Hello,

Well I just bought the full NA range and installed it. It just doesnt work well enuf with my setup to be of any use.

I know what I am doing and I own (legally) dozens of payware scenes (Swiss Pro FSX + all addons, Fly tampaa Grenadines, Menorca-Majjorca, Madeira aerosoft, UTX USA and Canada+FEX+GEX and France VFR Britany X all work nicely in my setup)

My understanding of the issue (the scenes just stuttle every sec of so close to the detailled airports), is that NA FTE uses 1.2 G of mem whereas all the other addons are closer to 0.8 G, this is saturating my system as I can see for of HD hit isntead of mem access in perf monitor. My video card with 756 Meg may be a bit small too.

Vista 32 + Q6600 Quad Core 3.2 Ghz + 4 G of mem + 8800 GTX + raports in raid 0

Too bad your scenes looked cool, but I guess u need a 64 bits env to take profit of it. You should spell that out as I spend 68€ for nada (at least until I move to a 6 Core 4.2 Ghz + SSD + win 7 etc..)

Disapointed  :-[ especially because I lov the seattle region in real life and I was hopping to become one of your lasting customer.

Hi Etienne,

What scenery settings are you using, did you start with the suggested in the manual?

I'm also running Vista 32 but on a 2.93G I3, 4G ram, and 9500 GTX. I get between 15 and 20 FPS in all but Seattle and Portland which drop down to 10-15 FPS, but then I also like my autogen ;D.

I do mostly fly propliners so the occasional stutter or FPS drop into PDX or SEA isn't going to kill me as my approach speeds are around 100 knts or less.

I don't have the NA addon fields so I can't comment on those but do have Hervey Bay from the AU series, which is very nicely detailed, and run it no problems.

Al

You should be able to run it with that ... I can run it ok and I am only using a E8400 @ 3Ghz and a 9800GTX, though I am using Win7 64bit...

Did you defrag after install?

Did you delete your FSX.cfg file and let it rebuild itself?

Did you set the sliders at the recommended settings?

Try those things and see how you go....

Etienne, my system isn't much different to yours, albeit I have a slightly better video card.  I run the Australian FTX products with no problems at all at 1920x1200 with 4xAA and 16xAF enabled, I haven't got PNW yet but I can't imagine it's too different performance wise.  The key, I found, was to lower the autogen settings to half of maximum.  Not much visual impact, but massive performance boost.

Good luck, and don't give up so easily!!

Derek

My old system used Vista 32 bit on a Quad Core platform and I was getting around 23 FPS in ORBX AU with some pretty heavy traffic. Worst I ever got was the high teens. Persevere

Hey Argharg, like everyone has posted, don't give up. Before going to my new system, I had one very similar to yours with an even slower graphics card and could squeeze about 20-30 FPS out of my rig depending on where I was flying.

Steps:

1. Backup your fsx.cfg by renaming it to fsx.cfg.old and let FSX rebuild it by starting FSX with the renamed file only.

2. After FSX has started, set your display setting to the following settings:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

3. Exit FSX and in Nvidia Control Panel set Anistotropic Filtering to 8x and AA to 4x. Do not use Transparency AA as it will kill your system.

4. Add the following entries to your fsx.cfg in the prescribed sections:

[TERRAIN]

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=500

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=800

[MAIN]

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.23

5. Download Game Booster and use it to kill your unneeded services and background apps before starting FSX.

6. Fly a test flight and let us know what you get!

5. Download Game Booster and use it to kill your unneeded services and background apps before starting FSX.

How I've not seen this little beauty on my travels? Terrific job it does AND it'll defrag just the FSX folder.

Is it only me or do other people have the situation where, if you add an aircraft or scenery or mess with FSX at all, it stops responding until it's been restarted a few times?

Sorry, it's a bit ot.

I do all these in order to allow that little bit of extra kick when running FSX:

1) Go to Control Panel/Performance Information and Tools/Adjust Visual Effects - In the performance options, chose Adjust for best performance

This turns off all the fancy stuff in windows that will use valuable system memory etc.

2) Run a program called End it All http://www.pcmedixwebs.com/enditall.htm

This shuts down un necessary programs and frees up memory much like Game Booster

3) Run Game Booster (just to be double sure)

4) Run FSX as Administrator

5) When FSX is loading, start Task Manager – In the processes tab look for the FSX.exe – right click and and set priority as High

Always run FSX after a fresh re-boot

Hope this helps some

It seems to me that if your system ran the Blue demo satisfactorily, you should be able to run PNW.. look to your settings, and your system as something is wrong there.

Just a little advice here too, drop the negative attitude, help is here for you if you want it, but the guys here don't take kindly to negativity. Teecee.

Ok tried the proposed setup from a re-generated fsx.cfg, did not do the trick, something funy in my setup.

I realize it has something to do with my setup (? the raid 0, ?driver, who knows) I wont try anymore as it a bit agravating to spend hour twicking stuff without prevailling. As I will probably upgrade for a new computer - that could happen later this year - I will by then reinstall and see.

No biggy.

Ok tried the proposed setup from a re-generated fsx.cfg, did not do the trick, something funy in my setup.

I realize it has something to do with my setup (? the raid 0, ?driver, who knows) I wont try anymore as it a bit agravating to spend hour twicking stuff without prevailling. As I will probably upgrade for a new computer - that could happen later this year - I will by then reinstall and see.

No biggy.

Since you have Vista 32-bit read this so you'll be able to take advantage of all your 4GB memory in FSX

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041

scroll down a little and you'll see where Nick talk about enabling all the memory for FSX on a 32-bit system....good luck

Think you may need an upgrade. Not sure, but FTX was unplayable on my old system and it was almost the same as yours (Q6600 @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, GTX275). Everyone told me it should be, but for some reason (perhaps a bottleneck somewhere) it always ran like a complete dog unless I turned almost everything to low. I had no problem with any other scenery, so must be something FTX uses that doesn't like some sort of hardware. What mobo and chipset do you have (mine was an nvidia 680i chipset)?

Upgraded to an i5-750 @ 4GHz and now it runs like a dream. Better than I could have imagined, especially with the BP=0 tweak. Even MAX autogen over dense cities is still playable at 15fps (MAX_TREES and MAX_BUILDINGS both set to 6000), but I knock it back a notch to get 20fps+. In the rural areas it screams along. It was so good that I just purchased the PNW area yesterday. I'm simply blown away.

The point is, I understand your frustration. I spent many nights tweaking to try and get it flyable at acceptable levels of detail. In the end I was better off putting it aside and coming back to it after an upgrade.

I upgraded from Vista 32bit to 64bit so that the game could take advantage of 6gigs of RAM.

The upgrade is recommended and buy the fastest RAM that you can afford.  The difference is fantastic.

Better still go straight to W7 64bit.  Cheapest by upgrade, many don't like the idea, but we have to fit our purses, as W7 Home Premium 64bit as a standalone installation is still pricey.  Except for those who can ebay in the US.

Think you may need an upgrade. Not sure, but FTX was unplayable on my old system and it was almost the same as yours (Q6600 @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, GTX275). Everyone told me it should be, but for some reason (perhaps a bottleneck somewhere) it always ran like a complete dog unless I turned almost everything to low. I had no problem with any other scenery, so must be something FTX uses that doesn't like some sort of hardware. What mobo and chipset do you have (mine was an nvidia 680i chipset)?

The point is, I understand your frustration. I spent many nights tweaking to try and get it flyable at acceptable levels of detail. In the end I was better off putting it aside and coming back to it after an upgrade.

Yeah nvidia 680i chipset, somehow your post s0cks cheers me up, as I know I know what I am doing (I have built some decent size freeware airport scenes, got a MS in CS etc..) and noticed that most people who are very happy with orbx products tend to be on i7 + win7. So there must be a bottle neck somehow in my current setup (size of the level 2 CPU cache?). Or maybe the "flood" technology doesn't work (When I tested Na without the additional airports and before updating to the latest version of the lib it worked)

Who knows.

Etien

Yeah nvidia 680i chipset, somehow your post s0cks cheers me up, as I know I know what I am doing (I have built some decent size freeware airport scenes, got a MS in CS etc..) and noticed that most people who are very happy with orbx products tend to be on i7 + win7. So there must be a bottle neck somehow in my current setup (size of the level 2 CPU cache?). Or maybe the "flood" technology doesn't work (When I tested Na without the additional airports and before updating to the latest version of the lib it worked)

Who knows.

Etien

Yeah, glad I could be of some assistance. I'm not really sure what it was, but unless I ran sparse (or less) autogen (even with road traffic and AI off) it would run like a dog. It always puzzled me because default FSX scenery showed far more buildings (than FTX @ sparse) and ran at a much better framerate. To be honest I was never a fan of the 680i. My setup never seemed to get the sort of performance that I expected from it in any game. I guess its no wonder it wasn't around long.

Guest AS355F

I upgraded from Vista 32bit to 64bit so that the game could take advantage of 6gigs of RAM.

The upgrade is recommended and buy the fastest RAM that you can afford.  The difference is fantastic.

Better still go straight to W7 64bit.  Cheapest by upgrade, many don't like the idea, but we have to fit our purses, as W7 Home Premium 64bit as a standalone installation is still pricey.  Except for those who can ebay in the US.

Build your own pc. I purchased Win7 Ultimate x64 oem for $150.  ;)

All perfectly legal. If you make any changes such as a new motherboard or cpu you just have to go through the phone activation process - no biggie.

Others in this thread have mentioned ram, I have 8Gb and it's more than enough, Win7 and FSX hardly top 2Gb for me so really 4Gb is plenty. Video ram OTOH I have no idea about.

Build your own pc. I purchased Win7 Ultimate x64 oem for $150.  ;)

All perfectly legal. If you make any changes such as a new motherboard or cpu you just have to go through the phone activation process - no biggie.

Others in this thread have mentioned ram, I have 8Gb and it's more than enough, Win7 and FSX hardly top 2Gb for me so really 4Gb is plenty. Video ram OTOH I have no idea about.

Video RAM on the actual GPU ( not shared video RAM) is extremely important to FSX. It does not help so much with FPS, BUT it does help with the loading of textures, stutters, blurries etc. Basically, the more GPU RAM you have, the higher resolution you can run without a hit to your FPS, and the crisper your textures will appear in FSX because you can run with higher AA and anisotropic filtering.

CPU speed remains the single biggest impact to your actual FSX FPS. There is no substitute for it. To draw on a quote from the movie 'Mad Max', "Speed is just a question of money...how fast do you wanna go?"  ;)

You should be able to run it with that ... I can run it ok and I am only using a E8400 @ 3Ghz and a 9800GTX, though I am using Win7 64bit...

Did you defrag after install?

Did you delete your FSX.cfg file and let it rebuild itself?

Did you set the sliders at the recommended settings?

Try those things and see how you go....

OK total newbie here but I've just downloaded NA demo after having TAS demo. I have GEX for FSX so really wanna buy NA as my first purchase. Should I really delete the FSX.cfg file after installing NA?

Never just delete your fsx.cfg, rename it to something like fsx.cfg.bak or fsx.cfg.old.

You do not have to delete it after installing the NA demo, but it's a good idea to do it every onve in awhile to tidy things up (but only if you feel comfortable enough with starting a new fsx.cfg, do not do it if you aren't sure of yourself.). ;)