
  • prices for expansion is absurd
Summary: I may fly it a few more times, but I'm sticking to FSX until they make a commitment to the sim aspect of it.

Matthew Kane    256

I was a beta tester but haven't installed the released copy yet....Me thinks I am going to wait until MS Flight develops a little further as the Default Aircraft isn't challenging enough, feels too much like a game then a simulator at this point.

FSX, ORBX FTX NZSI, Carenado and REX is all I need to keep me very happy...Oh yeah and the NZNI when it is ready as I want to fly out of my hometown Wellington ;)

Cheers :D

bigsweede    12

Installed it last night:

Pros:

• Very smooth on my system...silky smooth
  • lighting is very cool
  • Like menu smoother menu system
Cons:
  • Ground and Water Textures are not good
  • Feels like a game
  • The default plane (Icon?) seems to be going 140 kts instead of 70 kts on approach
  • prices for expansion is absurd
Summary: I may fly it a few more times, but I'm sticking to FSX until they make a commitment to the sim aspect of it.

Agree with all above..

When turning of all game jingle Jangle and uncheck all help boxes i gets rather descent för a first version.

It got a lot of potential but my guess is that unindependent developers AND community needs tog get deeply involved to get this one to be

more of a simulator than a game.

Bought the expansion and the Maule... not bad but not good enough quality for that kind of money..

Rather long way to go before reaching Orbx Carenado eg standards

Need to check it out a bit more to before i retire it for a while to see what comes along the way..

At the moment i will probarbly go the P3D way all in with in a couple of months..

marshkop    0

Wouldnt even run on my system when I got the beta, didnt run it after that. Probably my ati card but didnt find out and thought it was a waist of time to try and figure it out. ( I already got enough trouble getting FSX to run the way I want.)

marith    4

I was thinking of trying out the demo but got put off by the fact you have to sign up to MS Live even if you're not going to purchase anything. I do not want an MS Live account unless I really, really have to.

So instead I bought some add-ons from my favourite 3rd party developers (Orbx for P3PD SBSL's and others for aircraft) and having a great time flying in Orbx scenery :).

rdg    2

I tried it and invested $20 for all the islands and the RV. The dynamic lighting is really nice. The ground textures are not as good as I had hoped. ORBX is much better. You just have to remember who the intended audience is. It is not for hard core simmers. There is just not enough tweaking nor the control of many aspects of MS FLIGHT to satisfy the hunger that we have. We are spoiled my friends and we have many people to thank for that :wub: I will watch it and see where it goes, but I have accepted the fact that it will never ever replace a serious flight sim. After about 2 hours of flying around, I fired up FSX and took a flight from KSEA to Jefferson..... Ahhhhhhhhhh

Bob

For me it's quite simple: I'll boycott it as long as it sticks to its formula of excluding third party development and I invite fellow simmers who care about all the 3rd parties (freeware and payware) have done for us and our hobby in the past to do the same; poor download stats is the way to vote against the poor decisions made by MS. Note that apart from that major issue, I also note that Track IR is not supported, toe braking with pedals neither and people have problems assigning additional axis on HOTAS... Really not something I'd like to support at that point.

IT SUCKS

Thanks for the informative post.

Actually, I'm quite enjoying it. I was a beta tester and am quite impressed by how nice it feels flying around, even if you are limited to one island in Hawaii for the free demo. I've ponied up and bought the expanded Hawaii area and had a ball last night flying around in inclement weather. The weather in Flight is REALLY good. The flight dynamics are really good. I'm not an Icon fan (I think it's a flying jetski, not a seaplane...), but it is surprisingly nice to fly around in. If you can be reasonable enough to sit through the tutorial missions and get into the free flight mode, you can have fun, and that's what it's all about really. This isn't FSX and won't be replacing FSX on my PC any time soon, but it is a very good sim nevertheless , especially if you can get over the prejudice against the "game" aspects, which after all FSX has as well...

Note that apart from that major issue, I also note that Track IR is not supported, toe braking with pedals neither and people have problems assigning additional axis on HOTAS... Really not something I'd like to support at that point.

I'm flying with a Saitek X52 HOTAS system plus rudder pedals with brakes and they work just fine... In fact, Flight recognises more of my controls inputs than FSX does. Can't comment on TrackIR though, I haven't tried my FreeTrack setup with flight yet.

Cheers,

Derek

FreeBird    80

Thanks for the informative post.

Actually, I'm quite enjoying it. I was a beta tester and am quite impressed by how nice it feels flying around, even if you are limited to one island in Hawaii for the free demo. I've ponied up and bought the expanded Hawaii area and had a ball last night flying around in inclement weather. The weather in Flight is REALLY good. The flight dynamics are really good. I'm not an Icon fan (I think it's a flying jetski, not a seaplane...), but it is surprisingly nice to fly around in. If you can be reasonable enough to sit through the tutorial missions and get into the free flight mode, you can have fun, and that's what it's all about really. This isn't FSX and won't be replacing FSX on my PC any time soon, but it is a very good sim nevertheless , especially if you can get over the prejudice against the "game" aspects, which after all FSX has as well...

I'm flying with a Saitek X52 HOTAS system plus rudder pedals with brakes and they work just fine... In fact, Flight recognises more of my controls inputs than FSX does. Can't comment on TrackIR though, I haven't tried my FreeTrack setup with flight yet.

Cheers,

Derek

Hi Derek

My phrase was just two words to make a point of how I felt. No disrespect just a personal opinion. There are things that are fun about it and I have flown it for quite a few hours. It just doesn't do it for me. I had lived in Hawaii for 35 yrs and was expecting more of the feel of Hawaii. Don't get me wrong some of the things they have done are remarkable but it seems that it is a infant and needs to grow abet . I will fly it some more and I hope they will fix some things but for now I will stick with FSX and all the Hawaii scenery that I have and have built.

Josh

Capnsully    36

For me it's quite simple: I'll boycott it as long as it sticks to its formula of excluding third party development and I invite fellow simmers who care about all the 3rd parties (freeware and payware) have done for us and our hobby in the past to do the same; poor download stats is the way to vote against the poor decisions made by MS. Note that apart from that major issue, I also note that Track IR is not supported, toe braking with pedals neither and people have problems assigning additional axis on HOTAS... Really not something I'd like to support at that point.

Totally agree, said as much in my blog post below. Orbx, P3D and xplane 10 have big futures thanks to those corporate goons. They really have no clue. I really wish JV was the CEO of a new flightsim (or maybe he is now ::) )

http://xplane10.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/xp10reviewsalmost-24hrs-of-ms-flight/

sammyflyboy    8

I play it with my CH yoke, throttles, and pedals, and I actually really enjoy it! it's no FSX, but if I want to just fly around in a Maule (which is actually highly detailed!), it is an awesome game.

Rob Abernathy    179

I'd like to try it but it asks for a 25 digit product ID first. Have no idea where this would be at. :-(

I love my ORBX, REX, and FSX combo, but I'd at least like to see it.

vovanych64    0

I'm flying with a Saitek X52 HOTAS system plus rudder pedals with brakes and they work just fine...

I have a pedals Saitek, but only works rudder in Flight , the brakes did not work. How do I get the brakes?

I have a pedals Saitek, but only works rudder in Flight , the brakes did not work. How do I get the brakes?

Ah sorry, my bad. The rudder pedals work just fine but the toe brakes in fact do not. No problem with any other axes on the controls though.

Cheers, apologies for my mistake.

Derek

dons99    1

Microsoft Flight flies like an arcade game. Ch Fighter stick and Saitek Pedals work. Track IR does not. Flight dynamics very poor compared to Addon aircraft such as Carenado, PMDG and KatanaX, or Do Do Sim 206. And the scenery does not come close to ORBX. I have them ALL. Much less the other major airports and cities from other third party developers such as Megascenery, UK2000, FSDT, Aerosoft etc etc.. The commercial addons for flying jets make simulation NOT A GAME. And for fun the VFR flying in the PNW is exceptional. NO , unless Microsoft can come up to par and surpass FSX while including third party developers (who make the simulation) I am not interested and will free up my disk drive by removing the demo. PS Oahu from Megasenery plus free addons and commercial airports available blows away anything Microsoft flight has for Hawaii. And I can fly my PMDG 737 between the islands for an ILS approach. Or do circuits at Dillingham in a Carenado 152 and see real world scenery.. And I am an Alberta boy originally , now living in Vancouver. I like to fly out of CYPK. Or from Orcas Island to the many ORBX airports. AND the free stuff for Claresholm and High River!!!!. Or a Westjet flight from Edmonton to Calgary and on to Vancouver. And a new CYVR is on the way to rival LAX. Flight cannot do that. Granted I am spoiled and as a retiree with time and funds I have every worth while commercial addon for FSX. Guys like the team from ORBX make simulation what it is with third party addons. FSX is only a good frame on which to hang things. AND Microsoft can still improve that framework if they chose. BUT until then- Give me FSX and the boys from ORBX for another five years. I will put my extra cash into bigger screens, faster computers and new hardware like yokes and pedals, or a 737 , 172 cockpit. Don Schlecker

ebgee    3

I've actually enjoyed messing around with Flight. I'll agree whole-heartedly that it is not to be confused with a flight simulator in any way. And anyone who even tries to compare it to FSX is going to be disappointed. It's a game... pure and simple... and for a free game, it's definitely got enough that comes with the basic package to keep someone entertained for quite awhile...and if it encourages younger generations to explore aviation and other, more realistic flight simulators, then I'm all for it. I might even spring for the rest of Hawaii... but I really can't see spending much more than that until/if the prices come down a little...

As for:

Spoken like a true Texan...... 8)

... this comment is just as useless, and 10x as offensive, as the post you're berating.

Cheers, Y'all

:wacko:

P.S. I'm glad I'm not the only one with no brakes... I hope they address that...

Alex Goff    554

If anyone wants to know how to change the settings through a more advanced method and get back some features from FSX, try this out.

C:\Users\<your_username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Flight\Flight.CFG

[GRAPHICS]

ShadowQuality=MAX

VisualEffectQuality=MAX

AntialiasingQuality=16

[Terrain]

LodRadius=6.500000

MeshComplexity=100

MeshResolution=22

TextureResolution=29

ReflectionQuality=MAX

[scenery]

ImageComplexity=EXTREMELY_DENSE

[Autogen]

AutogenDensity=EXTREMELY_DENSE

[Configuration]

Custom=-1

[sTARTUP]

DEMO=0

STARTUP_DEMO=0

[Traffic]

AirlineDensity=0

GADensity=100

RoadDensity=100

ShipsAndFerriesDensity=100

BoatDensity=100

IFROnly=False

AirportDensity=100

No guarantees on anything but I can feel the pulse of previous generations of MSFS beating down there

dogtrack    11

Horses for courses, but this horse aint for that course. Gave it 30 mins out of curiosity and then uninstalled it. Then cleaned up the 200+ redundant registry entries it left behind....sloppy programing.

Matthew Kane    256

As for:

... this comment is just as useless, and 10x as offensive, as the post you're berating.

Cheers, Y'all

P.S. I'm glad I'm not the only one with no brakes... I hope they address that...

Sorry but you didn't realize that I am a big big fan of Texas....Sometimes over the internet the comments don't sound like they were intended is all. Mine was not meant to come across as negative but that is the problem with the internet sometimes. Without body language the comments can be misread.....

I have a number of friends here in Wellington that are from Texas and we do go out for happy hour every week. We also go to Cricket matches and Rugby as well. Their is nothing more fun then teaching a girl from Texas the rules of Cricket and we have a lot of fun. But Texans do know their rugby and we love our rugby here.

I have an open invitation to go up to the South-by-Southwest music festival and we are working on that trip at the moment when I head back home for a visit. I am looking forward to it very much...

marshkop    0

I've actually enjoyed messing around with Flight. I'll agree whole-heartedly that it is not to be confused with a flight simulator in any way. And anyone who even tries to compare it to FSX is going to be disappointed. It's a game... pure and simple... and for a free game, it's definitely got enough that comes with the basic package to keep someone entertained for quite awhile...and if it encourages younger generations to explore aviation and other, more realistic flight simulators, then I'm all for it. I might even spring for the rest of Hawaii... but I really can't see spending much more than that until/if the prices come down a little...

As for:

Cheers, Y'all

I find your comment quite offensive, didnt you see the smiley face? That means he's teasing. Here is mine >:( I'm not teasing.

ebgee    3

Sorry but you didn't realize that I am a big big fan of Texas....Sometimes over the internet the comments don't sound like they were intended is all. Mine was not meant to come across as negative but that is the problem with the internet sometimes. Without body language the comments can be misread.....

I have a number of friends here in Wellington that are from Texas and we do go out for happy hour every week. We also go to Cricket matches and Rugby as well. Their is nothing more fun then teaching a girl from Texas the rules of Cricket and we have a lot of fun. But Texans do know their rugby and we love our rugby here.

I have an open invitation to go up to the South-by-Southwest music festival and we are working on that trip at the moment when I head back home for a visit. I am looking forward to it very much...

I that case, I sincerely apologize... I must admit that I was a bit stumped. I've worked with several Kiwi nurses over the past 20 years or so, and every one of them were super people who hardly ever had a negative comment to say about anything. We worked nights and several of us would get together after work at 7am, have a few drinks and discuss the merits of the Finn brothers... (my opinion, Neil is a musical genius... Tim is a bit weird). I think I may have been on edge after just getting off another phone call with incompetent customer service agents... So, again, I apologize for missing the subtlety behind your post. (BTW... it's been several years since I've been to SXSW. I think I need to make that trip again...)

I find your comment quite offensive, didnt you see the smiley face? That means he's teasing. Here is mine >:( I'm not teasing.

Whatever... Posted Image

Tim Harris    766

OK, I am sensing a familiar hostile tone descending on this thread, If you wish to discuss Flight then do so, but the personal attacks must stop.

Thank you,

Tim.

mra    3

Couldn't agree more Tim otherwise this will end up like the origional Avsim Flight forum. How tedious was that. I for one am sitting on the sideline waiting to see how Flight develops but in the meantime I will take to the FSX skies with Orbx and soon , we hope , a new weather engine from Rex Essentials. Please delete the last bit if out of order Moderators.

anfield ace    67

Hi Guys,

Downloaded game, and purchased Hawaii Islands add on! and enjoyed playing this as a game! (because thats what it is - Not a sim).

I really think this would have been better released as an X BoX 360 game! I think that microsoft might eventually do this!

Mal Walsh...

hebrew    1

This is what i think of Flight.

1. It look better than FSX,still needs work to make it a living world like in FSX.

2.It free and the engin is rock solid,no stutters.

3.The rest of the world to come.

4.I hope an sdk For frreeware and payware.

5.Payware that MS takes a cut of and get sold on the market places,so no more piracy,MS must get a cut it there sim and there sdk.

6.This can only get better,the rest will come atc,weather,MS said it will give the hardcore simmer also what they want so give it time.

That what i think and if not then we still got FSX and Orbx.

Dukester    2

I also have tried it and for what it is & what it's targeting it's pretty darn good in many ways.

Yep it's not a sim nor is it trying to be one so take it in that light and you can get a different perspective.

I will probably use it whenever I just want to have a blast around in a care-free way.

But I doubt I'll pay for anything yet for no other reason than FTX, REX using the FSX core is the sim that I choose to put my hard earned into.

One thing i would like to hear is if anyone else noticed 2 failings like I did:

1. Autogen trees still suffer with pop-up in the distance, oh how I hate that from FSX.

2. Even though it was very smooth I was still able to see what I would call micro-stutters. You have to look hard as they don't really effect the motion of flight but I reckon they are there. Wether they get worse as the game expands will be something I'll watch with interest.

Ian Routley    88

1. Autogen trees still suffer with pop-up in the distance, oh how I hate that from FSX.

2. Even though it was very smooth I was still able to see what I would call micro-stutters. You have to look hard as they don't really effect the motion of flight but I reckon they are there. Wether they get worse as the game expands will be something I'll watch with interest.

Flinty, I suspect you are onto something there.

The autogen "popping" is largely because of a smallish LOD_Radius setting. Have you tried Alex's suggestions above?

Bringing the detail levels up to what we have come to expect in FSX, diminishes the performance quite a bit it would seem.

Be interested to see what others get with expanded flight.cfg settings (being a minimalist non fsx.cfg tweaker, I find it surprising to hear myself suggesting this!)

dbrucem    0

I had the same issue with the product code untill I enabled cookies on my web browser. I downloaded the Stearman and played around a little. I don't think I will be spending any cash or too much time with it. Too much invested in FSX and Orbx.

Kilstorm    274

Microsoft Flight, lets get to it. First thing is that it is available via download which gets a thumbs up from me because it is green and environmentally safe. I'm just buying or leasing a series of 0's and 1's so no need to pollute the planet with left over cardboard and plastic. Downloadable continent or (DLC) does have a downside to the economy though as it removes the shop owner and their employees from the mix.

To speak about the DLC of MSF, this is something I have been wanting for a long time as a FS user. A core platform where pieces could be added and upgraded over time without having to start all over with a new platform every two or three years. Nothing more annoying and costly than having to start over with re-buying addons and waiting on patches to make those addons work in the new platform. Also the DLC should allow for instant bug fixes and updates instead of having to wait for a service pack to fix things. The only negative so far about this is that all addons are from MS and there is no third party developers addons. So in a way I feel like I am just buying default as I dont see Microsoft Game Studio or MGS as addon developers but rather the core developer.

One thing that I was not willing to give MSF as any space on my SSD hard drive. My sim computer is for flight simming and not games. I fought for the longest time to not install adobe reader on it just to give an idea of how much I dont care to bloat my computer with anything that is not absolutely needed in order to make FSX and my FSX addons work. So I first tried by downloading and installing MSF onto my Western Digital external Harddrive connected to my netbook and then taking that HD and connecting it to my sim computer.

This did not work for two reasons. One the drive on my netbook is seen as D and on my sim computer its E. Also MSF puts a few added files into your computer like mfc100u.dll as just one example. So I re-downloaded it to my external drive this time connected to my sim computer through my USB 3.0 port.

Getting MSF downloaded and installed. The download went easy but the install to get the Stearman took effort. I had to obtain a product ID number that I never really found and although I had already signed up for a Games Live ID account still had more things I needed to sign up for to get the Product ID. In the end, I feel the use of this windows Live is worth the effort if you use the software often and plan on enjoying online play but I was a bit annoyed in feeling like I have to sign up and sign in to what seemed to be more than one thing just to advance this stage.

I was then presented with the main menu and the different tabs to select the different options I have. I have nothing negative to say about this main menu. Easy to navigate, simple to use, effective and not confusing in any way. I went to the graphics and set everything on the highest settings I could. Everything was already set on High so I felt I was off to a good start with my rig and getting max settings. So I just bumped everything up one notch except two items that were already set at the highest setting.

I was then ready to start flying to burn through the two mandatory flights I had to do in the Icon so that I could get to free flight mode with the Stearman. This was not easy because I could not control the plane with my yoke or joystick. The plane wanting to go nose up. I switched to mouse control and saw a window show that the mouse was consistently struggling with one of my controllers to read which input I was trying to use. This was not a good start nor was it making me any bit happier giving this game a chance.

I made it through the two flights surprisingly but was completely disappointed in MSF so far. I spent hours trying to configure the controls and no matter what, there was something that kept reading an input that made flying or walking impossible and uncontrollable. Most of the time was waiting for the game to load after I made a settings change. Another aspect was how I could not unassign an axis. It took some time but I found by first assigning it a button command I could then clear the button command thus removing the pre-assigned axises settings.

I went through every controller and removed all the assignments leaving just one joystick assigned. My set up I have a Joystick, a yoke, a throttle quad and pedals. All listed in the MSF controllers however, it did not list my USB key starter which turned out to be the issue. It assigned trim up to the position the key was in thus giving me this headache. With the limited options of not being able to disable joysticks altogether, no way to set sensitivities and no way to add or remove controllers, there is nothing good to say about this aspect of MSF.

Now after I dont know how many attempts at getting my first flight in and who knows how many hours...(3?) at setting up the controllers I was finally ready to check out MSF.

First off is the aircraft viewing screen. Brilliant. This is such an improvement to looking at the plane, having the option to change repaints and load the plane with fuel all in one screen. I could only imagine how nice an A2A plane would look in this view as the camera scrolls around the plane.

The game options was the next thing I looked at. Nicely done again. I noticed you can use Bing to look at the maps..wonder if the map provider I prefer to use, Google maps, will be allowed? So now that is two items MS is trying to capture from users weaved into MSF, a hotmail account for your emails with the Live login and the choice of map & search engine provider...the suites must be happy about this. When I clicked on the option to learn more using Bing, I got an Internet Explorer web browser even though I have Firefox set as my web browser so now add IE to the mix and now MSF offers 3 outlets for cross platforms of marketing and shares grab...Hotmail, Bing and IE. Someone is getting a bonus this year.

So Im not interested in the aerocaching as a user but the missions and job board games are interesting..except this is a game and I need to unlock them. If I unlock them by chance I will try them out but I have no care to play flying in this way. With all that said, I feel the game aspect of these options are nicely done and should be well received by the true target market for these features. I especially like the job board feature. I can easily see it as a gateway to recruit new members to FSEconomy.com since this is very similar.

Multiplayer looks great. The ease of use and design to this is top notch and you are going to want to use MP since the sim has no other interactions with any type of AI or ATC at the moment. I read that as MP users you can switch planes by just getting out of yours and walking to another users plane who has gotten out of his and both users can switch planes. Very cool. How great would it be able to do that in FSX with all the different AI planes parked at an airport.? Maybe this will be what becomes of this feature in MSF.

The Map and Airport info is also nicely done with ease of use. Not sure exactly how easy it will be once bigger areas are added to MSF but for now it is a nice touch.

Weather, I like real weather and am not a fan of preloaded weather but this is a game so the weather themes are nice and have a good amount of different types to choose from except any winter themes. Hawaii doesnt get snow so no need now but if MSF is going to do any places that do get snow, we have yet to see how the snow will be in the air and on the ground.

Pilot stats are a nice touch. With not TC enabled and crash detection on all the time, the stats seems to be a level playing field. How this info can later be used is to be seen but I know many addons in FS9 and X that could use this kind of feed.

Live market place..oh yes the whole heart and soul of how to determine the success of MSF and the new DLC. Honestly, if third party developers were on board with MS they would really benefit from the exposure to this ease of use, no worry of getting a computer virus, easy transaction new store front. However, right now they are not and so I have really no care to visit this market place because all I want from MSF is free hand outs. Its a game and I am a simmer so my money is not needed here.

Which brings me to my first flight. I want to say, that when I first heard about MSF I was a strong backer that MSF would be a lot smoother, offer more eye candy and make more use of todays hardware without needing top of the line hardware or of the future to run it well. I was right. MGS got it right and the graphics and smoothness are awesome. Remember I'm running this from an external harddrive via a USB 3.0 connection at max settings and it is a dream. In addition the lighting is what I had hoped for and the weather, sounds and head effects.. all tie into make a great first impression.

Then theres the plane modeling. Not impressed. If I cant have addon planes in MSF from third party developers then MGS better deliver on the planes and while the details of the texturing are nice and it looks great, I'm not seeing no needles that vibrate, The compass is not on 3 point axis, the Stearman does not idle rough at low manifold pressure or do I worry about fouling the spark plugs. Temp heat means nothing so while the plane looks nice, if this is the best we can expect with the lack of addon developers like A2A then I have no care to buy any plane from MGS.

The air files of the plane however are nice as to how the plane interacts with the weather and environment. Take in consideration this is the Stearman and I have no idea about the Icon since I was having control issues when I had to fly it and now that I dont have to fly it, wont probably ever know.

Scenery. Its great for default but the thing is there is no such thing as addon scenery since what you can buy is more default and with no other scenery developers out there to provide additional addon scenery to it, what you see is the best you might get. That said, the scenery is nothing more than nice default. I only have the big island to look at so I have little knowledge to what the other islands offer but also have no care to buy it to find out based on the scenery it comes with. For a game its great, love the extra autogen, the moving trees, the water and better airport details but there is no way it compares to what a scenery developer like Orbx, FSDreamTeam or FlyTampa could offer.

Crashing. This is a huge let down from a game perspective. If I was a gamer who was use to seeing damage, let it be in car racing games or shooter games, I would certainly expect to see damage to a plane when it hits the ground or an object. Instead you see an indestructible plane tumble and tumble and tumble until it comes to a resting stop and you see a window saying you crashed yet your plane is fully intact. Not cool for a game. Understandable for a sim that is about flying but this is a game and gamers are the target market so its lame.

HUD. Its nice and adds a touch of game style look to the mix. I turned it off but how it works and the info it shows is nice.

The lack of life and the surrounding environment is something that will make the novelty of MSF wear off quick in free flight I feel. Its a good thing there are missions, aerocaching and challenges to keep one busy in Flight but the world is dead and a ghost town without AI and ATC among other things.

In Flight we now have the ability to not be the plane and explore around as a person. This is something I have longed for in flight sims. Especially with all the great scenery addons to explore in. This is a great feature.

Keyboard commands are a bit foreign to me. I know you an reprogram the key commands but I keep trying to push the P key to pause the game as just one go to example. Since none of my Go-Flight modules work I am using the keyboard way more than normal. Which brings me to my next point about hardware. Ok I get MGS wants to try and hold the marketplace on addons but couldnt they have least worked with HeadTracker and Go-Flight to allow more hardware to work with MSF upon its release?

So to start wrapping up my review and impressions of MSF, must give a huge Kudos to the MSG developers who made MSF. I know its not FS11 which I was baited and switched into believing it was going to be but they really did develop a very smooth running and nicely featured game around flying.

As for the marketing department behind MSF, well MS is a business and they are there to try and capture as much of a market place as they can. I do feel betrayed into believing it was going to be equally geared towards simming as game play and with the feeling the hardcore simmers and addon developers were going to be part of it but it seems not to be the case. We can only see what will become of MSF but without third party developers in the mix, I really see no use of MSF to me. However, it does give me hope that FSX and P3D still have plenty of room to grow since MSF is based off of the FSX engine in many parts.

So in closing what do I think of MSF now that I've tried it? Well let me just say I really really wanted to hate it. I still do because of the fact that MS has closed out third party developers, feel they have used MSF as a marketing tool for bing, ie and hotmail in a way to grab more users and because they are wasting a great engine on a game but in the end, thats all it is, is just a game so in that fact its got a lot of promise and runs goods for what it is.

Matthew Kane    256

Here is one way of looking at it. When we install FSX what do we do with it:

We replace the AI traffic with another AI traffic

We replace or modify the ATC

We replace the Weather with another Weather planner/generator

We replace the default aircraft with other aircraft including the AutoPilot and GPS

We replace the scenery

Basically we replace the majority of it

So what Microsoft has done is replaced everything we weren't using in FSX anyways. No AI Traffic (We were not using theirs anyways), No ATC, No Real World Weather, No Jets or Helicopters either, all new default aircraft with no Autopilot or GPS, and new(ish) scenery in one region only. Lets face it, we weren't using their scenery as well.

So this is MS Flight, A game that got rid of everything that we were replacing in FSX anyways.

I think it is too soon to see where they take it. From the looks of it MS Flight is still capable of all those things, An AI Traffic Module, ATC, Real World Weather, New aircraft (hopefully Jets and Helicopters). Over time perhaps they will release content for all this.

But like FSX, MS Flight is new and it took 2 years for FSX to mature into a Simulator with new content that became available, In the beginning FSX was just default as well. FSX was released in 2006, Here we are in 2012 still waiting for developers to release new content for it. Time will see where MS Flight will end up.

Charlie P.    1

I love how in order to actually have the ability to fly around the entire area of hawai and use 2 default aircraft you'd have to pay right around $40...what a joke LOL!! You have to completely rely and trust in their ability and desire to develop any part of this Game. They have never been great at developing addons for anything, and I truly think that this is quickly going to fizzle out and become a lost cause. I will simply not waste my time on such nonsense. Those that are "enjoying" it, more power to you, have fun. Everybody has their own likes/dislikes. O0

Tgenius    0

Here is one way of looking at it. When we install FSX what do we do with it:

We replace the AI traffic with another AI traffic

We replace or modify the ATC

We replace the Weather with another Weather planner/generator

We replace the default aircraft with other aircraft including the AutoPilot and GPS

We replace the scenery

Basically we replace the majority of it

So what Microsoft has done is replaced everything we weren't using in FSX anyways. No AI Traffic (We were not using theirs anyways), No ATC, No Real World Weather, No Jets or Helicopters either, all new default aircraft with no Autopilot or GPS, and new(ish) scenery in one region only. Lets face it, we weren't using their scenery as well.

So this is MS Flight, A game that got rid of everything that we were replacing in FSX anyways.

I think it is too soon to see where they take it. From the looks of it MS Flight is still capable of all those things, An AI Traffic Module, ATC, Real World Weather, New aircraft (hopefully Jets and Helicopters). Over time perhaps they will release content for all this.

But like FSX, MS Flight is new and it took 2 years for FSX to mature into a Simulator with new content that became available, In the beginning FSX was just default as well. FSX was released in 2006, Here we are in 2012 still waiting for developers to release new content for it. Time will see where MS Flight will end up.

While that may be true, what is also true is MS is cornering the Flight market in their favor and completely ignoring the community element of modding. A lot of the replacement addons you mentioned have free improvements that the community made. There wont be any of that in Flight.

Matthew Kane    256

While that may be true, what is also true is MS is cornering the Flight market in their favor and completely ignoring the community element of modding. A lot of the replacement addons you mentioned have free improvements that the community made. There wont be any of that in Flight.

I wouldn't say that Flight won't go in that direction. What is going on here is this is Flight version 1.0. They can go from there how they choose.

What they have is a simulator in an isolated region with a few aircraft. From their they will add more aircraft and scenery regions. This is a one step at a time approach compared to the MSFS Franchise. In my opinion this is the best approach to a new Flight Simulator. FSX is a beast so they tamed the beast with MS Flight is all.

Time will tell and 1 or 2 years from now it may become Flight version 2.13759 with a few regions, more aircraft, weather system, ATC......Who knows. From looking at the file structure their are similarities to FSX so the sky is the limit....For the team that developed it this is a better approach as they can now build a solid core out of what they have right now, compared to what they had with FSX.

Cheers