Anyone using current high end AMD graphic cards these days for Flight Sim?

AMD Big Navi GPU specs released tomorrow I've just read? Perhaps that's wrong? but soon, not sure when launch is or when stock will be available in these strange times.

Its looking crazy good for AMD to be doing so well with their new CPU launch on Nov 5th, already bought a new appropriate Motherboard, Ram, Cooler in preparation for this and this is a guy that has been using Intel exclusively for 10 years + for flight sim, no hesitation switching on this front to AMD CPU's now though, LOL. counting down the days even :)

My question though, is anyone using a current high end AMD GPU in FS2020/P3Dv5/DCS and suchlike, are you honestly satisfied with the driver support, image quality ETC, will you be considering one of the new AMD GPU's coming soon or are you waiting for the new RTX 30xx stock to catch up and choose from them?

If the overwhelming indication current gen AMD GPU users are content in FS sims, then this might indicate Big Navi is as good too?

So used to using Nvidia too for so long and grown used to tools for tweaking their cards, software like Nvidia Inspector ETC.

Had my mind set on the long wait until perhaps early 2021 for an Nvidia RTX 3090 24GB, but now considering seriously going Big Navi if the price/spec/availability is good.

Just wondering how folk are doing with current high end AMD GPU's, totally out of the loop about them just now, know Nvidia still lead benchmark wise for pretty much everything, but Big Navi might change that? It could be a good alternative for those of us who cant buy a new RTX 30xx.

Oh, on 4K here now, so probably looking at a card with lots of VRAM.

Watching the launch video now, WOW, will be going AMD 6900XT for sure, just hope there is plenty of stock on launch day, decent pricing too, WTG AMD

On 10/28/2020 at 5:52 AM, PiotrMKG said:

I have a friend that has 5700XT and he is happy with it, ca. 40fps@1440p on ultra  and 50+ on high end settings.

Does he use it for Flight Sim? is he satisfied with the driver quality do you know please?

About the only thing I've read about regarding AMD GPU's in my current research is that some users are unhappy with driver support? Not sure if that would extend to this new launch even if true though? Perhaps its guys that own both Nvidia and AMD GPU's and have a preferance, some folk can get tribal over competing brands of PC hardware for some reason, LOL.

Cant remember the last time I used an AMD GPU or what model it was? 10 + years or more easily, cant remember anything particularly bad about them either from those old days, just that FSX for sure preferred Nvidia, but we've all moved on since then and so has tech.

Pretty much made my mind up for an AMD 6900XT GPU on release if I can get one release day though, that and an AMD 5950X CPU. I already have motherboard/ram/cooler waiting here for.

I hear what you say about Ray Tracing, to be honest I'm not bothered about RT I do not have any games or sims that support it or know of any coming out I'd like that do either, its the raw grunt of these cards I'm interested in for 4K that appeals to me, perhaps next time I upgrade a GPU in 3 years or so RT tech will be more mature and there will be more supported RT titles, perhaps even an RT Flight Sim title :)

Cheers.

• Like 1

He is using it for  MSFS along with Valorant, CS:GO and other games, and Yes he is satisfied, and willing to buy 6900XT when in stock.

Drivers are the weakest point of AMD, it takes some time before they are good, but they said that they are taking extra effort to make them good from start this time, so we will have to wait and see how it will be.

I’ve been using nvidia cards since riva tnt and now I’m considering buying 6800XT in early spring, hope by this time availability will be sufficient and drivers sorted.

Edited by PiotrMKG
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, PiotrMKG said:

He is using it for  MSFS along with Valorant, CS:GO and other games, and Yes he is satisfied, and willing to buy 6900XT when in stock.

Drivers are the weakest point of AMD, it takes some time before they are good, but they said that they are taking extra effort to make them good from start this time, so we will have to wait and see how it will be.

I’ve been using nvidia cards since riva tnt and now I’m considering buying 6800XT in early spring, hope by this time availability will be sufficient and drivers sorted.

Thanks Piotr, that is encouraging. I think third party tester NDA lifts day before official release of CPU and GPU, so we should know more then too, but its looking like a full AMD build for me now, hopefully there is plenty of stock on release day.