Yes mysterious! :o :-X

RIP David Prowse

BTW, I am curious, why the US-media is always talking of a metal monolith. The is actually nonsense, because Greek "mono" = one, Greek "lithos" = stone/rock. So a monolith is a structure (either natural or manmade), mostly a huge one, which consits just of one single rock or stone (never metal) like e. g. Uluru in Australia. At least that how it is in German and I think in most other languages. Is this different in English?

This is a natural monolith, the 2nd largest on earth Uluru (formerly known as Ayers Rock) in Australia:

8572268-16x9-xlarge.jpg.24e8d1e479b1f5d7116f11e1a03cca36.jpg

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, wolfko said:

BTW, I am curious, why the US-media is always talking of a metal monolith

Wolfko, I am not sure what US media you listen to, but I have not heard mention of a monolith in our media, at least enough to even know if they call it metal or otherwise. That said, I was always of the impression that the term monolith refers to a very large stone (as in your example of Uluru) or similar.

Edited by Sniper31
  • Like 2
24 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

Wolfko, I am not sure what US media you listen to, but I have not heard mention of a monolith in our media, at least enough to even know if they call it metal or otherwise. That said, I was always of the impression that the term monolith refers to a very large stone (as in your example of Uluru) or similar.

Hi Landon

Utah monolith: The mysterious silver monolith in the desert has disappeared - CNN

See you:)

Cheers

Pete 

Okay, so basically much ado about nothing...got it. Thanks for shedding some light Pete :)  And Wolfko, if that particular news source that Pete linked to is the one calling it a metal monolith, well, there you go. Not a very credible news source to begin with ;) 

Heck, when I first read this post, I thought we were going to be taking about Star Wars and 2001: A Space Odyssey...lol :D 

Cheers!

Landon

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Okay, so basically much ado about nothing...got it. Thanks for shedding some light Pete :)  And Wolfko, if that particular news source that Pete linked to is the one calling it a metal monolith, well, there you go. Not a very credible news source to begin with ;) 

Heck, when I first read this post, I thought we were going to be taking about Star Wars and 2001: A Space Odyssey...lol :D 

Cheers!

Landon

CNN, USA Today, Fox News, CBS etc. they all called it "metal monolith". I only know, because all these news channels are linked to MSN, which is my MS Edge browser's start site.

But you are right Landon, all this is really OT and let's get back to Darth Vader and HAL 9000. :)

Edited by wolfko