I was reading through Aerosoft forums and in few topics Mathijs Kok wrote that sales of P3D addons crashed since FS launch. For now they do not plan starting any new Prepar3D project, they will continue with what was started prior FS launch, and they will make updates to existing products but nothing new will be made. Only X Plane and FS addons are warranting profit so more addons for those two platforms will be made. My question is do Orbx too see drop in Prepar3D addons sales? I know that we have to take into account mass volume of sales of Prepar3D and FS. Prepar3D v5 was sold to like 20k customers vs FS found it’s way to ca. 2M. Even if only 1% of customers will start buying addons it will be massive spike in addon sales. 2020 maybe hard for Us economically but on software and hardware level it’s great year.

Just my opinion, but I am certainly not done with P3DV5, I plan  for it to be my simulator for the foreseeable future. I am sure I am not alone but may be in the minority.

Greg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 5
4 minutes ago, gregmorin said:

Just my opinion, but I am certainly not done with P3DV5, I plan  for it to be my simulator for the foreseeable future. I am sure I am not alone but may be in the minority.

Greg

I think that it will be similar to fs2004/FSX era. Until PMDG/Aerosoft/A2A/Flight Sim Labs release their aircrafts there will be lots of simmers staying with Prepar3D, after release more and more people will switch.

• Like 3

as somebody who flies airliners in V5, MSFS has limited appeal to me.  I have it and see great potential.  But it doesn't cater to my type of flying right now.  And recent news makes it sounds like its going to take longer than I originally thought. 

• Like 1

Many will  flight IFR come back to P3D after test MSFS ... Every update is a disaster. too many situations that lead to CTD ! 
My last flight test, I called the map ... CTD ... I'm not rermember my last CTD with P3D ! 
The A320 has a lot of bugs which are not resolved and no worthy line  aircraft before the end of 2021 ... 
P3D still has a good year of life front him !  
Shame for MSFS, because the weather module, clouds and TrueEarth style with super autogen for the whole world are very very great !
I dream about the stability of P3D with the weather and surrounding module of MSFS2020 ! 
But for now, I think left in the corner MSFS to next year, too many frustration with this simulator when you are only possible end 1 IFR flight on 2 only without CTD !   
It's just my opinion has 2 pennies  

Edited by Manuel Bigot
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 2
Posted (edited)

I have flown ca. 60h in A32NX and I had 1 (one) CTD due to strange OOM. What bothers me most is how crappy AP is on all of the planes.

Edited by PiotrMKG

I've got the feeling that Aerosoft praises some new developments a bit too much and early. Sure MSFS might have a big potential and be one of the main sims in future, if not THE simulator, because it unifies quite some advantages of all the longer existing things into one - something that other sims were never able to do complete.

But it's like with all new sims: When it is previwed, it's breathtaking. But when it's out and read first reviews, bug reports and see youtube videos of "avarage" simmers like you and me, it will be a bit annoying.

Not too long ago, P3d was celebrated THE sim of the future, and developers couldn't praise them enough about how well LM works together with the developers, how much they improve the former FSX code and what they would be able to make out of it. This seemed to change when X-Plane was suddenly there again for developers. And now you suddenly read a lot about how bad that marketing strategy of P3d was because of their EULA, the missing retail platforms, the unability to update the inbuild nav database, no in-game live weather,....

As a simmer, I can't really share this: Since P3d v4 came out, I didn't touch any other sim only a single time anymore, because it delivered exactly what the community has asked for such a long time: a very stable sim with a huge addon base at a great quality in the average and no more 32bit limit. When they introduced dynamic lighting and PBR they brought it over the top for me. So, I don't see a single reason to switch NOW, maybe anytime in the longer-term future, but flying 80% airliners/IFR and only 20% VFR, I will surely stay with P3d v4.5 for now. No need to even switch to v5, because v4 is now very "complete" as it is. It's the first time with so many really good quality addons in both the aircraft market (B737, 747, 757, 767, 777, A32X, A330, B717, Q400, MD-80, Learjet, the A2A series...) AND the scenery market (the Orbx world, FSDT, FSDG, FT, FB,...), let alone those extremely useful addons such as Active Sky, ChasePlane or FSUIPC.

I might be out of place here, but I'm still willing to invest into P3d v4 addons ...OK, if possible those ones that will be upgraded for MSFS for little money. The main reason not to invest too much into P3d anymore, is that fact that I've already got so much! A lot of important addons do exist, and I've got almose more stuff than I can fly to/with. It's more like niche regions that I would want to invest in.

On the other hand however, from the developers' point of view, I can understand that they want to push MSFS. If it's true that the customer base is so much bigger (and obviously it is), they can easily sell more products for a smaller price and make more profit in the end. If the P3d market is almost satisfied, then there might be people who still FLY in P3d for a longer time, but few oddballs like me who are willing to still spend a few bucks into P3d addons.

So, if I was new to the hobby, I would certainly go for MSFS. But I'm now, so I won't change my well running system and stay with the older sim this time.

• Like 6
27 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

for what it's worth, I think there is still plenty of life left in X Plane 11, FSX, P3D and even Fs9.

Each one has features that the others do not and allow the use of various and often

superb and irreplaceable addons, aircraft in particular.

Many will never be made for any other simulator because the developer or team

have moved on, sometimes even to the afterlife.

Arguably, the new simulator has few rivals in terms of "low and slow" VFR flight and I have

"visited" places that I will never do in real life and seen images of what is really there, instead

of a replication.

However, for those who prefer flight at 37,000 feet, intricate detail in their virtual cockpits and

aircraft models that reflect the real thing, P3D and even FSX are still the ideal choice.

There is a very bright glare in forums and in the countless influencers' and reviewers' videos that

is somewhat eclipsing the existing world wide simulators but it will, I think, die down and a sense

of perspective will be restored.

In a nutshell, they are all very good at what they do and to throw any of them away just because

there is a new one seems to me to be at the very least ill-advised.

This is just my personal view.

+1

What is often so sadly lacking in forums these days is a balanced perspective presented with respect for all others who also have contributed to the discussion.

Thank you 

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

Absolutely! In the past, I only got new sims because there was a bigger problem with the old sim that only the new sim would be able to solve (with the disadvantage to get all the addons working again).

But with P3d v4.5, there is simply no problem! So, no need to change anything.

• Like 1

I like certain aspects of MSFS and it's clearly a game changer for low and slow VFR.

That said, I bought TE SoCal on release day and it's opened up a whole swathe of the US South-West to do both VFR and high level IFR in P3D.
It might not be quite as pretty as MSFS, but I don't see MSFS being ready for decent airliner flights until about this time next year.
As such, I'l be buying more add-ons and using P3D more often than MSFS during the next 12 months.

I hope Orbx see that there is still demand for new products for the 'legacy' sims of XP and P3D.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I am another one that will still be buying products for P3D v 4.5 and v5. I agree with DeeJay above in that, for me, P3Dv 4.5 has everything I need and it runs extremely well on my system, with very high settings in 4k. So, bring on some new P3D scenery locations...I am in!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have always been a low and slow flyer, mainly C172, that's why I've always been with Orbx. I confess I am absolutely taken by MSFS. It was love at first sight when I was allowed to test it back in February and nothing changed since.

I still have all the other sims (P3D5, XP11, AFS2, plus even FSX) plus plenty of addons installed and don't see a reason to uninstall them anytime soon. However, when I think what to do with a couple of hours left in the evening, I always end up in MSFS. It's the sheer beauty and naturality of scenery and atmosphere which I've never seen before, not even in AeroflyFS2. So, in a sense, I made the switch and - Orbx may forgive me - only keep buying MSFS addons from this point. Stuffing four sims in parallel may be good for addon makers, but I just can't afford it.

Pure tubeliner pilots may feel otherwise, but I am sure most of them will make the switch as well as soon as their toys will become available in a year or so. And the A320 (accompanied with the community mod) may already now attract some of them.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 3
3 hours ago, DeeJay said:

It's the first time with so many really good quality addons in both the aircraft market (B737, 747, 757, 767, 777, A32X, A330, B717, Q400, MD-80, Learjet, the A2A series...) AND the scenery market (the Orbx world, FSDT, FSDG, FT, FB,...), let alone those extremely useful addons such as Active Sky, ChasePlane

This is so true

An this even more

3 hours ago, DeeJay said:

No need to even switch to v5, because v4 is now very "complete" as it is.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Each one has features that the others do not and allow the use of various and often

superb and irreplaceable addons, aircraft in particular.

I agree

I only have P3D and MSFS

Both have some good stuff like Fall in P3D which is a must! the snow is a lot better too, etc

You just need to set you mind on P3D mode or on MSFS mode to avoid your mind puts you on complaint/rant mode :lol: and always keeping in mind both are games not real stuff

Cheers

Carlos

• Like 2

I just bought two Orbx items for my P3D v5 setup, and will continue to buy for P3D v5 as it is very stable, full featured, and very enjoyable.

I do not have MSFS yet, and IMHO it will be more than a year before MSFS is a stable and full (?) featured product and at that point I will run MSFS on XBox X.

• Like 1

I have said before - I was one of the first to hit the download button at 1 min past midnight on Aug 18th

I havent used it for 2 weeks - and await the X Box version

In the last 4 days - I have purchased a few more Orbx addons - inc. all 5 of the USA TE series - and downloaded

something like 700 Gbs - and installed them on P3D V4.5 and V5. 

I have reinstalled my other P3D bits and Pieces - like Sky 3D - Chaseplane etc etc 

I now have almost 100 Orbx addons - All the TE and a raft of regionals and airports - a stable V4 and awaiting a V5.1

which should cover me for all my shades of aircraft - on PC

That alone should demonstrate my answer to the OP - and add weight to the plea for continuance of Orbx production

of addons for the p3D sims - and the improved XP11

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I am not buying any new flight simulators until I know exactly what is happening with all of them. The new Microsoft Flight Simulator is currently the most popular kid on the block, but I want to see what happens over the next year before I make a decision to join the new gang. The plug could be pulled if things do not go well, and there are too many bugs and issues with it at the moment, together with missing features. I am sticking with P3Dv4.5HF2 and TrueEarth GB and Netherlands. I have plenty of detailed scenery to enjoy in those two areas as I fly my PMDG 737NGX back and forth :)

• Like 1

Tested Florida to-day - Key West - these 2 shots might demonstrate my earlier Mail

Which do you think is Orbx TE and which is MSFS ?? - both are running around 30 FPS

Florida Key West.jpg

Florida Key West.jpg

Edited by John Heaton

Easy also, because in the bottom shot John, you left the MSFS POI markers on ;) But, I do think the top shot looks more like P3D anyhow.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
18 hours ago, DeeJay said:

I might be out of place here, but I'm still willing to invest into P3d v4 addons ...OK, if possible those ones that will be upgraded for MSFS for little money. The main reason not to invest too much into P3d anymore, is that fact that I've already got so much! A lot of important addons do exist, and I've got almose more stuff than I can fly to/with. It's more like niche regions that I would want to invest in.

I second that, Dominik.

And the "niche region" you quote will be OLC Asia for me.

• Like 1

After flying last night in the new MS2020 Japan update , which by the way was jaw dropping  . I would be surprised if OLC Asia ever makes it to marked , I hope I'm wrong for all of our forum member's who still use P3D ( myself included ) . :(:(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
15 hours ago, pmb said:

I have always been a low and slow flyer, mainly C172, that's why I've always been with Orbx. I confess I am absolutely taken by MSFS. It was love at first sight when I was allowed to test it back in February and nothing changed since.

I still have all the other sims (P3D5, XP11, AFS2, plus even FSX) plus plenty of addons installed and don't see a reason to uninstall them anytime soon. However, when I think what to do with a couple of hours left in the evening, I always end up in MSFS. It's the sheer beauty and naturality of scenery and atmosphere which I've never seen before, not even in AeroflyFS2. So, in a sense, I made the switch and - Orbx may forgive me - only keep buying MSFS addons from this point. Stuffing four sims in parallel may be good for addon makers, but I just can't afford it.

Pure tubeliner pilots may feel otherwise, but I am sure most of them will make the switch as well as soon as their toys will become available in a year or so. And the A320 (accompanied with the community mod) may already now attract some of them.

Kind regards, Michael

+1

Thank you Michael!

I couldn't have said it better. These are exactly my sentiments.

Plus I get much better performance in MSFS than in any other sim. And this in a much more complex enviromment with much higher settings.

No other sim is as immersive as MSFS. Sometimes I have the feeling flying in the real world.

PS:  and some of the GA aircrsfts are really superb, like the C152, C172, the Caravan and the Savage Cub.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

The P3D screenshot above would look even better with the lime green SpeedTrees disabled.

Christopher, that's not a P3d screenshot, it is an Orbx TE screenshot.

Many of us always compare the default MSFS with the the other sims enhanced by 3rd party add ons. This comparing apples with oranges.

• Like 3

I confess that yesterday I touched P3D4 the first time since June, as I spent all sim time with MSFS. As I'm a strictly low'n slow prop flyer all the autopilot and FMC issues in MSFS didn't bother me much. I get the illusion to really fly a plane just much more often now, as lighting, aerodynamics and scenery are much more  believable.

Last week I bought a new RTX2080super and upgraded to 32 GB RAM (MSFS has stable > 30 fps now with most sliders a high or ultra, CPU usage belwo 70%), and wanted to know how it works with the old tech. Rised the LOD radius to ultra, scenery complexity and draw distance to very high, most other settings at max, and guess what: loading takes longer than with MSFS, and with the default Mooney Acclaim I got 15 fps on the apron at KLAX. First CPU core was at 100%, GPU bored at 20%, used only 4 GB of RAM! Steering the aircraft also felt much less agile as in MSFS. In one word, it was disappointing. I'll try and delete the P3D.cfg to see if that helps, but basically as P3D builds on very outdated technology, I could imagine to delete P3D as soon as Asobo brings some helicopters and hopefully also gliders and reals thermals into MSFS.

I fly 50/50 VFR/IFR and I'm having a blast in FS. Yes FS is still practicly Beta, where number of things that does work are outnumbered by those that don't, and only airliner that kinda work is moded a320neo, but it's still fun and refreshing to fly in it. FSX at the beginning was a joke for FS9 users, but it matured after a year and a half, let's see what Asobo will do with it. If it won't be good by then, we can always play XP or P3D. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Easy also, because in the bottom shot John, you left the MSFS POI markers on ;) But, I do think the top shot looks more like P3D anyhow.

Agree

If you add FSDT Key West to MSFS it wold be a more fair comparison against P3D + TE FL

Cheers

Carlos

@John Heaton

This is how Key West looks in my MSFS with most sliders only set to high, not ultra and a fairly low resolution of 1920 x 1080.

I think you should check your settings in MSFS, because there seems to be something just not right in you screenshot.

Key West.jpg

Edited by wolfko
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 5

Hi Wolfgang,

John's screenshot was taken in offline mode in which the ground textures are limited to generic landclass tiles and photogrammetry areas, like Key West, aren't displayed either so just the standard "autogen" trees and buildings.

Cheers, Holger

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

So here's what's interesting.  If you take a look at the MSFS photo and the Orbx TE photo they are exactly the same.  With that being said, it's nice to know that Orbx was actually "ahead of the game"???  We have been able to enjoy scenery like in the new MSFS, months ahead of the time of its release.  It's pretty nice when you look at it that way.  

What's also great is that we have choices.  I spent a lot of time on MSFS when it was just released.  However I have put it on the shelf and now I'm back to my P3D.  I have so much invested in P3D and for me it feels more real than MSFS.  However to Wolfko's point, MSFS feels more real to him.  I would have to say that we are both right.  His "feel real" is obviously different than mine and there is nothing wrong with that.  Fortunately we have choices which supports each of our "feel reals" which is why I don't think Orbx will be throwing in the towel to P3D anytime soon. Especially since there's still such a huge fanbase for it.  I won't be dumping P3D until a lot more add-ons and peripherals are available to MSFS. Something tells me that will be for a while to come. 

Gary

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi Wolfgang,

John's screenshot was taken in offline mode in which the ground textures are limited to generic landclass tiles and photogrammetry areas, like Key West, aren't displayed either so just the standard "autogen" trees and buildings.

Cheers, Holger

Cheers Holger -- well spotted

I suppose - even at 85 I have to learn that - "I'm never to old to learn"

I really didn't realize that somehow MSFS had switched me to "OFFLINE". 

I haven't uses MSFS for sometime - and previously - some of the sceneries were good

and not downgraded ---- so something went wrong

I apologize to MSFS for misconstruing their Florida - and maybe others beside me - can learn from it

and I did send that in because I had  similar beef about flying around my old stomping ground 

of Victoria and Philip Island

However it still proves a point  - my mid range I5 390 / 8GB RX 580 - handles Orbx TE - P3D4.5 at 30FPS

and I don't need to spend my pension on upgrading my computer to run MSFS and can well enjoy my Orbx

Portfolio in P3D V4 and V5 (.1) -----until MS get the X box version up and running;)

So now I will have to start up MSFS  again - just to see why MS downgraded me - since my spec. was the 

one recommended  by MS - 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Cheers Holger -- well spotted

I suppose - even at 85 I have to learn that - "I'm never to old to learn

I apologize to MSFS for misconstruing their Florida - and maybe others beside me - can learn from it

and I did send that in because I had  similar beef about flying around my old stomping ground 

of Victoria and Philip Island

So now I will have to start up MSFS  again - just to see why MS downgraded me - since my spec. was the 

one recommended  by MS - 

An Update - and a Confirmed apology to MS/Asobo - I was wrong! -:(

and another thanks to Holger - who - rather - than just make criticisms - spotted what was wrong 

- and told all of us -what my error was

I went back to MSFS - checked the setting - ( I must have found where to alter the setting that MSFS changed)

and re-did the fly over Inverloch in Victoria - ( I used to live there)-  and actually landed at my Mates farm strip - 

clocking 30FPS on High Settings.

However I will still await the X box version before I give up my P3D

Florida is the next - when I stop playing with my new Turbo Otter I bought for P3D via Central yesterday:smile: