Hi Fellors,

I've been using AVG for years but have been told there is far better programs available.  I'm tempted to give NOD32 a go.  Let me know ya thoughts please.

Lynchie

AVG - and I paid for it  :P  . Actually, it seems to be doing a fine job.  Went to D/l fps_limiter from some site and it knocked out 6 malware things,  not the first time either and ( touch wood ) have not had a problem with it . Im clean - so far so good

I was using AVG but became uncomfortable with some of the things they were doing and I've changed to NOD32, even though it's an annual fee. O/S is Win7 Home Premium (64-bit).

However, I've recently turned off disk scanning since it was causing DLNA erreors when using Media Center to stream content to my TV (via a PS3).

I haven't done any tests yet to see if file scanning slows FSX, but I have a suspicion it might. Any views on this?

Greg

Guest J van E

NOD32 here too. The best there is in all aspects (being 'light' is a very important one). I'd never ever even LOOK at any Norton stuff: it's the most resource heavy and OS-crippling AV there is.

I use Norton on my workhorse pc and scan everything then scan everything before it goes onto my flightsim pc, As i only go on line with the flightsim pc to activate some aircraft and of course my Orbx stuff.

cheers

Iain

I'm on my second year using BitDefender Internet Security. I might look into these other suggestions. I never had any issues with BitDefender. I only wish it had one button to switch off the anti-virus and firewall if I needed to do that.

AVG for me. Had it for last 5 years (free version) and not one virus problem yet!

They have updated it quite a lot in the last 12 months or so and seems to have all the features.

I tried Norton a while ago and it was a memory and resource hog, and even the latest versions seem no different.

Until I get a virus slip by the AVG, I'll stick with it :)

G'day all,

IMHO, all the above are good options, except Norton.

I've been using Kaspersky IS 2010 for the last year and I've been quite happy with it.  From my experience, it's definitely better than Avast (free) and Norton that I was using before.  I don't like Norton because it is a resource hog and I discovered that Avast caused my internet connection to drop unexpectedly (I did tests to prove this).

I'd like to add that one also needs to consider protection from malware, spyware, rootkits and other online threats inherent from being connected to the WWW - not just anti-virus protection.  But I digress - there are just so many options out there and, like tweaking FSX, no one solution suits all users.  You've just got to find one that seems to work for you and assess it's efficiency from time to time.

Cheers,

I am actually using Microsoft Security Essentials. Virtually no memory footprint and look let's be honest who really knows how good these are and really if the big brands actually do their job. I haven't had a problem with MSE yet.

I used to use AVG religuiously but believe MSE does just a good a job. I certainly wouldn't touch anything from Norton with a 50 foot pole. Ditto Kaspersky.

NOD32 on my laptop for years, MSE on my stationary rig. Knock on wood no problems thus far. I'm on the road with my laptop, spring  and summers in Europe, works great here, too (unfortunately a "no fly zone" here - just reading about FTX's new additions...)    :(

OK a couple of points " NOD32"  is NOT " ESET Smart Security" .

NOD32 is an AV program of some repute and I personally will put it up against the best in the industry while "ESET Smart security" is the next generation NOD32 and IMHO is good but the addition of Firewall filtering can be a bitch.

NOD 32 is great and I have used it for a LONG time but after upgrading to " ESET Smart security" I have had issues particularly relating to the inbuilt Firewall. I run and old PII PC with Linux as a f Firewall for the home network anyway so this is not an issue.

I WILL NOT give Norton nor Kaspersky Products Disk space!!.

As with all AV programs you hear both good and bad reports, I am only relating my experiences from working in the field on and on for the last 15 years.

Now a couple of myths that I will dispel right here right now is the popular misconception that you cannot run multiple AV programs at the same time as this is simply put, TOTALLY untrue!! In fact is inadvisable in today's Viral infested Internet.

NOD32 is happy to work beside Emsisoft "A2Free", and "Malwarebytes AntiMalware".

You just need to suck it and see.

"Clam" is awesome and has an even smaller footprint than does NOD32 but unfortunately they do not play well together, not Clam after installing NOD32 (I have not tried the other way around).

"Clam" does not do active scans but is pretty quick watching what programs are starting and files that are opening "This is Good".

It will run happily with AVG, although AVG is now fast becoming Bloatware itself it is still a very viable alternative.

To be blunt what I have witnessed first hand in IT "BitDefender", "MSE", "Windows Defender" are all names I would not recommend.

As with all software recommendations they ten to be software related as some programs get along together and some don't. My advise is run NO less than 2 and preferable 3 Anti Malware / AV programs at any one time, if you don't agree then al I can say is I'm the one with a contiguous system that has never been rebuilt since '99 but been migrated and upgraded through many hardware changes without any viral infestation - so I must be doing something right.

I am actually using Microsoft Security Essentials. Virtually no memory footprint and look let's be honest who really knows how good these are and really if the big brands actually do their job. I haven't had a problem with MSE yet.

I used to use AVG religuiously but believe MSE does just a good a job. I certainly wouldn't touch anything from Norton with a 50 foot pole. Ditto Kaspersky.

Have to agree, I use the same on recommendation from an IT friend; I don't use the internet a heck of a lot and it seems to do it's job smooth and without too much fuss!

I use G-Data, it´s German, does come with other languages, though. Got a top review in a consumer test magazine.

Except for the occasional hesitation when opening a window where it scans the pictures it doesn´t seem to slow down performance. I can install whatever without having to turn it off, have not encountered false positives.

Bjorn

I've got AVG (paid version which isn't very expensive) and Microsoft (with the firewall switched off) and have had that combination for some years now.  Not a moment's problem.  I only have the AVG scanner set for three times a week and if it coincides have to remember to pause it while flying. 

All the rest I leave on, even when downloading and using realworld weather.  No effect on performance whatever, as far as I can see .

I'll not easily be persuaded to change it .

John

Been using Avast! for a few years now. It is updated daily, is FREE for the personal edition and is not resourse hungry (I too gave up using Norton 360 for that reason). It speaks for itself, several years, no virus, configurable and sits quietly in the background and no cost - what more could you want.

Cheers Anton....