Poll: Which simulator are you currently using?

The simulator you are using  

313 members have voted

1. 1. Which simulator are you currently using?

• Prepar3d v5.x
    • Prepar3d v4.x
    • Prepar3d v1 - v3
    • MSFS (2020)
    • FSX, any version
    • FS2004 or below
    • XPlane 11
    • XPlane 10 or below
    • Aerofly FS 2

Hi,

I'm curious to know which simulator people are using. Please pick your sim(s) of choice.

You can choose more than one sim.

That said, it seems Innsbruck for Aerofly FS2 vanished from the Orbx Direct store... :huh: Either I missed the announcement or I just can't find it at the moment.

Thank you very much for leaving your vote.

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

Yes, and it is not clickable.

Interesting , it was clickable for me but I already own them , another Sim to the scrap heap . :o:(

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

No problem here, I just added LOWI for Aerofly to my cart (just for testing, I already own it B)).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only important poll is the one that Orbx sees with its sales of products for each of the sims.
Hopefully, there's enough coming in for each of P3D v4/v5 and XP11 to see new products continue to be made for them.

OG20 and KBCE-sized airfields and cityscapes like Sydney are the only products of some interest to me in MSFS right now.
Until a decent payware airliner shows up in MSFS, I'll continue to buy scenery for P3D - I suspect that I'm not the only one thinking that.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Hi my friend

I thought of doing this too!, so thanks a lot for the proactivity

I used to launch P3D v4.5 daily. I could start 08:00 am and end 1:00 am next day. Now If I launch it 30 minutes in two weeks is a lot to say

I launch it when I need to fly PMDG or go to an Orbx airport I miss otherwise I'm most of the time on MSFS therefore I only marked MSFS.

I didn't expect this though but the realism MSFS provides is incredible. The sensation... you just can't avoid staring at so many places

It got me

It needs improvement yet but the jump/advance in technology we have done is out of question. I just can't image what the future will bring

I'll send you some pictures

Regards,

Carlos

Edited by carlosqr
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

It fooled me too.

The word Aerofly is just the heading and the products are behind Europe and North America below it.

The Aerofly heading used to be at the top, next to all the other headings.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

It fooled me too.

The word Aerofly is just the heading and the products are behind Europe and North America below it.

The Aerofly heading used to be at the top, next to all the other headings.

:o Now I see it...

So no funeral for ASF2 :D

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Hi my friend

I thought of doing this too!, so thanks a lot for the proactivity

I used to launch P3D v4.5 daily. I could start 08:00 am and end 1:00 am next day. Now If I launch it 30 minutes in two weeks is a lot to say

I launch it when I need to fly PMDG or go to an Orbx airport I miss otherwise I'm most of the time on MSFS therefore I only marked MSFS.

I didn't expect this though but the realism MSFS provides is incredible. The sensation... you just can't avoid staring at so many places

It got me

It needs improvement yet but the jump/advance in technology we have done is out of question. I just can't image what the future will bring

I'll send you some pictures

Regards,

Carlos

Thanks, Carlos, I'm going to have a look!

• Like 2
14 hours ago, F737NG said:

The only important poll is the one that Orbx sees with its sales of products for each of the sims.

They can only see something meaningful if they create new add on for these sims...

Gérard

I would dare to say Orbx reads everything we write. Either one or another member of the staff does but nothing escapes the eye.

If you were a company like Orbx this poll would interest you for sure. It is the community expressing their preferences and how positioned each sim is. This helps where to focus or prioritize products, obviously, the decision is internal and not shared at all but this is an entertained and helpful indicative. Besides, it is fun for all of us as community to take-part. A space to friendly share your preferences :) 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Ken Terry said:

What amazes me is only 102 people voted so far.

I don't know the number of members of the Orbx forum but it might be 100,000?

Ken

Many people are just subscribed to the forums but never take a look or even write something. 102 people in just over one day is quite a lot.

1 hour ago, Ken Terry said:

What amazes me is only 102 people voted so far.

I don't know the number of members of the Orbx forum but it might be 100,000?

Ken

Hi Ken

Bottom of forums page

Total members - 97,532 

Cheers

R

• Like 2

Maybe I could share this poll on other sites just to gather more opinions as I did with the Land classes ones.

Some fellows might be just too busy flying and are not aware yet, also is weekend and others might have just bought a few Orbx products that might not visit often the forum but could be interested in sharing an opinion..

I'll give it a try, we loose nothing trying to collect data from outside besides works to bring attention to Orbx for those newbies 

Cheers

Carlos

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s an interesting conundrum.  The scenery makers are in, boots and all.  The ‘top line’ aircraft makers are going it’s not ready.  Where the user sits possibly depends on which of those camps they belong in.  Then there are those that have both and swap as they see fit.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Ed Correia said:

The Navigraph annual survey is coming up which we again will be encouraging the community to partake in.

Never trust a survey you didn't make up yourself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Never trust a survey you didn't make up yourself.

An odd statement. We are given the opportunity to review and contribute to the survey and we find the results extremely informative and therefore encourage many to partake. 

• Like 4

Thanks, Lars.  So far there is a higher percentage of folks using FSX and P3D than MSFS. 

Despite the great scenery in MSFS, I'm using P3Dv4 full-time, and will be doing so for at least another year or longer.  MSFS has a long way to go before it's a decent flight simulator IMO.

The only scenery I'm interested in at all from Orbx are openLC and other scenery addons that work on a global or continental scale like HD Buildings and Terraflora.

I'm still holding out hope for openLC Asia.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Sorry to disagree, Dave. Yes, I would have eagerly waited for and bought OpenLC Asia for Prepar3d up until a year or even half a year ago, but no longer now. I know Japan and parts of Russia in LC-based sceneries (not Orbx) in Prepar3d and I know the same regions in MSFS. The difference is just too big to make me ever fly VFR over any LC-based regions anymore.

I made a flight from Casablanca to Marrakesh, VFR at 2000-3000 ft, in MSFS yesterday. I've done this same flight in Orbx OpenLC Africa in Prepar3d and earlier in naked Prepar3d before, all under similar conditions. No doubt, OpenLC Africa is a big advantage over naked Prepar3d and is a very fine product. However, seeing the real desert with real structures below in MSFS is just another class and feeling. And this is naked MSFS, no addon active in this region so far.  (I thought about screenshots but these might violate the Orbx screenshot policy. I might post a series at AVSIM later.)

Sorry, I understand and accept your point of view, but disagree. I am afraid, while Asia would have been a hit earlier the OpenLC window is closing now.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Michael, even as a very convinced P3d v4 user (which won't change for quite some time), I agree with you. I've given up Asia in the FS world meanwhile. I don't really see the OpenLC series as a real VFR flying experience, but as an acceptable view outside the windows of the airliners, when there is a phase inflight when not too much is to do. I enjoy departures and approaches in the airliners because of OLC, but the (limited) time that I spend in a Piper Cub or similar, I spend over TE GB or sime FTX region with plenty of airfields availible (so mainly England, Scotland, PNW, California and maybe Australia), because they are simply too good to fly elsewhere.

Asia has been badly neglected concerning airports, at least in P3d v4. In FS9 and FSX it was better anyhow. But honestely, if there are so few good hotspots in Asia with so much "generic" space in between, there is no atmosphere for me when I fly to one of those, because there is no scenery infrastructure around it. I gave some of them a try: PacSim Manila, Taipei and Seoul, BinerSim Jakarta, WF Beijing, FlyTampa Dubai. But even if many of them are really good sceneries, they couldn't grow on me, because it felt like landing in the middle of a generic nowhere.

There's never been a region with a halfway "complete" airport infrastructure, like Thailand or the Philippines in times of FS9. So, why invest so much time in making a good LC for Asia when there's so little to fly to in this huge continent.

Similar problem with Africa. I purchased OLC Africa, but because of so few good sceneries, I end up in flying in the regions mentioned above instead.

Regards, Dominik

3 hours ago, Ed Correia said:

An odd statement. We are given the opportunity to review and contribute to the survey and we find the results extremely informative and therefore encourage many to partake. 

Your statement is odd. What I said is common knowledge and no statement regarding the Navigraph survey in particular. That said, absolutely no statistics you're presented with are objective.

2 hours ago, pmb said:

Sorry to disagree, Dave. Yes, I would have eagerly waited for and bought OpenLC Asia for Prepar3d up until a year or even half a year ago, but no longer now. I know Japan and parts of Russia in LC-based sceneries (not Orbx) in Prepar3d and I know the same regions in MSFS. The difference is just too big to make me ever fly VFR over any LC-based regions anymore.

I made a flight from Casablanca to Marrakesh, VFR at 2000-3000 ft, in MSFS yesterday. I've done this same flight in Orbx OpenLC Africa in Prepar3d and earlier in naked Prepar3d before, all under similar conditions. No doubt, OpenLC Africa is a big advantage over naked Prepar3d and is a very fine product. However, seeing the real desert with real structures below in MSFS is just another class and feeling. And this is naked MSFS, no addon active in this region so far.  (I thought about screenshots but these might violate the Orbx screenshot policy. I might post a series at AVSIM later.)

Sorry, I understand and accept your point of view, but disagree. I am afraid, while Asia would have been a hit earlier the OpenLC window is closing now.

Kind regards, Michael

Because everywhere someone is mentioning OpenLC Asia, the big letdown, some statement pops up explaining why it would be such a bad idea now to have an OpenLC for Asia: There are people that do not fly VFR. That are not interested in VFR. That are not interested in noisy whisks. That like flying big, sophisticated iron and look from a high altitude.

Apart from this, look at the survey that I made (and I didn't make this up, because I'm an honest surveyor): 44,65 % of simmers fly Prepar3D or a predecessor, only 35,5% fly MSFS. Despite the big hype. Will be awesome to watch how this develops. ;)

Edited by Captain Lars
  • Like 2
25 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

Your statement is odd. What I said is common knowledge and no statement regarding the Navigraph survey in particular. That said, absolutely no statistics you're presented with are objective.

Still not sure what you are getting at. I merely commented that there was a broader survey that is coming out that we will take interest in the results. If you thought I was making light of this poll then apologies if that was the impression.

17 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

There are people that do not fly VFR. That are not interested in VFR. That are not interested in noisy whisks. That like flying big, sophisticated iron and look from a high altitude.

Agreed, and these would be potential customers indeed. However, a lot of them will switch to MSFS as soon as their "study level" toys will become available in MSFS. At least that's what I keep reading in fora. Your survey is a snapshot less than 2 months after the release of MSFS. Navigraph usually asks (d.g.) for intented switches between sims which will be another important factor for future add-on developers.

You may know I spoke/voted for OpenLC Asia in several topics over many years and still regret it wasn't realized in time. But now I think it's game over.

Kind regards, Michael 

3 hours ago, Ed Correia said:

Still not sure what you are getting at. I merely commented that there was a broader survey that is coming out that we will take interest in the results. If you thought I was making light of this poll then apologies if that was the impression.

I was quoting a well known saying in Germany that we – wrongly, I think – attribute to Winston Churchill. Sorry for the inconvenience caused, I think it wasn't as clear as I thought. I was speaking generally and not aiming at the Navigraph survey, which, however sophisticated or useful it might be for developers, could not account for the fun I and apparently other patrons here have with a little poll for fun and information. 

Edited by Captain Lars
3 hours ago, pmb said:

Agreed, and these would be potential customers indeed. However, a lot of them will switch to MSFS as soon as their "study level" toys will become available in MSFS. At least that's what I keep reading in fora. Your survey is a snapshot less than 2 months after the release of MSFS. Navigraph usually asks (d.g.) for intented switches between sims which will be another important factor for future add-on developers.

You may know I spoke/voted for OpenLC Asia in several topics over many years and still regret it wasn't realized in time. But now I think it's game over.

Kind regards, Michael 

I cannot exclude myself from the list of people that might switch to MSFS one distant day. However, Prepar3D will likely stay a considerable market in the sim industry. Orbx can decide if they think an OpenLC is viable or not, based on their own views, surveys and what not. As for the customers, OpenLC makes sense for a lot of them. Surveys like this help to see how big the market share really is.

In the survey - I didn't tick the MSFS - because I am disappointed with it - mainly because in my usage - it doesn't

look like a lot of the blurb we saw for the 12 months - before launch - and I dislike the method of trying to set up 

the aircraft controls for the default Aircraft - (except the 150) - which stay constant.

To satisfy myself as to Michael's test in Africa - I recently took a p3D 5  OLC Orbx Africa flight from Cairo to Mombassa 

via Killamanjaro and a few snapshots made.  I flew the FA 50 biz jet at 8000'

To-day - I fired up MSFS for the first time for a while and after the latest update - managed to get an aircraft to fly

- the Bonanza - took off from the local airfield - and took identical shots from the same position and heights

To be truthful - the long distance shots approaching the Volcano -were very much the same - but the P3D close ups

were a little better (smoother) than the MSFS - only because the latter seemed to be more Digitised with sharpening

Obviously - we all have our different views of all our sims - and seemingly only half of the respondents ticked off MSFS -

which we all seem to agree will be the main Sim - say within 1 - 2 - years which is what the other 2 Sims took to get to a

reasonable useful Sim. 

What we don't know - is how many ticked off both P3D and  MSFS ?? - thus clouding any use this survey may be interpreted

One choice only would be better to make it meaningful as to a comparison between the sims

• Upvote 1

@dave302

Of course there are still more users of the different FSX/P3d versions. It would be very alarming for LM, if a new sim which was released just 2 month ago had already overtaken sims which are on the market for many years. Also you must not forget, that this is the Orbx website which ist mainly frequented by owners of Orbx sceneries. And since so far Orbx has released many more sceneries for FSX/P3d than for MSFS, the visitors of these forums and partizipants at the poll are of course mainly users of the older sims.

16 hours ago, pmb said:

Sorry to disagree, Dave.

No problem.  We all have our opinions.  I fly mostly airliners, so MSFS just isn't a good option for me right now.  For example, PMDG just announced that it will be 12+ months, which in PMDG-speak likely means 18 months, until the 737 is available.  I don't want to wait that long, so I will keep using P3D.

For low and slow flying MSFS is great, although it still has numerous bugs and needs a lot of improvement IMO.  The weather is a huge disappointment, for example.

22 minutes ago, wolfko said:

Of course there are still more users of the different FSX/P3d versions

I'm not so sure this would be expected.  If MSFS was all it was cracked up to be, then I believe a lot more people would be using it than the other sims.  Anyhow, I'd like to know how many people chose *both* P3D and MSFS, as those dual selections are meaningless if one is trying to directly compare the two sims.  I think a poll asking "which is your *primary* sim?", allowing only a single selection, would be more revealing.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, John Heaton said:

What we don't know - is how many ticked off both P3D and  MSFS ?? - thus clouding any use this survey may be interpreted

I ticked all the simulators I am currently using.  Obviously not all at once, but most days I am using P3DV4 and MSFS, as they are both for different uses at this stage.  I also quite often use a number of other sims, including Aerofly FS2, XP11, DCS World.  I am even considering installing FSX again so I can fly the PMDG MD-11!

• Like 1
On 10/18/2020 at 3:28 AM, Ed Correia said:

The Navigraph annual survey is coming up which we again will be encouraging the community to partake in.

The majority of Navigraph users are heavy iron and bizjets flyers, which have not moved to MSFS for obvious reasons. So the results of this survey won't be objective IMO.

• Like 1

Uninstalled P3D & Xplane upon the release of MSFS2020. For me personally, I have no interest in reinstalling either and skip over any product that doesn't include MSFS in the title. I have never flown, or have interest in anything beyond a small GA in a sim though. Everyone will have their own styles and wants and no ones will be correct or incorrect.

The more choice the better and the last couple of years have been fantastic to be a simmer.  

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, wolfko said:

The majority of Navigraph users are heavy iron and bizjets flyers, which have not moved to MSFS for obvious reasons. So the results of this survey won't be objective IMO.

OK. So you are stating the Navigraph survey might be biased because of the people using Navigraph charts flying heavy iron and thus staying with P3D. Your statement:

5 hours ago, wolfko said:

Also you must not forget, that this is the Orbx website which ist mainly frequented by owners of Orbx sceneries. And since so far Orbx has released many more sceneries for FSX/P3d than for MSFS, the visitors of these forums and partizipants at the poll are of course mainly users of the older sims.

In contrary, the VFR flyers which over proportionately frequent the Orbx forums, they don't make this poll biased towards MSFS? :rolleyes:;)

This back and forth is slowly going to not end well. 

if you want to vote in this poll, do so and move on. 

No more debates and opinions here please. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1