resolved Central shows white splash screen

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone out there has come across this issue. I ran the previous version of Central, and it immediately offered the 4.1.22 update and installed it. 

However, when I ran the new Central, the splash screen and main screen were white. The splash screen briefly showed the dark top border, but only for a second.

Any help would be welcome! Central log is attached.

Operating system:Win 8.1 x64  

Simulator:  FSX 

Screenshot:  

Issue:  White Central Screen

central.log

Hi Doug

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I worked through Nick's list and updated/re-installed where necessary and then re-booted, but sadly the problem remains. I cannot think of any major changes I have made to the system which might have produced this error; still head scratching!

Cheers

I have installed/repaired all the C++ redistributables and prior to that ran chkdsk /f /r. After the re-boot I did notice an improvement, but Central would not load properly. The first screen is white and the second one is dark grey. It's as though it NEARLY loads up.

Any help/ideas etc would be most welcome. Nothing appears in Windows Event Viewer either, although I was clutching at straws looking there!

Cheers

Hi Doug,

Many thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested, re-booted after uninstalling, but after re-installation downloaded from Orbx direct the problem remains. I did notice that the minimise, resize and exit buttons briefly appeared on the second screen in the top right hand corner, but they were only visible for a second or two. 

Also.....after completing the Central download from Orbx direct an error msg appeared as in the screen shot. I had to stop and re-start my browser to re-download.

The mystery deepens!

Cheers

central error.jpg

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the reply; I have checked, but nothing is running in real time apart from Defender. I have Malwarebytes and Superantispyware both of which I run on demand periodically in case one of the others misses something. The only thing which has cropped up recently is that I was unable to run a free program which used FireMonkey which in turn used Dx 10. I have Dx11 installed and apparently problem free according to dxdiag.

Cheers

Hi Doug,

Many thanks for your reply. I checked Malwarebytes and Superantispyware and both programs are not running. I disabled Malwarebytes service which made no difference either. When I fire up Central its icon appears in the bottom right hand corner and if I exit it from the task bar it remains running in the corner, offering reset position, show Central and quit. Reset position merely moves the dark grey window to the top left hand corner.

Cheers

Hi @yorkielad68

Your central.log file unfortunately doesn't provide an indication of the cause of the error as it appears to be occurring within an operating system DLL that the application links with. This message indicates that the error is occurring in System.dll with a memory access violation.

image.png

Is your operating system up to date with the latest service packs/ updates? Can you let me know what version of Orbx Central you were running before the update? I can try diff the two versions to see if there was any change to the version of system.dll that's required. This is unlikely however as Windows is usually pretty good with backwards compatibility.

Many apologies Josh for my very late response, but I've been away from my computer on urgent family business. The last version I was using was v4.12.14. That was working ok until I was offered the latest Central update. 

I hope you can shed some light on the issue,

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Hi Doug and Josh,

I have tried creating an exception for Central in Windows Defender, thinking it might have flagged up something different about the latest version, but after re-booting the program just shows blank splash and main program screens. 

Certainly Defender never took exception to the previous version I used v4.12.14.

Cheers

Hi @yorkielad68,

Can you perform the following steps:

• Completely close Orbx Central. Ensure it's not running in the system tray or in the background.
  • Delete the C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Orbx-central-updater folder.
  • Locate your central.json settings file. This can be found within the same folder you found your central.log file.
  • Inside this settings file you should see an option called "updateCentralOnLaunch". That looks like this.
  • image.png
  • If this is set to true change it to false then save and close the file.
  • Download Orbx Central version 4.1.14 from here: https://storage.cloud.google.com/Orbx-web-assets/software/central/4.1.14-17b6cdce/Orbx-central-4.1.14.exe
  • Install and launch it and it should start without automatically updating to the latest version.

Check if version 4.1.14 has any of the issues you are experiencing with the latest version.

Hi Josh

Many thanks for your reply. I deleted the updater folder, opened the central.json file and changed the updateCentralonlaunch to false. I downloaded Central 4.1.14 and installed. I got the Loading/Initialising page but nothing else. I have included the central log file from that attempt. I notice that the file refers to Central 4.1.21, but that's probably not significant!

As always, any thoughts are most welcome and your efforts are appreciated.

Cheers

central.log

Hi @yorkielad68

11 hours ago, yorkielad68 said:

I notice that the file refers to Central 4.1.21, but that's probably not significant!

Unfortunately this means that 4.1.21 is running and not 4.1.14.

Did Orbx Central launch with a splash screen and update? One thing to try, copying your central.json settings file to your desktop, uninstall Orbx Central completely, putting the central.json settings file back into place and running the 4.1.14 installer.

Hi Josh,

Many thanks for your reply. When Central launches, I briefly see 'Loading and Initialising', but nothing else. No mention of updating. I copied the central json file to the desktop, and double checked that the required line was set to false. I uninstalled Central and looked at the updater folder. In the pending folder I noticed there was a copy of a later version of Centrasl than 4.1.14. I deleted the entire updater folder. I replaced the json file in the central folder.  I downloaded and installed Central from your link, but still no joy. The initial screen was as described above.

The uploaded image is a copy of an error msg in Event Viewer from when I tried to install Central. I installed again, but this time error free.

The Central log still shows 4.1.21. I wonder if there is still something somewhere which was not removed, but I followed the usual procedure!

Once again I welcome your thoughts. Hope this isn't going to end up with a Windows re-install.....

Cheers

Josh error.jpg

central.log

Hi @yorkielad68

The event log provided indicates the version 4.1.14 is indeed running and is faulting in the same way the the latest version is faulting on your machine. This confirms that there hadn't been a system requirement change between these two versions.

What's appears alarming to me is that there is a System.dll file in a temp folder at C:\Users\Yorkie\AppData\Local\Temp\nsp3FEC.tmp\System.dll. The Orbx Central Application doesn't ship a System.dll file. It's possible that the windows installer software itself creates this but I don't currently have access to a Windows machine to double check if this is the case.

As it's in a temp folder you should be safe to completely remove :\Users\Yorkie\AppData\Local\Temp\nsp3FEC.tmp\ and reattempt the setup.

Hi Josh,

Many thanks for your help. I emptied the contents of AppData\Local\Temp, uninstalled Central, put my saved copy of the json file back in place and downloaded Central 4.1.14 again. As soon as the download starts, the system.dll (12Kb) appears in a folder within the Local\Temp folder. This file then disappears when the Central installation starts, leaving nsProcess.dll. Attached images show the system file and the Central folder post install. Also for the record, Central log after today's attempt.

After attempting to install, the Loading\Initialising message appears, leaving a blank screen. I have run a virus check on the system.dll which comes up clean. I use Revo Uninstaller; I have noticed that when I uninstalled Central before today, it showed in Revo's list as Central 4.1.23. Today it showed as 4.1.14.....!

Thanks again for your help and interest,

Cheers

Josh Central.jpg

Josh system file.jpg

central.log

Hi @yorkielad68

On 9/18/2020 at 11:01 PM, yorkielad68 said:

This file then disappears when the Central installation starts, leaving nsProcess.dll.

This means that the installer is indeed creating the system.dll fiel and the crash is occurring directly in the installer. What I don't yet understand is how version 4.1.14 managed to install for you previously without issue but is now exhibiting resulting in this error.

The installer creator is a external dependency we use so it doesn't log to the central.log file. Is there any log file created in the c:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Orbx-central-updater folder?

Hi all,

I've gone back to trying to install the latest version of Central as trying to run 4.1.14 hit a wall. Trying to run the latest version throws a blank white startup screen, followed by a dark grey program screen. Central shows minimised in the system tray offering 'Show Central/Reset/Quit'. Task Manager shows Central using around 40Mb of memory. Many thanks to all the Orbx experts who have chipped in thus far, but I'm no further down the line to a resolution of the problem.

Is this Java related? But then I'm not getting any errors; there's nothing in the Event Viewer. I've run sfc /scannow again and there are no resource violations. Windows 8.1 x64 is up to date. What does the Central install process use to install itself? I just feel that there's a file somewhere that's making the install process fall over and I'm damned if I can find it. 

To be honest, I'm concerned that sooner or later I will need to verify or sync my Orbx purchases and at the moment that's impossible, so if there's anyone out there with an idea or two to help a frustrated flyer from Yorkshire in Lincolnshire UK I'd be eternally grateful. I enclose the log from my latest attempt.

Cheers

central.log

Hi @yorkielad68

This isn't Java related. If you're seeing Central in the system tray this means you've managed to get passed the installation process.

The log file abruptly stops right where it would normally show Central scanning for simulators.  Can you provide a screenshot of the blank white screen you're encountering? 

Hi Josh,

Here are two screenshots, first one is the initial startup screen, second one is the main program screen.

Just a thought; is this maybe account related? Over the years I have amassed 3 Orbx accounts, but I have only ever used one of them to logon with Central.

Cheers

white screen 1.jpg

white screen 2.jpg

Hello,

I realise that it may be unlikely, but I use Nvidia Profile Inspector to apply modifications to suit some games.

I believe that many of the settings are also in the Nvidia Control Panel.

The other day, I started to see some very odd anomalies on my monitor, various things not displaying at all well.

Eventually, I realised that I had applied my FSX settings to the Global profile and as soon as I restored that to its

default settings, they all went away.

I don't suppose you could have applied some non-default settings in the same way?

Certainly, the sharpening function can play havoc if applied across the board.

• Like 1