Eric C

Flying Wild Alaska Inspired Question

Hey guys, just finally came around to watching the Discovery Channel's show "Flying Wild Alaska" and like the locations and Bush flying in the show. Was wondering if any one has Flight 1's Ultimate Alaska and if they recommend it or not? Also, any plans of Orbx working on the Northern Alaska region in the future, and any issues with Ultimate Alaska if I have Tongass Fjords and Pacific Fjords installed already? Thanks guys and gals and happy holidays! :)

I believe that Holger said that SouthCentral Alaska will be done and probably wont be out until at least next christmas. My guess. I know that release dates are elluvial. My question is ' What about northern BC witch will be gapped with no Orbx textures'.

Hi guys,

sorry, no plans at the moment for Northern Alaska but that doesn't mean it won't happen. Ultimate Alaska can be installed after Tongass and FTX without problems; just remember to temporarily set FTX Central to "Default FSX" for the UTX installation and also to re-run the Tongass X configurator after installing UTX.

Not sure where the quote of "... won't be out until at least next Christmas" for Southern AK comes from but that's not our plan; we're aiming for release in the second quarter of 2012. Also, there will be no spatial gap in Canada between SAK and PFJ though Tongass X will be required to avoid a gap in southeastern Alaska.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Eric,

Yes, it was that program, shown in NZ lately that got me really interested in flying Alaska. I will wait for the Orbx products however, but the documentary was excellent wasn't it.

regards,

Jim.

Also, there will be no spatial gap in Canada between SAK and PFJ though Tongass X will be required to avoid a gap in southeastern Alaska.

Cheers, Holger

HJey Holger,

Merry Christamas!

Just a question if I may abbout your Alaska plans....sounds like the area will continue from where Tongass Fjords ends (just above Sitka) and extend almost to somewhere south of Denali. Of course, this is just me reading between the lines....

Would you care to let us know what the actual coverage area will be?

I have and love UT Alaska, and am overjoyed to hear that SAK release is projected so soon, this is my most awaited ORBX scenery. UT alaska has actually claimed nearly as much of my flying time as ORBX's scenerys have, even though they aren't really the same animal. UT alaska has a few omissions, it doesn't include textures, or vegetative landclass; and the Airports have been corrected and improved over default FSX, but not nearly to ORBX default level.

Which leads me to my one question, I could certainly understand why a full ORBX product to cover far northern and western Alaska would be a hard sell, nobody really lives there to any great degree, and the landscape, aside from the Brooks range, is not as spectacular as southeastern and south central Alaska and Denali. UTX Alaska does get us most of the way there though, and a simple pack with dedicated Alaska textures and a reasonably Accurate vegetative landclass might be all we would need for those areas in Alaska where it might not make sense to develop a full product (Although ORBX Gates of the Arctic has a nice ring to it) might there be any thought to a "lite" region of that type?

Hi guys,

below is a Google Maps screenshot of the planned coverage area of Southern Alaska. As you can see the name "Southern Alaska" is a bit misleading because a good chunk of the area is actually in northwestern BC and southern Yukon Territory. I couldn't think of a better (short) name though so SAK it is. Also, while it may not look that big it's more than half a million sq km (~200,000 sq mi), which is almost twice the size of Pacific Fjords and six times the size of Tongass Fjords X.

Shawn, I actually don't think that any Alaska product of ours would not sell well, it's really just a matter of getting it done right. Having appropriate textures and autogen alone isn't sufficient (nor easy), they need to be placed in the correct locations and there's no other way of doing that but manually, sq km by sq km (almost all available land cover data are based on semi-automated classification of satellite imagery with loads of errors of comission and omission). Any kind of manual work, however, has basically no economies of scale, which means we can't tackle anything much bigger than the other NA regions. In other words, what you suggest as a "simple pack" is actually the hard part 8)

Cheers, Holger

post-375-0-51133400-1324750264_thumb.jpg

Hi guys,

sorry, no plans at the moment for Northern Alaska but that doesn't mean it won't happen. Ultimate Alaska can be installed after Tongass and FTX without problems; just remember to temporarily set FTX Central to "Default FSX" for the UTX installation and also to re-run the Tongass X configurator after installing UTX.

Not sure where the quote of "... won't be out until at least next Christmas" for Southern AK comes from but that's not our plan; we're aiming for release in the second quarter of 2012. Also, there will be no spatial gap in Canada between SAK and PFJ though Tongass X will be required to avoid a gap in southeastern Alaska.

Cheers, Holger

A lot of great info in this post. Thanks Holger for this post and for the map below. Once SAK is out, UT Alaska will be coming off my hard drive. I just dont fly too much north or west of what SAK will be.

Still discovering NZSI, and Holger goes and gets me all excited again. The one thing I've missed about FS9 was Holger's Glacier Bay scenery. UTX Alaska has been an acceptable substitute... but it looks like SAK will take Glacier Bay and go several steps further... too cool!

Great info and thanks Holger for the reply, I could see how all of Alaska would not sell well but wanted to know what was being planned. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the southern region release next year!

I had heard over at AVSIM that you (Holger) and Jon Patch were working on Glacier Bay for FSX (the freeware FS9 was and still is awesome). Is this true or is it totally an ORBX endevor? (great grammar huh?)

This is awsome! I can't wait. And it appears the people waiting line to purchase is growing fast. I have no doubt that this will be a huge success particullary with Holger's great touch and attention to detail. Keep it coming Orbx!

MK

If Orbx did western Alaska and a few of the hubs run by Era Alaska (and the more interesting airfields linked to these hubs) I don't think I would be able to resist.

+1, but would be nice to see how many people would be willing to purchase it especially after seeing the awesome series Flying Wild Alaska. :)

I can't see why it wouldn't be a success given the popularity of the series, and it would offer the chance to recreate some of those amazing flights. Patience is a virtue.. perhaps after SAK is release ;-)

There are already a lot of Era hubs in this area, they don't have to be going to Unalakleet to be popular. If you guys need source material for the Kenai Peninsula, let me know. I live here and have a DLSR (5D MKII). Would love to see this area done right!

Hi guys,

Cheers, Holger

For any that have not purchased Tongass, go and do it! It was my first large scenery purchase many years ago, and it's still one of my favorite areas to fly in. The floatplane ai traffic and boat traffic make the place come alive. There are so many little towns that have photoreal textures that make it a very unique scenery. Sitka is a great standalone payware airport that is included.

For any that have not purchased Tongass, go and do it! It was my first large scenery purchase many years ago, and it's still one of my favorite areas to fly in. The floatplane ai traffic and boat traffic make the place come alive. There are so many little towns that have photoreal textures that make it a very unique scenery. Sitka is a great standalone payware airport that is included.

Hmm... I'm thinking about getting this Tongass Fjords now to go with all my Orbx NA regions. Is it a straight forward easy install like my Orbx scenery which basically self installs? or is it more involved? Computers have it out for me.

Hmm... I'm thinking about getting this Tongass Fjords now to go with all my Orbx NA regions. Is it a straight forward easy install like my Orbx scenery which basically self installs? or is it more involved? Computers have it out for me.

Hey T-Bone, easy install just like the Orbx installs, and you'll love Tongass Fjords. Load up that seaplane, haha :)

I purchased and installed Tongass Fjords after all of the Orbx NA regions. Simple, straightforward install - no problems.

Oh, wait - one problem! I can't for the life of me understand why I waited so long. Having quality places to fly GA aircraft both north and south of PAKT is wonderful. And when southern AK is released? Man... Buy it. I can't imagine you'll regret the purchase.

Scott

I finally got around to picking up Tongass Fjords and do some flying tonite. You guys were right, easy install and no regrets as I love it! I finally have an excuse to fly the Seaplanes now. Not that I couldn't before, but there are lots of opportunities to do so here. I had forgotten that I have about 10 different Amphibs/Seaplanes to fly.

I finally got around to picking up Tongass Fjords and do some flying tonite. You guys were right, easy install and no regrets as I love it! I finally have an excuse to fly the Seaplanes now. Not that I couldn't before, but there are lots of opportunities to do so here. I had forgotten that I have about 10 different Amphibs/Seaplanes to fly.

Great to hear your enjoying Tongass Fjords T-Bone, beautiful scenery and area to fly as always :)

Thanks Alex. Now i can fly a plane into the supermarket there.....Won't sell me cigarettes cause i'm a "furriner" :)......HMMM, time for payback....:(