Jump to content

Any chance for regional landmarks packs?


Recommended Posts

That's something I had in mind, too. At present, we have to download groups of buildings up to single objects at the worst case from the freeware sites. I observe the /Community folder to become cluttered more and more.

 

Packages of areas sized like the TE or former FTX regions would be great.

 

Kind regards, Michael

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fabs79 said:

Hi, 

 

although I appreciate the city landmarks packs like London, Singapore and Paris, they only cover a tiny area in regions otherwise devoid of interesting landmarks. What I'd love to see are landmarks packs that include every Landmark of a True Earth region, like GB North, not only the famous buildings but also VFR reference points like wind turbines, chimney stacks... Is there any chance we might see something like this in the not too distant future? 

 

1 hour ago, pmb said:

That's something I had in mind, too. At present, we have to download groups of buildings up to single objects at the worst case from the freeware sites. I observe the /Community folder to become cluttered more and more.

 

Packages of areas sized like the TE or former FTX regions would be great.

 

Kind regards, Michael

 

I agree with both of you. And those freeware buildings, mostly extractions from Google Maps, can have a pretty heavy impact on performance, especially on smoothness. 

Edited by wolfko
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, wolfko said:

 

 

I agree with both of you. And those freeware buildings, mostly extractions from Google Maps, can have a pretty heavy impact on performance, especially on smoothness. 

When you look at the folders of those freeware sceneries you will see that many of them use very ineffective texturing methods, namely a large number of very small textures per object which leads to a heavy workload for the GPU. I once downloaded a freeware scenery for the Zion National Park and though it looked great it was essentially unflyable. the texture folder contained 41000 texture each of them only a few kilobytes big. I guess that happens when people mistake watching a 5 minute YouTube video on extracting and converting Google earth data with efficient scenery design. That said, there is a number of really high quality freeware sceneries available, but as Michael pointed out it's really hard to keep track of all the small add-ons. That's why I'd prefer a larger scale regional Addon that significantly enhances a big region containing many airports so you can just enjoy exploring the area. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2020 at 2:27 AM, John Hargreaves said:

Oh yes a big +1 for UK landmarks pack lifted from TEGB, I have my Christmas money ready and waiting :rolleyes:

There was a time when some people thought that MSFS would spell the end for the likes of Orbx, turns out we need them more than ever.

Perhaps I'm misinformed but, at the release of TEGB South the XP default file of 'London landmarks' was required above TEGB in scenery_packs.ini in order to be seen.  So at that time it would appear there was no Orbx version of 'London Landmarks'.  I like their version and wish they'd do it for XP.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I think when we installed TEGB south, you had to have default XP11 London installed as well, as Orbx used some of the default buildings. Makes sense, no point in doing the same work twice. A more comprehensive London for XP would be good, but XP London was better than MSFS London was on release, however they have added stuff since then - Wimbledon Tennis etc.

Orbx must have a few thousand POIs from the TEGB series that would nicely lay on top of the generic MSFS scenery. TEGB Leeds in XP for instance is far superior to MSFS currently. The difference is a city that looks recognisable vs a city that has things broadly in the right place, just not the right things, to paraphrase Eric Morecambe

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, John Hargreaves said:

The difference is a city that looks recognisable vs a city that has things broadly in the right place, just not the right things

I believe I've read some day that the Orbx MSFS airports will not have much extended surrounding scenery due to the photo realistic nature of MSFS.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Count me in of course

I love cities so as much complete as possible it's better

I also download all the free landmarks out there but some are not that good but improves a bit

I know it would be a titanic work but.....little by little? A department focused on only landmarks and cities?

Maybe the one that made the Netherlands...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2021 at 8:02 AM, bvdboomen said:

I believe I've read some day that the Orbx MSFS airports will not have much extended surrounding scenery due to the photo realistic nature of MSFS.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think we are meaning the airports as much as the general scenery. MSFS is amazing for lighting and atmosphere, but weak on detail for specific POIs. It's great if you fly over an area you don't know, but disappointing when you are familiar with the area. I'd imagine Orbx might be waiting to see what's in the UK update, but it makes no sense for them to have all those castles and towers on their hard drives and not make some cash with them.

Edited by John Hargreaves
Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I’m confused by this thread ,  why do we need TE for MSFS ? .  When I do VFR flights over Spokane WA every 

building , church , park , highway etc is there in very high details .  I see the need for the upgraded airports but for me 

I am perfectly happy with the overall scenery in MSFS . 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Brad, I think the mean landmarks like Pebble beach GC and the Monterrey Penesula  in KMRY for instance.  Key POI that we look for while flying. or Hearst Castle in San Simeon. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, FireRx said:

Brad, I think the mean landmarks like Pebble beach GC and the Monterrey Penesula  in KMRY for instance.  Key POI that we look for while flying. or Hearst Castle in San Simeon. 

MSFS uses Bing maps , all the gof courses in our area are here , I have not explored the Monterrey Penensula yet .  This guy did a video of the landmarks from the

TV show Breaking Bad :

 

 

Cheers

 

John

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BradB said:

I guess I’m confused by this thread ,  why do we need TE for MSFS ? .  When I do VFR flights over Spokane WA every 

building , church , park , highway etc is there in very high details .  

 

Buildings, parks, highways are generally okay. However, Spokane must be either done via Photogrammetry or one of the few hand-crafted cities to include churches. Germany has very few churches and the church with the highest steeple of the world, the Ulmer Munster, is totally missing.

 

I learned it's the same in the UK.

 

Kind regards, Michael

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wherever there are areas of MSFS photogrammetry, those areas would probably not be improved that much though London is a great example where Orbx imporved on a MSFS  photogrammety city with an addon pack.   Outside of the photogrammety areas (which is most of the world) there are plenty of opportunities for POI improvement as well as some other improvements where the Asobo engine has not done a good job.  For example, TrueEarth England has hundreds of castles, churches etc. modeled throughout the countryside that are inTrueEarth Great Britain but not in MSFS now and  I doubt that they will appear when the UK World Update is released by MSFS in the coming days. 

 

Rod  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2021 at 12:44 AM, stiletto2 said:

Wherever there are areas of MSFS photogrammetry, those areas would probably not be improved that much though London is a great example where Orbx imporved on a MSFS  photogrammety city with an addon pack.   Outside of the photogrammety areas (which is most of the world) there are plenty of opportunities for POI improvement as well as some other improvements where the Asobo engine has not done a good job.  For example, TrueEarth England has hundreds of castles, churches etc. modeled throughout the countryside that are inTrueEarth Great Britain but not in MSFS now and  I doubt that they will appear when the UK World Update is released by MSFS in the coming days. 

 

Rod  

Hi,

I agree there's a lot of potential generally for Orbx in MSFS. I already have France VFR's POIs for France which are aren't too bad at all and definitely add realism to a rather bland landscape (Windmills, Water Towers and most importantly reasonably realistic churches). POIs are missing in the UK, e.g. Winchester Cathedral, as well as those already mentioned. I am not sure many will be added to the UK update...? Good if I am proved wrong though.

 

One area in the MSFS World that is given little attention more generally and may be off topic (apologies) is an area where Orbs was strongest in P3D - PNW, PFJ, NRM, S, Alaska. I would buy, PAJN, PASI, PAKT, CYBD - to get rid of the river anomalies in the local valleys, and PAVD and PAYA. Come on Orbx can you release these for MSFS?

 

And whilst I am off topic :-) what about the UK airports, Shoreham, Popham Southampton, Goodwood....?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2021 at 4:30 PM, BradB said:

I guess I’m confused by this thread ,  why do we need TE for MSFS ? .  When I do VFR flights over Spokane WA every 

building , church , park , highway etc is there in very high details .  I see the need for the upgraded airports but for me 

I am perfectly happy with the overall scenery in MSFS . 

Hi John

Well, it is the USA :)

But in many other places for example Turkey, tons of POI are missing in Istambul

As well as in many other areas.

I believe the update of the USA also helped in improving many cities

 

Cheers

Carlos

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, carlosqr said:

Hi John

Well, it is the USA :)

But in many other places for example Turkey, tons of POI are missing in Istambul

As well as in many other areas.

I believe the update of the USA also helped in improving many cities

 

Cheers

Carlos

Well, it is the USA ..........After yesterday ; any room in Costa Rica for me . :rolleyes::o:(:(

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BradB said:

Well, it is the USA ..........After yesterday ; any room in Costa Rica for me . :rolleyes::o:(:(

:o

What happened?

 

Just saw it :(

 

Sure there is plenty of room here :)

Edited by carlosqr
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I notice A.N.Other publisher has released a POI pack including literally thousands of masts, castles, lighthouses, pylons etc. etc. for a certain country just a short hop across the channel. The US and UK are crying out for something similar! (even despsite what's coming on Tuesday, and in the previous update) Could I ask is this something Orbx, or one of their partners is thinking of doing? Or are city-packs and airports going to be it from now on? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...