I have the following spec. PC:

Intel Kabylake i7 7th Gen. 7700K 4.2Ghz/4.5Ghz Turbo 

32GB ADATA DDR4 2400MHz Memory  

Western Digital  M2 1TB SSD 

NVidia GTX1070 8GB DDR5 Graphics Card

Im running MSFS2020 on it and it runs very well with High/Ultra settings. 

I have a standard Ilyama 27” 1080 HDMI Monitor and I’m very happy with it.

However, I’m seeing people’s results on 4K monitors and wondering about upgrading to the same size monitor Ilyama monitor as a 4K.

Anyine know how more demanding a 4K monitor will be on my system / graphics card?

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, paulk said:

However, I’m seeing people’s results on 4K monitors and wondering about upgrading to the same size monitor Ilyama monitor as a 4K.

Anyine know how more demanding a 4K monitor will be on my system / graphics card?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Your system is too light for 4k. 1440p resolution is the maximum you can use in good and decent condition and with a maximum size of 32 inch. monitor.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Stillwater said:

I do not know that sim, Paul, but you can see my well-working specs from the "hidden contents" below.

4K on a 32" rulez!

I bet You play on low quality settings, 1060 on ultra @4K is unplayable with it’s 10fps.

9 hours ago, paulk said:

Thanks in advance.

Look at this chart https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/microsoft_flight_simulator_(2020)_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,8.html and see what to expect @ 4K resolution if You change from ultra to high settings You will gain like 6fps. With graphics card You have I would stay @ 1080p for smooth gameplay, until You will have resources to buy 2070 or faster graphics card.

4 minutes ago, PiotrMKG said:

I bet You play on low quality settings, 1060 on ultra @4K is unplayable with it’s 10fps.

I do not remember the level of my settings (and why should I care), I am just pleased with the look and performance. Definetively playable, that is what my experience shows.

16 hours ago, FILOU said:

Hello,

Your system is too light for 4k. 1440p resolution is the maximum you can use in good and decent condition and with a maximum size of 32 inch. monitor.

Hello,

I must agree.

I have a 1070ti and in emulated 4k on a 2k screen the frame rate is not enough for a smooth experience.

More importantly, it really does not look much better either.

Hi Everyone

Thanks to all who responded.

Two questions if I may:

1) Filou, if I changed Graphics Card only and nothing else on my system are you saying 4k monitor would work well then or are the spec's on my 3 year old PC also a little tired?

2) Nick, I'm a Yorkshire man myself, seeing your entry: More importantly, it really does not look much better either. I could possible save my money and go no further at this moment in time if the difference isn't massive anyway. Unless other are saying different.

I have to say I love all the new Orbx and partners scenery in MSFS 2020 and am very happy with everything.

• Like 1

Hello,

just to be quite clear, I am only saying that 4k does not look much different to 2k on my very ordinary 2k monitor.

Certainly not better enough to warrant the loss of performance.

I don't have a 4k monitor because of the very reason referred to by Filou, my hardware is not quite good enough.

If and it's a big if, I decide to go for one of the new AMD or Nvidia cards that are at present virtually impossible to

order, never mind receive, then I might reconsider.

My own personal choice was to upgrade from 1080 to 1440, 1k to 2k, because it meant just buying a monitor.

I have a 31 1/2 inch AOC monitor (others are available and Black Friday is just around the corner) that does not cost

much and does the job well enough for me.

In fact, I liked it so much, I now have two of them.:smile:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, paulk said:

Hi Everyone

Thanks to all who responded.

Two questions if I may:

1) Filou, if I changed Graphics Card only and nothing else on my system are you saying 4k monitor would work well then or are the spec's on my 3 year old PC also a little tired?

2) Nick, I'm a Yorkshire man myself, seeing your entry: More importantly, it really does not look much better either. I could possible save my money and go no further at this moment in time if the difference isn't massive anyway. Unless other are saying different.

I have to say I love all the new Orbx and partners scenery in MSFS 2020 and am very happy with everything.

You are welcome,

You will produce an imbalance and waste the potential of this possible new graphics card.

1) Change only your Monitor by switching to 1440p.

2) sell your PC to invest in a new one efficient and balanced for the goal you set for yourself.

3) Do nothing.

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

just to be quite clear, I am only saying that 4k does not look much different to 2k on my very ordinary 2k monitor.

Certainly not better enough to warrant the loss of performance.

I don't have a 4k monitor because of the very reason referred to by Filou, my hardware is not quite good enough.

If and it's a big if, I decide to go for one of the new AMD or Nvidia cards that are at present virtually impossible to

order, never mind receive, then I might reconsider.

My own personal choice was to upgrade from 1080 to 1440, 1k to 2k, because it meant just buying a monitor.

I have a 31 1/2 inch AOC monitor (others are available and Black Friday is just around the corner) that does not cost

much and does the job well enough for me.

In fact, I liked it so much, I now have two of them.:smile:

I have a 4k monitor and my GTX 1080 is definitely not powerful enough to face all situations.

So I lowered my resolution to 1440p.Well I prefer this image quality and this fluidity comfort.

I find the quality of my 4k monitor not very good even visually inferior to 1440p.

But some people who use some 4k TVs like LG OLED48CX the result is very impressive as well as the price.

I am also at a time when I will have to change my pc and my first choice was to be the I5-10600k (I think this is what you have Nick) with the RTX3080.

But with the announcements of AMD and the tests I will probably go to Ryzen 5600x + Radeon RX 6800 XT to stay in a reasonable financial context.

• Like 3

Just to chime in here

Been in this dilemma too, have let my monitors creep up in resolution over the years for a while now, honestly, the amount of monitors I've went through and higher resolutions is crazy ... the leap to 4K viewing is not as drastic as some may think money wise, but do you really need the fastest refresh dedicated 4K monitor? for highly competitive shooter games, perhaps?

But at the grand old age of 61 now have found through trial and error that pretty much any of the newly released 4K TV's are perfectly fine for Flight Simulation usage.

Got involved in this sort of discussion a while back on another highly focused combat FS enthusiast forum and settled on a very nice and affordable Samsung 55" 4K TV to check out what the buzz was all about, first hand :)

For 4K its a a big difference, its not immediately obvious, but if you can switch back and forth for testing the advantages will become apparent, 4K will need more GPU grunt though, so please take that into consideration too.

Modern large screen 4K TV's are a more than adequate monitoring solution for Flight simulation, tried some early LCD TV's and it was horrible, modern large screen 4K TV's are more than fine for most flight simmers.

Even browsing the net just now is fine on my Samsung 4K TV/Monitor is fine, Its scalable from tiny text to large text as any dedicated monitor could do, its fine for Flight Simulation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are the latest reference tables for MSFS 2020.

1440P / ULTRA MSFS Quality / if you choose the High MSFS Quality and not ULTRA you will get almost double in FPS in the best case.

5lrZCGq.png

4K / Ultra MSFS Quality / If you choose the High MSFS Quality and not ULTRA you will get almost double in FPS in the best case.

CmcogPO.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1