here are some aerial photos of Portland.

Posted Image

That third shot is not of Portland.  ::)

I agree! Grew up in KPDX and have flown over it many times. I would agree with KSEA.  Maybe Portlane Maine?  Never been there.

I can't see it on your screen shots, but be advised that PGE Park in downtown Portland is currently being renovated for the Portland Timbers soccer team.  The result of the renovation is to make it into a soccer/football only venue.  Previously it had been a multi-purpose baseball/football/soccer facility.

Here are some links showing the design of the renovated stadium

http://pgepark.io-media.com/

http://www.portlandtimbers.com/sites/portland.qa.sandbox.mlssoccer.com/files/Aerial01.jpg

http://timbers.soccercityusa.com/pge-2011-2.jpg

Good luck with this scenery project.  As a resident of the Rose City I can't wait for it's release.

Thanks for the wonderful comments guys, and I will be glad to get this one out to you all

Now for some answers:

- FPS, its a case of take 100% out and put 250% back in without affecting FPS, tough tough job, but at present with 95% of full load it is bang on par with default PNW portland which was how I originally planned it, I have had to drop some of the things I wanted to build and add, and also be very cut-throat with modeling, and tread lightly with autogen

- Helipads, yes there are a few, one on the Bancorp tower, the Portland-helipad (near union station), one on the ODS tower, and one on top of one of the carparks (however I notice its been now closed from looking at newer photoreal)

Thanks for the wonderful comments guys, and I will be glad to get this one out to you all

Now for some answers:

- FPS, its a case of take 100% out and put 250% back in without affecting FPS, tough tough job, but at present with 95% of full load it is bang on par with default PNW portland which was how I originally planned it, I have had to drop some of the things I wanted to build and add, and also be very cut-throat with modeling, and tread lightly with autogen

- Helipads, yes there are a few, one on the Bancorp tower, the Portland-helipad (near union station), one on the ODS tower, and one on top of one of the carparks (however I notice its been now closed from looking at newer photoreal)

How about the hospitals? I seem to recall that you had problems with finding enough image material for some?  :)

The Willamette River bridges look good and are a key element in getting Portland right.

It looks like you've still got a bit of work to do on the Morrison Bridge

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d1/MorrisonBridge-Pano.jpg/800px-MorrisonBridge-Pano.jpg

And the Steel Bridge.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/80/SteelBridgePano1.jpg/800px-SteelBridgePano1.jpg

Also, I can't see whether you've upgraded the default version of the St John's Bridge (further downriver, just above the helicopter on 2nd shot)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/07/StJohnsBridge.jpg/800px-StJohnsBridge.jpg

Again, good luck with this great piece of scenery.

PDXFlyer, maybe you missed this post: http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=31960.0

looks t me like Tim did a bang up job on all your bridges.  We are all excited about this release but cut Tim a little slack.  it is a free upload that he is spending a lot of time on and you're going to rip into him about how he still has work to do on a couple of bridges?  Maybe that was not your intent but as someone who keeps making attempts to do scenery, i know how labor intensive this can be for one person to do.

Kyle

Its ok Kyle, its good to have locals to point out things, I live on the other side of the world to Portland

As with most projects I start out with a huge 'wishlist' and then sort into layers of priority, in this project getting the photoreal and the skyscrapers and other unique buildings was my main target, the second target it to create an add-on that has a very small foot print in terms of fps which is crucial in an area like Portland, so as I have been tinkering on this for nearly a year with a combined total of about 300 hours so far of research, image hunting, gathering building dimensions and heights, modeling, autogen, photoreal work, photoshop texture, blending and water masking work, I have to draw a line somewhere so I am using a combination of default FSX Portland bridges, Holger's fantastic extrusion bridges and some of my own custom ones, at this point the Morrison bridge is the only one left still to do, once the second large stage is out of the way (lightmaps), I will see what I can still squeeze in

When I do a freeware project its done purely for the love of it and mostly selfishly for myself, I have fun while doing it, listen to lots of good music, but best of all (and thanks to ORBX) I get to share it freely with everyone at the end!  ;D

That's increadible effort Tim, and 300 + hours of 'your time'.... you give that to us!

I would like to donate a token of my appreciation for your effort and dedication for this!

Do you have a paypal acc for donations?

Tim,

thanks for that last comment.  And my apologies to PDXflyer, was not intending to be negative, but i know what it is like to spend countless hours on a project that you are releasing for free and someone say's " you still didn't make it look like the real thing."  On the other side, i know what it like to make something and you try so hard to make it look just like the real thing; i understand your comment about having to draw the line somewhere.

Kyle

am I going to need a new computer to run this?

this is what I got so far:

i7-930 o/c 4.3Ghz

ASUS P6TD Deluxe mobo

6 gigs DDR3 ram

EVGA GTX 470

640 Gig HD at 7200 rpm

150 Gig HD at 10,000 rpm

creative Xfi soundblaster card

FSX w/sp2

Win 7 64bit home premium

WELL as it is right now, when I fly over ORBX PNW big cities, like Portland and Seattle I have to go from autogen setting of Extremely Dense (full right) which is what I can normally run, to Dense and my water down to low 2.x  - It's just that this stuff looks very intense... so I hope they found a way to get good frames...

Tim, congratulations on a amazing update of the city of Portland, it really looks great and there are some really nice touches like the wind turbines atop one of the skyscrapers.  I did have one question, when flying at night the city looks great but there are no street lights on any of the streets in downtown.  Is this done by design?  you can see the light footprint in the texture but no light itself.  I was wondering if it was just something that would be too crowded or to much of a hit on smoothness or something else.

Kyle