Quick! Before Sale Ends! Just Slightly Baffled by Products

Have Global Base, OpenLC Europe, Vector and Trees, fly only jetliners, but enjoy being based out of England. I am assuming a couple of things: that if I pick up EU England and EU Ireland the OpenLC Europe LC will be overridden to reflect more accurately the respective style of the countrysides in a noticeable fashion. Is this assumption correct? True Earth looks nice, but I'm afraid it would be wasted on me. In other words, there is an advantage to owning the individual EUs in addition to the one for all of Europe, correct?

I have UK2000's EGGW (home of Court Line!) and Edinburgh, plus your Bristol and Dublin. Haven't decided what to do about EGLL yet. Does anyone know offhand if there would be issues with EU England and Ireland? And since I am frequently "baffled," I have checked out the Pv5 known issues section and read the TE vs Regions thread, but wonder how likely I am to be terminally baffled (pun intended). I'm holding off on everything but an install of Orbx scenery for now.

Pv5.1 HF1, PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080

4 hours ago, StCorbiniansBear said:

I am assuming a couple of things: that if I pick up EU England and EU Ireland the OpenLC Europe LC will be overridden to reflect more accurately the respective style of the countrysides in a noticeable fashion. Is this assumption correct?

Yes, EU England and EU Ireland will have a higher scenery priority than OpenLC Europe.

Orbx regions (like EU England and EU Ireland) have more than just the Land Class of OpenLC areas.

1147096147_Orbxregionvsglobal.thumb.jpg.0f9629b8fb537792e1e0a55a2dcdda44.jpg

How noticeable the differences are will vary by location.

1575198086_Orbxregionvsglobalscreenshot.thumb.jpg.2f4c186619fa913d1790ecc0e45db314.jpg

TrueEarth scenery is based on photoreal imagery and looks more real than the legacy EU regions.

TE scenery also takes up significantly more disk space and is more demanding on your PC.

I'm sure there is a lot of discussion about TrueEarth vs. the original Region scenery.

I will try to grab a screenshot of what Southampton looks like in the TrueEarth Great Britain scenery.  I'll post it here when I get it done.

TrueEarth Great Britain - South

437389104_SouthamptonTEGB-S.thumb.jpg.c726c7906572b4bafe4e774cb47e92bf.jpg

TrueEarth Great Britain - South & Orbx EGHI Southampton airport.

1515939414_SouthamptonTEGB-SEGHI.thumb.jpg.78bdffbc5c73131e7ca85c90bdf77fcd.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks! I just wondering if airports like EGGW got any enhancements, and what the real benefit, even small, would be with EU England. After all, I'm not always going to be at 18,000 feet (although I might be pretty busy much below that). Bristol looks great, and blends in fine. But I'm going to have to adjust my lighting. It's pretty psychedelic at night! Or, since it was fall, the brightly lit up red and green trees around the airport did put me in the Christmas spirit. Hate to pass on up on the deal for EU England unless it's just a wash with Global + Europe LC.

11 hours ago, StCorbiniansBear said:

I just wondering if airports like EGGW got any enhancements, and what the real benefit, even small, would be with EU England.

EU England does enhance many of the default airports.  I don't know if, or how much, EGGW was enhanced.

Not at my sim PC now, but I'll try to post a couple screenshots later today of EGGW in EU England and also TrueEarth Great Britain.

EU England also adds a bunch of Points of Interest, as do the TE Great Britain regions, so there is added benefit over the Global + Vector + openLC scenery.  

Here are a few shots of EGGW with EU England and TrueEarth Great Britain that you can compare to your current Global Base + Vector + openLC.

1266354248_EGGW1-EUENG.thumb.jpg.d55c022f9f07513d25a7462e4a74ee5e.jpg

199558784_EGGW1-TEGB.thumb.jpg.1bf4891a33c65115e0e3bf3c27312ff4.jpg

1499366367_EGGW2-EUENG.thumb.jpg.c9ca919c526415c542d97ce8ec4d8c49.jpg

1475641420_EGGW2-TEGB.thumb.jpg.462391dcb6c3afa9c7f3dc5ab83fb72f.jpg

56208923_EGGW3-EUENG.thumb.jpg.d2f3402cd667961cf47eb80d63acc9b0.jpg

1991904_EGGW3-TEGB.thumb.jpg.0410b60e7661936740a0a9f61baecf56.jpg

Hope that helps a bit.

BTW, because it is photoreal based scenery, TrueEarth scenery takes up a LOT more disk space than the older land class based EU England. 

It can be more demanding on PC performance too.

Hope that helps.

Edit:  You can replicate my screenshots by going to the P3D Map and entering the Lat/Long, Altitude, and Heading data from the upper left corner of my screenshots.

This is what I have now, with a third-party airport that Orbx doesn't make and just Europe. Court Line did not give their L1011 pilots any extra runway at Luton. It doesn't look bad at all, but England EU looks a little better... HF1 introduced weird drop-offs at the end of runways. I'm wondering if a mesh product would help. Also, I don't believe photo scenery has seasonal changes, which are nice. I'll take a close look at the products and see. You've really been helpful, Matt. Thanks for taking the time with an old baffled bear.

2020-11-29_16-19-40-70.jpg

On 11/29/2020 at 2:29 PM, StCorbiniansBear said:

I'm wondering if a mesh product would help. Also, I don't believe photo scenery has seasonal changes, which are nice. I'll take a close look at the products and see. You've really been helpful, Matt. Thanks for taking the time with an old baffled bear.

Understanding what the different layers of scenery contain, which products contain which layers, and which ones take priority over others in the sim can certainly be confusing.

I've been using FreeMeshX (from Nine Two Productions) for years.  It it freeware!    In Europe is has 38m resolution, where the default is only 76m. 

Orbx's EU England includes 10m mesh which is even better.  The sim will just automatically use the best resolution from what you have installed.

Lots of threads about mesh here in the forum, some with screenshots.

You are correct that photo scenery typically does not have seasonal change to the photoreal ground textures. 

Some will change the 3D vegetation placed over that ground texture.  The Orbx product descriptions will typically say something like "Summer only".

I'm not sure how MSFS has managed to do snow, but it does!