Nature knowledge from Canada to my Aussie friends

On 1/21/2021 at 12:00 AM, Rodger Pettichord said:

Reminds me of the jackalopes in Texas.

image.jpeg.5594bf736c1a4ab282c953f538146e90.jpeg

We see jackalopes here in the Texas Panhandle all of the time.  They are not that big.:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not much different to the dolphins in NT or North Queensland.  Further south, in my neck of the woods, it’s either a dolphin or erm... white pointer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
On 1/22/2021 at 6:32 AM, lifejogger said:

We see jackalopes here in the Texas Panhandle all of the time.  They are not that big.

I've seen lots in Western Canada too and they are quite small.

Larry

• Like 3

Okay, the joke has run its course. Forgive me fellow conspirators, but in the interests of Forum civility, I'm letting everyone in on the joke. A jackalope is not a real creature. It is a tourist come-on invented by a taxidermist, who took horns from a dead prairie antelope and stuck them on a dead prairie jackrabbit as a joke on tourists who were coming from the east to experience the "real" west. The joke is still popular, and "jackalopes" can be purchased at tourist traps east-west from Minnesota to Montana, and north-south from North Dakota to Texas. The Canadian dolphin shown above, on the other hand, is quite real. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
13 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

What a great National Geographic-post here, thanks Karl for this initiative.

We don´t have dolphins here in Germany, the most exotic animal probably is the Wolpertinger https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolpertinger

I believe the  Wolpertinger  is a distant cousin of the Jackalope.:)

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

Obviously it is time for a new edition of the Beastiary.  Most of these are obviously unknown to the twelfth century zoologists!

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Stillwater said:

We don´t have dolphins here in Germany, the most exotic animal probably is the Wolpertinger https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolpertinger

sc4fWk5.jpg

Oh my mama's drawers, what a beauty! This is surely the Best of Show! Thanks, Gerold :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
On 1/22/2021 at 11:57 PM, lifejogger said:

I lived in Houston Texas for many years and this is what a  dolphin looks like there.

w8lEDFT.jpg

Yep, we have a few of those lurking in our waters John

• Like 4
22 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Yep, we have a few of those lurking in our waters John

Ah man, I wish you guys would stop posting these strange looking "Dolphin's". Now Hilda want's one. She said: "Why I don't believe I've seen anything that cute since my Yogi and cap'n Karl I think our passengers would me tickled to death by this cutie":o:wacko::D(If y'all don't know Yogi is her pet Grizzly you can see him in the above pic. in my post):rolleyes::D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
20 hours ago, BradB said:

Stay warm up there this week Karl , I thought of you when I saw this on F.B . :

Yeah John all I can say is ouch:unsure:. I wish I could snuggle up with Yogi in his cave and not come out till May:unsure::D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 5:45 PM, Stillwater said:

sc4fWk5.jpg

Strange mini-griffen.  A Gargoyle in the flesh! 

• Like 3

Jackalope, Wolpertinger!  Obviously, the taxidermy business is not doing too well.  Taxidermists have left over animal parts, and WAAAY too much time on their hands!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2