active KSTS Sonoma and KRDD Redding ... lots of enjoyment!

I'm still flying FSX, and I especially love KRDD.  I am on the cusp of upgrading to P3D, but I'm agonizing over whether to go for 4.5 or 5.1.  My problem with 5.1 is the compatibility issues, including, among others Orbx KRDD and KBLU.  Other issues are hardware related: will my VRInsight transponder work with 5.1 ( or 4.5, for that matter)?  But if Orbx will indicate a plan to make the rest of their airports compatible it will make my decision easier.

Hi Ken, 

I will be sticking with v4.5 a while yet. Still plenty of life left in the “old” sim and its rock solid for stability. Not to mention it supports all of these Orbx masterpieces. 

I have a GTX1080 and I’m nervous about the vram challenges that people report. Saving up for a RTX3080 next year. 

Take care,

Dan

Thanks Dan,

Greatly appreciate the input.  My inclination too, but not an easy decision.  From my POV MSFS is a non starter.  After investing perhaps $3,000 in a cockpit    I'm not going to go back to the mouse and keyboard. Also I fly the Mooney; none of the aircraft appeal. So it will be P3D in one version or the other .  Probably not doing anything before January.  See then! But my gut feeling is that you are right.  

Ken

I understand completely. I have made a large investment in addons for P3D after upgrading from FS9 back in 2017. MSFS certainly has some nice graphics but leaves me disappointed with the default airports and some what functional default aircraft. I miss the PMDG, Majestic Q400, FSLabs and GTN750 quality addons too much and I was happy to put MSFS aside for now.  To be honest I bought it as a somewhat impulse buy for two reasons... one version has the DV20 which 95% of my real world flight time is in and the promise of the upcoming PMDG NG3 addon which I have a discount for when it eventually arrives. 

Another patch (or two?) may come along for P3Dv5 eventually. After all it took until version 4.5 to really solidify P3Dv4 into the stable sim that it is. 

Dan

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...