Shade - a comparison

You won't regret, Eddy.

As I can't use ENBseries, (frankly, I have lost the proper d3d9.dll), this one is a good substitue.

BTW - could someone give me a linkt to the proper ENB files and a good enbseries.ini? :-)

I've posted my ini over here http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/36738-shading-away/ It's a very subtle change, nothing overdone and it works well with Shade.

The ENB files you can get here : http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/20084-johns-enb-series-ini-file/

Thanks guys !

The changes are not overdone, that's correct Rich. I am always trying to make the sim look quite natural so i am happy with more 'believable' colors.

Heiko,

thanks for your assistance. They both work together flawlessly.

The ENBseries.ini you pointed me to, what is the shade perset you are using it with? Day1_darker?

Right now i am trying with each flight another one, nothing set in stone yet ^_^ . Of course every monitor shows it different, so you might play with the DarkeningAmountDay= value. Something between 1 and 10 should work depending on the brightness of the preset. Marks Final which Iain is using now can use a tad more ENB darkening i think.

Just had a morning Spring flight using 'Endless summer' and DarkeningAmountDay=1 with the Dynamic - that was really nice 8) .

As I can't use ENBseries, (frankly, I have lost the proper d3d9.dll), this one is a good substitue.

BTW - could someone give me a linkt to the proper ENB files and a good enbseries.ini? :-)

Shad actually comes with a "freebie" ENB ini file... I'm using it and it seems to work very nicely!

Thanks so much for the comparison Heiko, and especially for providing the zip file. It has been extremely useful in teasing out the subtle differences between the presets. It's just about impossible trying to assess the differences by loading a setting in Shade, opening FSX, looking, going back to Shade, loading the next, and so on.

Now THAT is just darned helpful! Thanks so much for that!

@Howard. It just changes textures and then un-changes them when you exit FSX. Nothing is running (besides a tiny monitor program to watch for when FSX quits) while you are in the game, and there is no FPS hit (can't be because of what it does) and nothing to bugger up anything. You should install and enjoy since you already have it! :-)

Nice work with the compare Heiko. I especially appreciate the effort in blending ENB and offering your INI to those of us that are not as keen or skilled on tweaking.

Open question to anyone here but how safe is the ENB series to install and "try" and subsequently remove should you decide you are not happy?

Charles.

Open question to anyone here but how safe is the ENB series to install and "try" and subsequently remove should you decide you are not happy?

Very easy. It's not even something you really "install" so to speak. It is just a smal .ini and .dll file that you place in your main FSX folder. The .ini file is the one where you can change the settings via notepad. If you want to install JV's or Heiko's settings for ENB for instance, you just backup the original .ini and copy/paste the whole contents of their settings into the enbseries.ini file replacing the original text.

If you don't like the mod, simply remove the .dll and .ini file.

Very easy. It's not even something you really "install" so to speak. It is just a smal .ini and .dll file that you place in your main FSX folder. The .ini file is the one where you can change the settings via notepad. If you want to install JV's or Heiko's settings for ENB for instance, you just backup the original .ini and copy/paste the whole contents of their settings into the enbseries.ini file replacing the original text.

If you don't like the mod, simply remove the .dll and .ini file.

Thanks! Is the DLL an existing one that should be backed up first? I though that ENB was some kind of DLL wrapper/faked out replacement of default one in FSX.

C.

C.,

Just download these zip files that Heiko posted here: http://www.orbxsyste...eries-ini-file/

Just drop both files in your FSX "Root Directory", and your good to go. If you don't like and wish to revert just delete both files or pull them out.

They "Don't" replace any previous FSX files.

Hope this clears this up for you.

You need both the d3d & cfg files. :)

C.,

Just download this zip that Heiko posted here: http://www.orbxsyste...eries-ini-file/

Just drop both files in your FSX "Root Directory", and your good to go. If you don't like and wish to revert just delete both files or pull them out.

Then "Don't" replace any previous FSX files.

Hope this clears this up for you.

*taps fingertips together*

Eeeexceellleeent. 8)

Yeah, no danger with that one - just paste in or remove. You can enable and disable the effect with F12 while you are flying. It just doesn't work with a multiple monitor setup and full-screen (windowed works). No problems with single monitor.

Cool now I am trying your INI file with Endless Summer (I think that was your current favorite combo) and I await your ultimate combo pack. You seem to have an eye for this stuff. My I would have purple clouds and yellow snow before I gave up in discust. :)

Light blue rain and clean white sunsets are also great. You can always adjust the darkening of your ENB effect in the ini

[colorCORRECTION]

DarkeningAmountDay=1

Depending on your monitor and the used Shade preset (or your own preset) you can probably increase this value. Between 1 and 10 should work.

edit: sorry, you can enable or disable the effect with shift+F12 (not F12).

Light blue rain and clean white sunsets are also great. You can always adjust the darkening of your ENB effect in the ini

[colorCORRECTION]

DarkeningAmountDay=1

Depending on your monitor and the used Shade preset (or your own preset) you can probably increase this value. Between 1 and 10 should work.

edit: sorry, you can enable or disable the effect with shift+F12 (not F12).

Is there a way or a separate "parameter" that can be adjusted somewhere to increase Ambient Light in the VC in these planes? In real life, even when the sun is low, there would be light bouncing around in the cockpit and the pannel (while darker) would still be illuminated better and more visible without losing the richness of the shadows outside.

C.

Not sure, sorry. This might be a question for the Shade developer. But i am afraid that's global lightening.

On the other hand, when you fly a real aircraft towards the low sun and you wear (most likely) sunglasses, you won't see much more either... Solution in RL and the sim would be to turn on the instrument back-lights. Works perfect for example in the Katana.

Yes, having had Shade for a little while now, I've settled on 'Mark's Final' too, although 'A Brighter Light ' ran it close.

I find that Enbseries and Shade compliment one another extremely well.

I can see no effect on performance either and do like the touch that it changes with the time of day as it would do naturally.

Lovely program and very inexpensive. Great.

John

I also bought it and regret my purchase for now... Luckily it was cheap. ;) I tried Marks Final in order to remedy the dark clouds but I found out it only makes everything LIGHTER... it looks almost identical to FSX default! No deeper shadows at all. Yes, I do get deeper shadows with other presets but then EVERYTHING gets darker and you lose the detail in dark places (not using ENB right now).

It feels like I could have done all this too by simply changing some color and gamma settings on the nVidia CP... I really don't understand the hype about Shade. I see for instance JohnY settled for Marks Final: do you know it's just a little bit lighter than FSX default and that's all...? Turn up the brightness of your screen one notch and you get the same effect imho. :P Sometimes I wonder if people start seeing things only because they just spend money and really want to see some changes... :P

Ah well, it was worth a try... I guess...