Sign in to follow this  
rockliffe

Hotas Warthog Video Overview

rockliffe    362

Hi guys, I've just finished a short video looking at all the switch assignment possibilities with the Hotas Warthog. I hope those who may be considering the purchase of this controller will find it helpful and also those who question why so many of us insist on flying the NGX with this great piece of hardware. EDIT: 48 assignment possibilities!

[media]http://youtu.be/P-4SKr41mLM

rockliffe    362

Hi Phil, no there is no sensitivity setting with the Warthog. When you move the stick a millimetre, then the aircraft stick in the VC will also move a millimetre too! One thing I forgot to mention in the vid is that the default pressure with the stick is very firm and I have customised the pressure by removing the big spring inside the casing. I now have it exactly how I like.

deverette    5

Hi Phil, no there is no sensitivity setting with the Warthog. When you move the stick a millimetre, then the aircraft stick in the VC will also move a millimetre too! One thing I forgot to mention in the vid is that the default pressure with the stick is very firm and I have customised the pressure by removing the big spring inside the casing. I now have it exactly how I like.

Howard,

How much of a reduction in force pressure do you encounter by removing the spring? I've been toying with the idea of popping mine open and removing the spring as well. The stick just feels a bit too stiff for me.

Thanks,

rockliffe    362

Howard,

How much of a reduction in force pressure do you encounter by removing the spring? I've been toying with the idea of popping mine open and removing the spring as well. The stick just feels a bit too stiff for me.

Thanks,

Hi Dan, the pressure is removed significantly. However, I managed to find some slightly stronger springs off Ebay than the 4 default ones. It is now perfect. If you simply use the 4 Warthog springs then the pressure is slightly more than with say, the Saitek X52 pro. IMO it is far better to remove the big spring, but of course this will be down to personal preference. Why not try it Dan, you can always pop the spring back in if you don't like it. Here's a link to a video that shows what is involved, it's a very easy procedure.

http://youtu.be/aBMBR8M0z2E

wolfko    131

A very informative video Howard. Thanks a lot for putting it together.

BTW - a very nice set up you have got there!

Wolfgang

rockliffe    362

A very informative video Howard. Thanks a lot for putting it together.

BTW - a very nice set up you have got there!

Wolfgang

Thanks matey...

Dibidut    38

Hey Howard.

Looking very nice & solid to.

I use Logiteck g940.

(I have to ask you) Do you think I could use my Logiteck pedals (they are attackt to the joystick, with a VGA stick),

or do I have to buy a new fx. Saitek ??

Good video, tanks.

Henrik

rockliffe    362

Hi Henrik, I would have thought if they have a separate USB lead that allows them to be plugged directly into a USB socket then they would be fine. If they are directly connected to the stick and are somehow integrated, I would so that it was unlikely.

alan2    180

Thanks Howard , of interest here. I have been contemplating the Warthog for some time , the drawback being cost .

An interesting visual setup which certainly has a lot of value for the sim along with all those switches !

Good to see ya

rockliffe    362

Thanks Howard , of interest here. I have been contemplating the Warthog for some time , the drawback being cost .

An interesting visual setup which certainly has a lot of value for the sim along with all those switches !

Good to see ya

Hi Al, sure, I know the cost is a little strong but I guess it's the old adage... you get what you pay for! BTW £263 on Amazon.co.uk

deverette    5

Just gave it a shot. Put it back as it was. I think you went the correct route and got different springs. I'll likely order some replacement springs that are stiffer. It was just too loose with the stock springs.

On a side note, not sure why he removed the base. It's an unnecessary step.

Oh well.. Worth the 10 minutes at least trying it out (and got to play with my new electric screwdriver :)

ryanbatc    140

Cool video. You mentioned your Saitek pedals not working with the brake command. I had the same problem at first but once I RTFM (the small one that came with it) it explained exactly how to set up the pedals in FSX and that made all the difference. Maybe that would help.