Jump to content

MSFS2020 with a quite old Laptop : great results !


Recommended Posts

Outstanding shots from Orcas Jean Marc , pretty cool that you can run on the intermediate settings in 2020 . :):)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I

15 minutes ago, BradB said:

Outstanding shots from Orcas Jean Marc , pretty cool that you can run on the intermediate settings in 2020 . :):)

+1

 

Pretty cool indeed JM . They are spectacular. :)

Its an aspect of the product (its scalability) that needs t be seen to be believed

 

I posted a little note in the the MS2020 tips and techniques section that may be of interest to you

I think it will help to further improve your flying experience

 

Cheers

Pete

 

 

Edited by renault
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, jean marc said:

I was very hesitating to buy and to try MSFS2020 with my old laptop configuration ...

(GPU GTX980M 4Gb - i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz - 16 Ram ... but software on SSD nVMe PCie  - Laptop Rog G752VY from 2005)

 

 

How is it possible to use MS2020 on a laptop that was made in year 2005 and SSD drive was not even invented in 2005??????

 

Regards,

 

Aharon

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BradB said:

Outstanding shots from Orcas Jean Marc , pretty cool that you can run on the intermediate settings in 2020

thanks John ... a really great new FS ... really happy with it :) and great Orcas again by Orbx !

 

1 hour ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

Wow, I'm impressed!

me too :P thank you !

 

1 hour ago, renault said:

+1

 

Pretty cool indeed JM . They are spectacular. :)

Its an aspect of the product (its scalability) that needs t be seen to be believed

 

I posted a little note in the the MS2020 tips and techniques section that may be of interest to you

I think it will help to further improve your flying experience

 

Cheers

Pete

many thanks Pete ... And also for the link I will read this post tomorrow with a grand interest  !!  :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aharon said:

How is it possible to use MS2020 on a laptop that was made in year 2005 and SSD drive was not even invented in 2005??????

 

Regards,

 

Aharon

oh yes a really silly typo mistake : of course my Laptop is from 2015  ... and not 2005 !!!!    (... and SSD of 2020 added on a second slot in replacement of the initial one of 2015 but too small 128 gb -> 2to  !!)

Thanks for your correction :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Great shots well done.

thank you Iain ... well again a great job by Orbx on this beautiful area :)

 

6 hours ago, adambar said:

Excellent work there JM. :)

Thanks Adam O0

 

huge pleasure to fly with the new FS !!

(and so glad to be able to do it with good results...not maybe over London - too high config needs - but so many great "off the cities" places)

Link to post
Share on other sites

@jean marc,

 

Not a problem

 

I have been using exclusively and only laptops for flight simming for past 12 years and the fact that you said you managed to get MS2020 run in your year 2015 laptop got me curious.  Does MS2020 run smoothly on your year 2015 laptop or does MS2020 shutter few times on your laptop?

When you said you added extra SSD drive to second slot, do you mean you added internal SSD drive to your year 2015 laptop or do you mean attaching external SSD drive to your laptop?

 

Regards,

 

Aharon

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Jean Marc, color me impressed, no, make that very impressed (even with the corrected info).  I am more worried about the data than I am my computer specs.  I know how big the download and install is but I have to wonder how much data (say per hour) would it take to run a decent session?  No information on google that I could find as of yet on that particular question, maybe someone here will know!

BTW, excellent screenshots! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Dario said:

Splendid shots, Jean Marc! 

Thanks Dario ... great others too from many remote places - a link will be issued :) 

 

 

19 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Thanks for your good experience report, Jean Marc!

Glad you liked Gerold - msfs is fabulous to explore in photoscenery the all world !!! and it is really really great already with my poor config !! :rolleyes: 

See some views on the next following link :)

 

 

19 hours ago, Aharon said:

Does MS2020 run smoothly on your year 2015 laptop or does MS2020 shutter few times on your laptop?

yes smoothly with 30fps (due to "intermediate" level choice in the setup) but I did not try heavy places as London city 

19 hours ago, Aharon said:

When you said you added extra SSD drive to second slot, do you mean you added internal SSD drive to your year 2015 laptop or do you mean attaching external SSD drive to your laptop?

first internal M2 NVme Pcie SSD with OS etc (p3d4 ...) and second internal M2 NVme Pcie SSD with msfs2020 (and p3d4 addon sceneries...) 

 

 

16 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Well Jean Marc, color me impressed, no, make that very impressed (even with the corrected info

it is really great to fly over - msfs is a revolution IMHO - fantastic ambiance just need A2a planes etc

16 hours ago, Wakashi said:

I am more worried about the data than I am my computer specs. 

ypou should be very confortable with your RTX (much better than my GPU)

16 hours ago, Wakashi said:

I know how big the download and install is but I have to wonder how much data (say per hour) would it take to run a decent session?

It took me 9h hours about to get the download (I choose the standard version - 91 GB - but choose the premium !! *) 

The launch is quite quick relatively to p3d4... a few minutes

 

 

* I made a mistake : msfs is great and worth to go directly to the premium for the extra planes !!

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SO HERE IS THE LINK for other screenshots  : click on  screenshots-msfs-jm    O0   

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Happy flights :)

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jean marc said:

It took me 9h hours about to get the download (I choose the standard version - 91 GB - but choose the premium !! *) 

The launch is quite quick relatively to p3d4... a few minutes

Thanks Jean Marc, for the info, I will certainly go for the Premium Edition when I get it!  But like I said, not much worried about my computer handling the sim, but my network, I have unlimited data but not very fast, so I would hate to buy the premium version to find I would only get standard depiction of the scenery! 
Excellent collection of screenshots at the link above! :D

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Orbxtreme said:

Really impressive results. There is a smoothness in the scenery that looks very much like the real life.

Thank you François :) the Colors, trees, skies, sea, ... All is very great and more natural and the fantastic improvment is the photoscenery for everywhere smoothly integrated...see the screenshots by the link in the deserts it is really beautiful !! 

 

14 hours ago, wain71 said:

 

great shots, if thats lower settings it's still very good..

 

Thanks :) yes intermediate level is already really beautiful ... Plenty of autogen and great trees or ground details and so ... !!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Wakashi said:

my network, I have unlimited data but not very fast, so I would hate to buy the premium version to find I would only get standard depiction of the scenery! 
Excellent collection of screenshots at the link above! :D

I have a normal internet connections - 4 to 10 MB/s and it is Fully great for downloading during the flight smoothly :)

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jean marc said:

I have a normal internet connections - 4 to 10 MB/s and it is Fully great for downloading during the flight smoothly :)

Thank you Sir, that answer certainly helps! :D

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lifejogger said:

I have a 10+ year old computer and I am not sure if MSFS 2020 would work on it. 

I am nearly 8 years old. I mean, my rig. As a consequence, we both are at a time when it is worth to consider a serious move...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Great looking shots form your old laptop.  I have a 10+ year old computer and I am not sure if MSFS 2020 would work on it. 

thanks John :) 

 

 

3 hours ago, Stillwater said:

I am nearly 8 years old. I mean, my rig. As a consequence, we both are at a time when it is worth to consider a serious move...

it should be great with your GPU with 6GB :)

 

----------------------------------------------

 

Did you watch some of the screenshots of the link I provided  it is really great to be able to fly at present in the all world in base of photoscenery ... look for exemple the screenshots of Ethiopian flights & Northern Chad it is amazing (already with my old config) !! :)

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mikee said:

Amazing Shots :)

thank you Mike :) Glad you liked - great new sim and amazing Orcas new scenery !

 

7 hours ago, Rodsmajor said:

Great set! Glad you can run this beauty :) 

Many thanks !! So glad :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great shots, very realistic, something for many to think about.

I'll buy a little more time first, as I have not long had p3dv4. 

But I know what will happen and I will give in to temptation.:rolleyes:

cheers

Gumby

.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Having an old laptop myself (DOB 5/22/38) I recognize your hesitance but it looks good. 

thanks OND

I did again a great flight over Scotland (Isle of Sky and around) and over Madagascar : the new sim is really really beautiful ... and the repaint of skin seems not too hard ...

 

PS  I think also to increase the RAM from 16 to 32 Gb (and maybe highest speed 2133 > 3200) and could be a benefice for a not too big cost - but not sure)

 

17 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

Great shots, very realistic, something for many to think about.

I'll buy a little more time first, as I have not long had p3dv4. 

But I know what will happen and I will give in to temptation.:rolleyes:

cheers

Gumby

thank you ! great to have comments from Tasmania ... I have been there a long time ago ... also in Launceston ... more than 20 years ago B) arriving from Australia / Philip island to a small airfield on the northern coast ... great souvenirs :)

Have you seen the shots avalaible by the link : the improvments are fantastic with the new sim !!   

Happy flights

Link to post
Share on other sites

G'day Jean Marc

I hope you enjoyed your trip down here it's a unique place 

with so much to see and do. No bias of coarse:D. I will certainly

do more investigating into the new sim. From what I see it's a sure 

winner but will wait for further addons such as aircraft to become 

available before I take the plunge I think.:rolleyes:

All the best 

Cheers

Gumby

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

I will certainly

do more investigating into the new sim. From what I see it's a sure 

winner but will wait for further addons such as aircraft to become 

available before I take the plunge I think.:rolleyes:

do it next :) You will will see Tasmania with a photoscenery base - I will try soon the Craddle Mountain area (where I camped and hiked - a great souvenir ...) :) 

(PS was great with MSE photoscenery but with not autogen )

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2020 at 10:20 PM, jean marc said:

Did you watch some of the screenshots of the link I provided  it is really great to be able to fly at present in the all world in base of photoscenery ... look for exemple the screenshots of Ethiopian flights & Northern Chad it is amazing (already with my old config) !!

I just found the time to check these screenies, and they are amazing. And quite convincing...

 

18 hours ago, jean marc said:

You will will see Tasmania with a photoscenery base - I will try soon the Craddle Mountain area

Would you give us a link with these screenshots as well, Jean Marc? I know the area and thus can compare it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

G'day Jean Marc

I hope you enjoyed your trip down here it's a unique place 

with so much to see and do. No bias of coarse:D. I will certainly

do more investigating into the new sim. From what I see it's a sure 

winner but will wait for further addons such as aircraft to become 

available before I take the plunge I think.:rolleyes:

All the best 

Cheers

Gumby

I´ll do exactly the same regarding my sim.

And I think exactly the same about the apple isle.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stillwater said:

I´ll do exactly the same regarding my sim.

And I think exactly the same about the apple isle.

Gerold I'm curious.

Did you ever live in Tas? as you do seem to have a vast knowledge of the place.

What's the story if you don't mind me asking.  

cheers 

Gumby

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

Gerold I'm curious.

Did you ever live in Tas? as you do seem to have a vast knowledge of the place.

What's the story if you don't mind me asking.  

cheers 

Gumby

No worries, Gumby. I just love the island and have been fortunate to visit it 4 times. As yet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2020 at 8:23 AM, Stillwater said:

Would you give us a link with these screenshots as well, Jean Marc? I know the area and thus can compare it.

I drop screenshots of the flights in Algeria (beautiful desert/canyons area - see map enclosed) and in Tasmania (Cradle mtn area) at the link provided post #15 ... Sorry I put quite a lot of them (all beautiful :)) - should be better to select on the really best but I had no time to do it O0

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2020 at 10:59 PM, jean marc said:

I drop screenshots of the flights in Algeria (beautiful desert/canyons area - see map enclosed) and in Tasmania (Cradle mtn area) at the link provided post #15 ... Sorry I put quite a lot of them (all beautiful :)) - should be better to select on the really best but I had no time to do it O0

These are outstanding shots, Jean Marc. You are about to convince me...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Stillwater said:

These are outstanding shots, Jean Marc. You are about to convince me...

do not hesitate Gerold, believe me, it is a new world ! You have a good pc for that (maybe 32GB DDR4 would suit better - I have just upgraded to more RAM and I am happy for the benefice)

Also an advice go directly to the Premium Deluxe as the 10 extra planes seems great to have and the update after is not possible (uptonow) at reasonable price, and I personally regret my choice to have "only" the Standard edition

Edited by jean marc
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...