TE So Cal and No Cal add on airports?

Just bought Orbx TE So Cal and No Cal for P3Dv5.1 in the sale, would like some recommendations for add on Orbx airports for these two areas that will enhance the experience flying in these regions please?

This will leave me just the three other Orbx US TE regions to buy in near future ... did see the bundle for the 5 of them, but by my calculations it would have been cheaper to buy the 5 separately! Only planned to buy one, overstretched the spending recently with new rig, phone, Xmas etc but ended up buying two, do own a fair amount of US Orbx airports, but my US Geography aint great being a Brit :)

Just curious what airports would be considered essential for these TE California areas, plan to do a tour of the scenery quite soon.

Oh ... and I take it I should un-install my original So Cal and No Cal area's first? Hope so, because that's what I've done.

Actually, just properly discovered the usefulness of the Orbx scenery discover part of their software.

Had Half Moon Bay airport already and since I bought that to re-kindle fond memory's of flying around the San Francisco bay area in flight Unlimited 2, just bought San Carlos and San Jose airports too.

Any other recommendations for these 2 TE scenery area's welcome though ... and while the sale is still on :)

• Like 1

Actually, now that I've started Orbx TE No Cal download, realised its a 70 + GB download, as is the So Cal download I've bought, that's going to take all day, will need to free up my bandwidth for NY Hogmanay DJ stuff later tonight  ... I hope it can be paused and resumed later?

Honestly never realised the size of the downloads, but its OK, not complaining, actually bought a 1 TB SSD just for P3dV 5, FSX has its own 1TB SSD too, actually bought a 2 TB SSD just for FS2020, but so far, its not really using much of it ... this P3Dv5 is filling up fast though, the remaining 3 US TE regions are going to need about 70 GB space too I see ... my UK TE stuff, took about 20 GB per region.

Wow 2 Orbx TE US regions alone take more space than entire globe of FS2020 ... honestly not complaining, this is my hobby, this is my passion, will buy a dedicated 2TB SSD for P3D v5 early in New Year 21 and move everything over to it, then purchase the remaining Orbx TE US regions, just hope 2TB will be enough?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, B12 said:

...Wow 2 Orbx TE US regions alone take more space than entire globe of FS2020 ... honestly not complaining, this is my hobby, this is my passion, will buy a dedicated 2TB SSD for P3D v5 early in New Year 21 and move everything over to it, then purchase the remaining Orbx TE US regions, just hope 2TB will be enough?

Of course, the entire MSFS globe is not on your hard drive.  In fact, almost none of the major detail is.  Things start looking pretty sparse if you disconnect from the continuous online donwloads.

Rod  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, stiletto2 said:

Of course, the entire MSFS globe is not on your hard drive.  In fact, almost none of the major detail is.  Things start looking pretty sparse if you disconnect from the continuous online donwloads.

Rod  

You are quite correct of course Rod, thanks for correcting me, FS2020 does the rolling cache thing ... quite clever tech really!

But still, and its my fault for not checking first, its clearly stated on Orbx's download links the size and then expanded size of the TE US downloads.

But I also remember now, 2 different vers of TE Orbx US volumes SD and HD, or perhaps that was for XP11 only I no longer use any more? Would have went for HD version anyway.

Its cool though, really is, was just surprised at the download sizes, it is how it is though and I'll easily grab a 2TB dedicated P3Dv5 SSD in new year to replace this 1TB one, will not be going back to mechanical drives again, they are fine once sim has loaded I know, but love my maintenance free SSD only rig now, there is no going back.

Happy New Year 2021 to you and everyone here ... love this hobby :)

• Like 1
10 hours ago, B12 said:

Oh ... and I take it I should un-install my original So Cal and No Cal area's first? Hope so, because that's what I've done.

Hi B12,

TrueEarth scenery is stand alone.  TE takes precedence over FTX regions in P3D, so you will only see the TE scenery when you run the sim.

Your FTX regions won't cause any conflicts with TE if you leave them installed, but they are not adding anything to the TE scenery.

The only benefit I can think of to leaving FTX installed is that you could temporarily deactivate your TE scenery by unchecking it in the P3D Add-on menu and then fly around in your FTX scenery if you wanted a season besides summer.  If you don't care about seasons, uninstalling the FTX regions will save some SSD space.

As for airports, I enjoy them all. 

Off the top of my head, I like KRDD Redding for its air tanker base.  I have an OV-10 with a matching Cal Fire livery.

Happy New Year!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, larryisenor said:

I really like Santa Barbara (KSBA). Lots of character in a medium size airport.

Larry

Thanks Larry, will check that out, sale is on to the 5th, nice one Orbx :)

3 hours ago, Matt McGee said:

Hi B12,

TrueEarth scenery is stand alone.  TE takes precedence over FTX regions in P3D, so you will only see the TE scenery when you run the sim.

Your FTX regions won't cause any conflicts with TE if you leave them installed, but they are not adding anything to the TE scenery.

The only benefit I can think of to leaving FTX installed is that you could temporarily deactivate your TE scenery by unchecking it in the P3D Add-on menu and then fly around in your FTX scenery if you wanted a season besides summer.  If you don't care about seasons, uninstalling the FTX regions will save some SSD space.

As for airports, I enjoy them all. 

Off the top of my head, I like KRDD Redding for its air tanker base.  I have an OV-10 with a matching Cal Fire livery.

Happy New Year!

Great advice Matt, TY very much, Happy New Year.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, todsplace said:

So...SCA airports, ie AVX, SBA, SAN... work with TE (SoCal) w/o FTX SoCal active?

Yes they do , you just won't have season's ;  but it's mostly Summer in SoCal year round anyway . :D:D

• Like 2
On 12/31/2020 at 5:45 PM, B12 said:

You are quite correct of course Rod, thanks for correcting me, FS2020 does the rolling cache thing ... quite clever tech really!

No, its not the rolling cash. This is used for something else (actually I have no idea for what exactly). 

I have disabled the rolling cash as recommended by many here in the forum.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, wolfko said:

No, its not the rolling cash. This is used for something else (actually I have no idea for what exactly). 

I have disabled the rolling cash as recommended by many here in the forum.

Pretty good explantion here from the forums :

My belief is that if you have a good internet speed and a decent PC, the cache method of rendering scenery is somewhat cumbersome.

When you enable rolling cache, the CPU has to first use the streamed internet scenery (via VRam/RAM) to render your scene, which should be very fast! Then the CPU has to write that scenery to your HDD/SSD. Thus the CPU has extra load. Flying back to an area that’s been written into rolling cache may only have FPS benefits if your internet speed is slow, or intermittent.

The fact that my former rolling cache folder was deleted after the 1.8 update, may suggest that the Devs realise a fast internet and PC are more efficient than rolling cache? Who knows?

As long as MSFS is stutter free I will be very happy. My P3d install has that many add ons the CPU overheads are causing stutter.

Lets hope they continue to develop MSFS, flying over my territory and seeing minute features is a joy!

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Thanks all

Great info. Actually went and bought TE Oregon for P3Dv5 in this sale as well, the concern I had for the 1 TB dedicated P3Dv5 SSD seems unfounded, there is room on there still for TE Washington and probably TE Florida and good few more airports as well with still a decent percentage of free space still left, apparently its good practise to leave at least 15% space free on an SSD.

Once more P3D v5 TE areas are added ... and I hope they are, I'll need to look at a bigger SSD then, but good for a while I think :)

• Like 1
On 1/9/2021 at 2:53 PM, Dean Salman said:

I have 1Tb and have all the TE on it with msfs 2020 which I plan to remove and make more room for future USA TE.   Its great scenery and I am running 4k. 

Thanks Dean, running 4K here too.

• 2 weeks later...

Added P3Dv5 TE Washington just now due to current sale ... YAY, am well served for this coastal area of US now with 4 TE scenery packs and some choice airports too and will add more before I approach them, will plan my exploratory flight/'s from So Cal upwards and add Orbx interesting airports as I need them, not going to fly from South to North on that coast in one flight, it will be with a GA aircraft to be decided upon soon, probably one from A2A ... shame about the lack of seasons, but don't mind, it will be a trek based in Summer.

58 minutes ago, Rob Abernathy said:

KRDD is not presently compatible with P3Dv5.1.   Wish it was, it's my home.

Rob ... I see you have P3Dv5.2 in your sig, when did that happen?

I worry about what LM do at times with their franchise of the series, tiny increments break compatibility and major scenery company's may find it hard to keep up?

Love what LM have done of course and especially bringing it to 64 bit software a while ago ... but V5 lost compatibility with 16 Orbx airports Nicks recently wrote, one that I really do miss, so with 5.1 and it looks like there is a 5.2, its all just a catch up game and perhaps LM are getting left behind with a moving target platform?

I hope whatever 5.2 does, does not break more compatibility for after market add ons, love the sim of course, it's my go to sim just now while I await MS FS2020 to really mature.

Honest questions.

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead you.  I had a typo on my signature.  I have P3Dv5.1 (5.1.12.26829)  So nothing new is broken!   I have made KRDD work before but it works one time, then the next time there are no buildings at all.   I've tried copying it from FSX install and adding via the in game World/Scenery Library method.  Worked a few times but mostly didn't stick.  I gave up spending so much time trying to get it to work.  I'm unaware of just what the actual issue is to make it compatible.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead you.  I had a typo on my signature.  I have P3Dv5.1 (5.1.12.26829)  So nothing new is broken!   I have made KRDD work before but it works one time, then the next time there are no buildings at all.   I've tried copying it from FSX install and adding via the in game World/Scenery Library method.  Worked a few times but mostly didn't stick.  I gave up spending so much time trying to get it to work.  I'm unaware of just what the actual issue is to make it compatible.

Rob,  Where did you direct your airplane to spawn at?  If it was in the parking lot/GA parking area, that error has been around since FSX, I believe.  If you spawn at the terminal, all the buildings show up.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Rob,  Where did you direct your airplane to spawn at?  If it was in the parking lot/GA parking area, that error has been around since FSX, I believe.  If you spawn at the terminal, all the buildings show up.

Thanks Stewart, I'll give that a try.  I may have missed that trick!

EDIT

Thanks Stew!  That did work!   Parking 1 Ramp GA Large and it all looks great.

9 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Thanks Stewart, I'll give that a try.  I may have missed that trick!

EDIT

Thanks Stew!  That did work!   Parking 1 Ramp GA Large and it all looks great.

My pleasure, Rob.  It was a point of some concern way back when, and I believe attempts were made to figure out what was causing the error, but with no success.  If one lands at KRDD and parks the plane on the ramp, then save the flight, I believe the buildings show up when you load up the flight again later.  Since you like to fly out of KRDD, I would try that.

Stew

On 12/31/2020 at 10:30 PM, B12 said:

... actually bought a 1 TB SSD just for P3dV 5, FSX has its own 1TB SSD too, actually bought a 2 TB SSD just for FS2020tuff, took about 20 GB per region ...

Fortunately my M/B has 3 x M.2 slots - 1 Pcie  4.0 for boot, and the other 2 for sims (and 20 Tb of HDDs).

Have you thought about using the 2 Tb SSD for P3Dv5 and the other drives for the other sims. My P3Dv5 is on a 2 Tb M.2 and I have almost all P3Dv5 Orbx installed, including all TE HD products . There was plenty of room for my huge fleet, including PMDG, Majestic, A2A and many, many others. Also other scenery such as FlyTampa, FSDG and weather programs etc...

This is what worked best for me, as I wanted no compromise in the addons installed for P3Dv5.

I have MSFS on a 1 Tb M.2  alongside a cut down P3Dv4 install that has most VFR France scenery, and my non-v5 compatible aircraft that I still want to use. There is plenty of room for both. With MSFS I use the manual cache for saved hi-res versions of my local and most frequented flying areas, because atm, I only have ADSL internet (3 day continuous d\l for MSFS !  And not fast enough for Photogrammetry. ).

With MSFS, hi-res scenery does not need as much room as you would think, and I have not touched the side of the 100 Gb cache set aside for this. (Note that the cache can be on another drive, entirely - you get to specify where it is stored). My new home I am in the process of moving to has Broadband to fix this - and a whole room just for my FS cockpit and hobbies hehe...

XP-11 with Orbx TE HD scenery is on a seperate SATA SSD, and Aerofly (again with Orbx) on a  different 1 Tb  SATA SSD with my Steam library.

FWIW, I love all my sims, and despite MFSF looking fantastic, and being hugely entertaining, I use it less than 20% of my simming time. P3Dv5 gets 65% of my sim-time, still.

I am just as happy with Orbx TE HD scenery in P3D and XP-11 (and the aircraft are waaay better) as I am with MSFS scenery. Only use 4K on a dedicated 65" screen.

[gratuitous comment - I really really hate the stupid wide-angle distortion built into MSFS, and not fully fixed with Lens Correction=On. Through my real eyes, scenery and planes just do not look like this, and panning views are sea-sick inducing. Just my rant, but it is partly why I mostly 'fly' Orbx TE HD, as P3D and XP do not do this].