Jump to content

AMD is launching the fastest gaming CPU in the world .... Oh boy !


Recommended Posts

Ok, so wrt MSFS2020, I figured I finally got all my hardware issues ironed out once I learned about Nvidia's RTX3000 series cards which would pair nicely with an i9 10900k (after all MSFS still is centric to one core, ... for now). Who can argue with single core boost clock speed of up to 5.3GHz ? Only drawback was the dated chip architecture (still not 7nm).

 

Now AMD is closing the single core performance gap with the Ryzen5000 series.

https://www.techpowerup.com/273133/amd-launches-amd-ryzen-5000-series-desktop-processors-the-fastest-gaming-cpus-in-the-world

 

Not only are these fast, but also multicore and using a refined 7nm node, all of which makes them quite future-proof.

Any thoughts on this AMD vs Intel dilemma with respect to a system running MSFS2020  ?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

MSFS uses 4 cores so probbably anything more than 8 is overkill. We have to wait for independent benchmarks to be sure about performance but if You like to do some productivity stuff besides gaming then AMD is the way to go. MSFS needs to be updated to DX12 to gain more performance until then 50fps is the limit whatever hardware You throw at it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As MSFS matures and moves to DirectX 12, it will be able to effectively use more than 4 cores (this was covered in one of their development update videos about a week ago). Then there are all the things people increasingly run outside of their sim to enhance the experience. I would want to have more than 4 going forward, but sixteen threads/cores is probably overkill.

 

AMD has been playing catch-up to Intel for decades. The jump on that ship during their brief ascendency is probably short-sighted. And for what it is worth, NVidia has completely left AMD in the dust on both drivers/stability and performance for many years on the GPU front. The best "gaming" performance is still an Nvidia GPU with an Intel CPU.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seanmo said:

As MSFS matures and moves to DirectX 12, it will be able to effectively use more than 4 cores (this was covered in one of their development update videos about a week ago). Then there are all the things people increasingly run outside of their sim to enhance the experience. I would want to have more than 4 going forward, but sixteen threads/cores is probably overkill.

 

AMD has been playing catch-up to Intel for decades. The jump on that ship during their brief ascendency is probably short-sighted. And for what it is worth, NVidia has completely left AMD in the dust on both drivers/stability and performance for many years on the GPU front. The best "gaming" performance is still an Nvidia GPU with an Intel CPU.


Nobody has tested FS2020 with one of the new Ryzen CPU's yet, agree on Nvidia still, AMD Big NAVI is due soon, but what I hear from the grapevine wont be as fast as Nvidia's latest RTX 3xxx high end card launch, RTX3080 and RTX 3090, just how much behind, nobody knows yet, but we cant buy a new RTX3xxx for love nor money just now, so unless you are one of the few lucky ones who got one on launch, we have a long wait for current back order allocations to be filled with wide spread availability not likely before early 2021 Nvidia them selves say :(  I'll wait though because I do fancy an RTX 3090  24GB cared or potential/rumoured RTX 3080 Ti 20 GB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Nvidia RTX3000 series cards are almost a no-brainer for new system builds running MSFS2020, but the CPU (Intel vs AMD) remains the big question. Right now, the i9 10900k seems to be the one to go with, but when/if MSFS goes full multicore capable then perhaps AMD will have the advantage.

 

Doug Sawatzky from the Orbx team is a big proponent of the AMD CPUs  (7nm lithography) . I wonder what his take would be on this latest news from AMD ?

Edited by MZee1960
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MZee1960 said:

The Nvidia RTX3000 series cards are almost a no-brainer for new system builds running MSFS2020, but the CPU (Intel vs AMD) remains the big question. Right now, the i9 10900k seems to be the one to go with, but when/if MSFS goes full multicore capable then perhaps AMD will have the advantage.

 

Doug Sawatzky from the Orbx team is a big proponent of the AMD CPUs  (7nm lithography) . I wonder what his take would be on this latest news from AMD ?

 

I don't think Nvidia RTX3000 series cards or the i9 10900k are going to be no brainers for very long, if at all.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uWXfoX1x3A

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rzWWBPQzf4

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like Direct X12 on the way.
Great news, as MSFS2020  'till now was very CPU and single core limited.
Now the upcoming AMD Ryzen 9 5950X and the new Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 are strong candidates for new (but pricey) system builds.

The AMD chip has apparently now broken the 5 GHz barrier in some tests.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...x-zen-3-review

A very good GPU comparison video :
https://youtu.be/Dx3gzmfOOXw

(Note what he says at 12:40 mark onwards.)

Edited by MZee1960
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MZee1960 said:


Great news, as MSFS2020  'till now was very CPU and single core limited.
Now the upcoming AMD Ryzen 9 5950X and the new Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 are strong candidates for new (but pricey) system builds.

MSFS DX11 uses up to 24 of my 3900X 24 threads, and does not hammer the first core much more than any other. It most definitely is NOT a single thread program - on Ryzen, at least. About 4 threads are lightly used.

 

Intel cpus seem to hammer 1 core much more, and I think the cause is rooted in the old Intel DNA that biassed cpu performance for single threaded applications, and they just seem to resist shedding the load off to other threads.

Heck, my old R1700 would run up to 100% on all 16 threads with 4K P3Dv4, yet my Intel buddies would not get much at all on their other threads. The Intel cpu had to hammer the bej..sus out of that 1 working thread to get it's good performance, and is why overclocking an Intel cpu made so much difference. You had to.

 

Asobo have said that thread 1 apportions the tasks/load to other threads, and I expect it is built with smarts to know how much cpu resources are available. They are planning to improve and increase use of more threads in the future.

 

But, deffo, if Intel, yes I agree with you - single thread limited in MSFS.

 

FWIW, I get up to 100% on 24 threads with P3Dv4.5 at 4K TrueEarth and FranceVFR, completely maxed World sliders, in some areas, but in calmer areas sits mostly at 25 to 50% on 24 threads. The GTX 1080 runs at mid memory. Load is biassed to CPU. Good smooth performance.

P3Dv5  HF2 runs a little less cpu and more GPU  . Performance biassed to GPU. Good smooth performance.

2 days ago did a clean install of P3Dv5.1 and then all Orbx including TrueEarth. I get pretty even usage on all 24 threads up to 60% total cpu load, and the first thread about 50% others are higher load, for takeoff and low flying, then drops to a varying load averaged around 25 - 40% on all 24 for cross country.

 

Just looked now at MSFS cpu load. At 4K Ultra (junk settings off).*  Initially 60% cpu load - all 24 threads used. 8 - 10 threads very high usage (up to 100% but first thread not as high as others), about 1/3 of threads at middle load, and 4 - 6 threads at light load.

 

* Junk settings - anything not related to max detail in the scenery eg DoF, windscreen reflections etc. The scaling is 100% at 4K.

I'm happy that with my Ryzen cpu I get to use all the cpu capacity I paid for, and it pays out in smooth performance.

 Intel, with its old DNA might not let you use all of the cpu performance that you paid for.

Edited by ozboater
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank-you,  @ozboater, for all the added info re Intel CPU's. 

 

Just a quick search on YT regarding the upcoming Ryzen 9 5k Series CPU's yields much favoritism toward the AMD line with many comments focusing on their 7nm DNA.

 

On the GPU side of things ..... will be interesting how the new AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT will compare to the RTX 3090 using Ryzen 9 5950k CPU in both cases in MSFS.  The 'NOTAM' YouTube channel will test once available.

Edited by MZee1960
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...